The Student Room Group

The Grind For Grades😎

The Grind for Great Grades(I hope so at least)

Hi, hey and welcome to my GYG. So I'm 16 and starting sixth form tomorrow. My hobbies are eating, sleeping, reading, watching TV shows/movies/anime and just wasting time on the internet.

I've seen so many great GYGs over the last year and I've seen how they have helped people so I thought I would make one and see if I could benefit from one. I procrastinate a lot. When I say a lot I mean a lotttttt(heck I've put off making this GYG for a few days now). I procrastinated a lot during year 11 and it caused me to mess up real bad and start revising for my GCSE exams the night before. I know that had I started earlier, instead of wasting time on the internet, things would have been even better on results day. I'm hoping that I can redeem myself during sixth form and end my procrastination or reduce it drastically.

For A levels I'll be doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics. I'm most excited for Economics whilst simultaneously being the most worried about it for the exact same reason: I haven't done it at GCSE. I was in this event thing where there was a kinda lecture on economics and I really liked the stuff we were shown and I also attended a few taster lessons at various sixth forms and I really enjoyed it. It will also be a change from the mathsy nature of my other subjects if I do end up getting a bit bored doing just maths.

My GCSEs were:

Spoiler

So in this GYG I'll be documenting(that sounds weird) my whole sixth form journey with all the stress, joy and everything else it entails. I'm a bit random, childish and weird at times so I apologise in advance if I say something stupid or whatever. I'll try and update this as often as I can.

So yeah please tag along for the ride.
Gd luck !! If you have any questions about A-levels you can ask me :smile:. Check out my GYG if u want as well
Everyone, I say you watch this thread and pay attention closely :biggrin: This guy got 8s and 9s whilst revising the morning of the exam (1 AM), I was with him and he bodied nearly the entire school by cramming. This guy's also got an insane work ethic and is always optimistic. I say tag along for the ride and you'll see some mad progress from this don :tongue:
Reply 3
OMG I EAT AND SLEEP TOO!! WE'VE GOTSOMUCH IN COMMON

l
And I didn’t put nearly as much effort in my GYG.... lol

Can’t wait to see this bro
what a mood - i see we're both in the high achieving procrastinator cram squad lmao
good luck with sixth form and your gyg!
(check mine out if u want as we're kind of in the same boat??? kind of?)
also if you're doing tags for ur posts tag me i want to keep up w ur gyg lol
Reply 6
Original post by Rolls_Reus_0wner
Gd luck !! If you have any questions about A-levels you can ask me :smile:. Check out my GYG if u want as well

Thanks so much, good luck to you too. I'll be sure to check yours out.

Original post by thekidwhogames
Everyone, I say you watch this thread and pay attention closely :biggrin: This guy got 8s and 9s whilst revising the morning of the exam (1 AM), I was with him and he bodied nearly the entire school by cramming. This guy's also got an insane work ethic and is always optimistic. I say tag along for the ride and you'll see some mad progress from this don :tongue:

Safee bro

Original post by Your Local Cat
OMG I EAT AND SLEEP TOO!! WE'VE GOTSOMUCH IN COMMON

l
gang ganggggg😎

Original post by HisMajesty_Kwabz
And I didn’t put nearly as much effort in my GYG.... lol

Can’t wait to see this bro

I was about to not do it lol but then I was thinking go hard or go home

Original post by katebethanevans
what a mood - i see we're both in the high achieving procrastinator cram squad lmao
good luck with sixth form and your gyg!
(check mine out if u want as we're kind of in the same boat??? kind of?)
also if you're doing tags for ur posts tag me i want to keep up w ur gyg lol

I will miss the cram squad so much lol. Yeah I'll definitely check your GYG out.
I'll tag you and please tag me in yours too
Reply 7
Day 1 - 4th of September

It was the first day of school today so I woke up today and left my house at 10:45 to get to school(we started at 12 today). Was slightly annoyed that the train was taking like ages. I had to wait like 15-20 minutes and I was worried that I was gonna be late. I saw quite a few people who were getting on the train and I had this strange feeling that they were also going to the same school as me and turns out I was right. Luckily the train didn't make me late and I got there a few minutes earlier and met up with friends. We all had to go inside and find out our forms and then go to the right room. We collected our lanyard, id card, timetable and a student survival guide. So then they just went through some important stuff and all the logistics and we did like this activity to get to know each other better. It was those things were you had a box of all sorts of things and see if you could find a person who could fit into them. I don't think anyone could find a vegetarian. Over the course of the very short day, we did 4 workshops with our forms and I think it's safe to say the people in my form are very nice people. The workshops were useful I guess. The first one was on essay writing and it was the first time I had written so much in ages(a whole paragraph wow) and I holy crap it felt weird to write again. The next one was on organisation and luckily there wasn't a lot of writing involved. The one after was on 'academic promiscuity' sounds so weird to say lol but yeah it wasn't that bad. We had to look at places nearby that we would wanna visit and we had to try and find ones we would be interested in and stuff we wouldn't do that often. Last one was on referencing and I would have seriously found that workshop boring if it wasn't for that teacher. The teacher was genuinely a very nice, funny and interesting guy. Hopefully my other teachers are like him, lessons would definitely be more enjoyable.

I would say that the school was genuinely a good choice to come to. It was leagues better than my old school and I think had I stayed I would've regretted it so much. Only bad things were the stairs(I'm a lazy guy) and the prices of stuff nearby but they aren't really dealbreakers or anything. I'm excited and nervous for tomorrow, it being the first day with actual lessons and all.

I guess this is it for today. Need to sleep soon smh gonna have to wake up at 6. Imma update this GYG tomorrow when I get back from school.

Quick Reply

Latest