The Student Room Group

What is causing the Africa-Europe migrant crisis?

Obviously I can understand why Syrians and Iraqis are fleeing to Europe, regardless of the legality of this. But why are so many sub-Saharan Africans now coming to Europe? Are they also fleeing wars, like in Somalia and Mali, or are they economic migrants? And if they are econ migrants, why are they only coming in such large numbers now (2015-2018)? It’s just that I often see news reports of boats filled with people who are obviously African in the Mediterranean.
Reply 1
there isn't a migrant crisis.
Original post by Mandem67
Obviously I can understand why Syrians and Iraqis are fleeing to Europe, regardless of the legality of this. But why are so many sub-Saharan Africans now coming to Europe? Are they also fleeing wars, like in Somalia and Mali, or are they economic migrants? And if they are econ migrants, why are they only coming in such large numbers now (2015-2018)? It’s just that I often see news reports of boats filled with people who are obviously African in the Mediterranean.

Economics.
Better life in west, education, jobs, peace, standard of living, mortality.
Theres also a lot more wars, inequality and corruption to flee from.
Over-population too, it is estimated that Africa will hold more than half the world's numbers by 2050 on current trends. Chinese rapidly increasing economic influence will help Africa take the steps it needs to develop a middle class with a kid or two only, in about a century.
Original post by Truths
there isn't a migrant crisis.

Italians will beg to differ, of course.
Original post by Mandem67
And if they are econ migrants, why are they only coming in such large numbers now (2015-2018)? It’s just that I often see news reports of boats filled with people who are obviously African in the Mediterranean.

It was the fall of the Libyan regime that opened up a new path to the networks smuggling people and other things into Europe from Africa. The unwillingness by the EU to stop it and the presence of several sympathetic NGOs in the Med has helped make it good business.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by zhog
Italians will beg to differ, of course.

Its funny how people see Italy as this aryan homeland, where africans did not exist before 2010 lmao. Italy's relation with Africa, particularly North Africa has existed for centuries. Some of the oldest culture in Italy is from North Africa. All of Sicily's tradition is what is today because of africans. Even the language. Losers like Kate Hopkins will tell you the likes of Italy and Spain are "historical white countries" and its just not true lol:bebored:
Original post by Truths
Its funny how people see Italy as this aryan homeland, where africans did not exist before 2010 lmao. Italy's relation with Africa, particularly North Africa has existed for centuries. Some of the oldest culture in Italy is from North Africa. All of Sicily's tradition is what is today because of africans. Even the language. Losers like Kate Hopkins will tell you the likes of Italy and Spain are "historical white countries" and its just not true lol:bebored:

Replying to one statement with something entirely tangential. I like it. I think I'll join in.

Hannibal was largely unsuccessful. All he really managed was a grand tour of Southern Europe and his battlefield successes were not appreciated at home. Essentially, the Councils of Carthage saw it as funding hugely expensive military expeditions that seemed only to consume resources and realise no treasure nor political gain.
Reply 8
Depends on who you ask but broadly there are economic drivers from all of the countries over laced with threats from terrorism, religious hatred, slavery, murder, rape etc. etc. etc. Places like Nigeria, Congo, Eritrea are far from nice places. Indeed, as much as one dislikes Trump his description wasnt far off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending