The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by matty5690
I'm sorry but you're all making out as if he would've killed someone from driving under the influence of cannabis. I'm pretty sure anyone driving stoned would drive 5-10 mph UNDER the speed limit lol

There's been research carried out that indicates a person driving under the influence of cannabis is twice as likely to cause an accident.

Reaction times are crucial whilst driving. If you fail to comprehend why driving high has the ability to kill, I shudder to think what else your mind puts together..
Original post by IWMTom
There's been research carried out that indicates a person driving under the influence of cannabis is twice as likely to cause an accident.

And there's been research carried out that indicates drivers who tested positive for cannabis were no more likely to cause an accident.
Reply 22
I'm sorry but you're all making out as if he would've killed someone from driving under the influence of cannabis. I'm pretty sure anyone driving stoned would drive 5-10 mph UNDER the speed limit lol

You say that as though driving 5-10 mph slower than the other vehicles around you (more when you consider that people tend to speed somewhat) isn't also dangerous.
Original post by the beer
And there's been research carried out that indicates drivers who tested positive for cannabis were no more likely to cause an accident.

Hey, do you have a link to this research? I'd be interested to read it from a scientific perspective. Thanks! :smile:
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Hey, do you have a link to this research? I'd be interested to read it from a scientific perspective. Thanks! :smile:

https://one.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/nti/impaired_driving/pdf/812355_DrugAlcoholCrashRisk.pdf
Reply 25

This Forbes article seems to cast doubt on the way the NHTSA conducted the study; they provided a possibility for why the difference in results between studies was so large:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jacobsullum/2016/03/17/new-study-suggests-marijuanas-impact-on-crash-risk-has-been-greatly-exaggerated/
Reply 26
If he's driving while under the influence, he'll be banned, and rightly so.
Original post by IWMTom
This Forbes article seems to cast doubt on the way the NHTSA conducted the study; they provided a possibility for why the difference in results between studies was so large:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jacobsullum/2016/03/17/new-study-suggests-marijuanas-impact-on-crash-risk-has-been-greatly-exaggerated/

cannabis consumers, unlike drinkers, tend to be aware of their impairment

deciding to drive while intoxicated is a decision correlated with traits that predict higher crash risk independently of cannabis use

the NHTSA analysis included any drivers who tested positive for active THC, whether or not they were still feeling the effects

Interesting, so it's probably not 0 and its probably not 2x and the government maximum limits are nonsense.
Reply 28
cannabis consumers, unlike drinkers, tend to be aware of their impairment

deciding to drive while intoxicated is a decision correlated with traits that predict higher crash risk independently of cannabis use

the NHTSA analysis included any drivers who tested positive for active THC, whether or not they were still feeling the effects

Interesting, so it's probably not 0 and its probably not 2x and the government maximum limits are nonsense.

There's a middle ground somewhere, but who knows what it truly is 🤷
Original post by Beth_H
You say that as though driving 5-10 mph slower than the other vehicles around you (more when you consider that people tend to speed somewhat) isn't also dangerous.

That's why I said speed limit not other vehicles, if you read it properly.
Reply 30
That's why I said speed limit not other vehicles, if you read it properly.

Unless the road remains completely empty for the entire journey or every other driver is also driving 5-10mph below the limit, one is very much the same as the other.
Original post by Beth_H
Unless the road remains completely empty for the entire journey or every other driver is also driving 5-10mph below the limit, one is very much the same as the other.

Would you ban bicycles, farm traffic, horses and pensioners from the road?
Reply 32
Would you ban bicycles, farm traffic, horses and pensioners from the road?

The first three are a false equivalence, since they are prevented from travelling at the same speed as other traffic and are therefore required to take specific precautions to compensate. It's not a controversial statement that driving significantly slower than you would reasonably be expected to has the potential to cause an accident, pensioners included.
Original post by Beth_H
take specific precautions to compensate.

Such as? Maybe we can allow pensioners and stoners to take specific precautions to compensate?
fortunately this young gentleman has been caught in time to prevent a tragic road traffic incident. his insurance in the future will be significantly higher... not cool :redface:
Just a quick update, his results came back and he actually was told that he was under the legal limit and no further action was taken. As for insurance and other things, have no idea but I'm over the moon that I no longer have to stress about it. He hasn't done it since, I genuinely think this has opened his eyes and Im so glad for that. Thank you to anyone that had the best intentions to help me and put my mind at ease!
Just a quick question regarding it all. Firstly how much had he smoked prior to being stopped by police? You mentioned hes a heavy user, So does this mean he smokes one every couple of hours? Or just afew joints a day, or an evening smoker?What time did he get pulled roughly and what time where the bloods taken?Genuinely interested as not proud of it but im in the same situation as he is i got pulled over whilst smoking a joint (not proud of it)... and currently awaiting results of blood test. Id smoked a joint earlier in the day at around roughly 12-1pm ish containing probably no more that 0.25g of cannibis mixed with tabacco.And id just only lit up this joint and had around 5 puffs of it maximum before getting pulled at 7.30pm and got my bloods taken at 9.37pm.Any info be greatly appreciated.
Sorry for bringing up and old thread but its such a horrible wait.

Also my lisence is my job.

I know ive been daft ect for doing it so please save me all the moaning comments im after genuine information as im sort of in the same boat as your boyfriend.
he's a dumbass but there's no legal limmit for canabis if its his first time caught he'll have a few points on his licence and a warning maybe a small fine too
but i wouldn't worry too much
Ive currently been driving 12 years. Clean lisence and no previous criminal or driving conviction history.

Latest

Trending

Trending