Spoiler

:hugs:

Spoiler

Original post by Michiyo
Keep me on the tag list, please! :puppyeyes:

Will do :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14

Awesome, will do :smile: Erm...don't listen to the people who say it's easy...it's not :tongue: Essentially same as maths, just keep plugging away at the practise questions and you'll get there eventually :smile:

Thank you! Yeah, it's strange that some people take it alongside AS Maths, and so far I'm finding way more difficult than the A level!
Original post by DeepInTheMeadow
Thank you! Yeah, it's strange that some people take it alongside AS Maths, and so far I'm finding way more difficult than the A level!

I think (in my limited experience) that generally maths looks more familiar, the concepts themselves are simpler but the questions are more likely to just be weird. Whereas further maths the concepts are (obviously) harder but the questions are likely to be more straightforward (although you're probably less likely to work out what on earth it's going on about or maybe that's just me)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lancaster Open Day Review
First update :gah: Although this won't be quite like a normal update since it's an open day review instead of my usual ramblings about random stuff :laugh:
This was my first campus uni I've looked at so some of the stuff is probably obvious to anyone who's seen a couple but I'll get there :smile:
So... What I learnt...
... about the uni
(okay this is basically about accommodation so skip this if you don't care)

The colleges are basically choose your accommodation type (and location on campus I suppose) and not much more

There's loooaads of stuff on campus from food places (no surprise there) to banks to Blackwell's (:love:)

Accommodation is not guaranteed for insurance applicants but they usually get it (this is important as Lancaster would likely to be my insurance if I placed it)

About 2/3 of the 6700 people living on campus are 1st years so there are limited opportunities to stay on campus after first year but not much

All the accommodation has access to kitchens, most has to be self catered but some can be catered.

The library is 24/7 in term time (and is pretty cool inside :gah:)

... about the course

In year 1 you take mathematical methods, mathematical concepts and a minor subject (which can be literally anything from a language to geography to accounting and finance)

In year 1 there's end of module tests and worksheets which count for 50% but after first year there's no end of module tests and the worksheets count for much less

In year 2 there's 8 core modules and after that you start to have options.

You only do a dissertation if you take a 4th year :yep:

The course is very largely pure and stats based (which means I would escape all the fluid dynamics and similar which sounds complicated)

The offer structure is complicated but I'll just say if I got an offer it would be at least AAB and pending my TMUA score ABB :smile:

... about anything else

There's loads of buses going all over Lancaster (and even to Preston and iirc Blackpool) from campus so it's easy to get out :wink:

They gave so many freebies :lol:

Summary
Overall I really liked Lancaster :woo: It had a kind of homely feel and I could imagine it being lovely with everyone there all living together. The course was what originally attracted me to Lancaster and it still sounds good even after I've heard it spoken about which is great as well (although I have no clue what I'd pick as my minor :redface:)
So yeah, Lancaster is definitely still on the list :smile:
Apologies for the probably rather boring first update, hopefully non open day updates will be more interesting :yep:
Super Supporters :love:

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14
First update :gah: Although this won't be quite like a normal update since it's an open day review instead of my usual ramblings about random stuff :laugh:
This was my first campus uni I've looked at so some of the stuff is probably obvious to anyone who's seen a couple but I'll get there :smile:
So... What I learnt...
... about the uni (okay this is basically about accommodation so skip this if you don't care)

The colleges are basically choose your accommodation type (and location on campus I suppose) and not much more

There's loooaads of stuff on campus from food places (no surprise there) to banks to Blackwell's (:love:)

Accommodation is not guaranteed for insurance applicants but they usually get it (this is important as Lancaster would likely to be my insurance if I placed it)

About 2/3 of the 6700 people living on campus are 1st years so there are limited opportunities to stay on campus after first year but not much

All the accommodation has access to kitchens, most has to be self catered but some can be catered.

... about the course

In year 1 you take mathematical methods, mathematical concepts and a minor subject (which can be literally anything from a language to geography to accounting and finance)

In year 1 there's end of module tests and worksheets which count for 50% but after first year there's no end of module tests and the worksheets count for much less

The course is very largely pure and stats based (which means I would escape all the fluid dynamics and similar which sounds complicated)

The offer structure is complicated but I'll just say if I got an offer it would be at least AAB and pending my TMUA score ABB :smile:

... about anything else

There's loads of buses going all over Lancaster (and even to Preston and iirc Blackpool) from campus so it's easy to get out :wink:

Summary
Overall I really liked Lancaster :woo: It had a kind of homely feel and I could imagine it being lovely with everyone there all living together. The course was what originally attracted me to Lancaster and it still sounds good even after I've heard it spoken about which is great as well (although I have no clue what I'd pick as my minor :redface:)
Apologies for the probably rather boring first update, hopefully non open day updates will be more interesting :yep:

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds like a very positive open day! :smile:
Original post by Labrador99
Sounds like a very positive open day! :smile:

It was thank you :hugs:
Was on a train going to Glasgow to get there :ninja:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Please add meeeee.
I'm glad that you enjoyed Lancaster's open day. Would you ever firm it?
Glad you enjoyed it! I absolutely loved the uni but the course let it down for me :frown: however I knew it’d be more your thing!

If it means anything, all Clearing students are guaranteed accommodation so I’d be highly surprised if you didn’t manage to get anywhere as an insurance offer holder :tongue:
Glad you like it. I've only heard good things about Lancaster to be honest. :smile:
Original post by YouOnlyLive...
Please add meeeee.

Will do :smile:
Original post by OrangeArcher
I'm glad that you enjoyed Lancaster's open day. Would you ever firm it?

I think if I didn't get an offer from Oxford or Durham it would be up there in the consideration for firm but if I get an offer from either of those they're always gonna be ahead for me.
Original post by Protostar
Glad you enjoyed it! I absolutely loved the uni but the course let it down for me :frown: however I knew it’d be more your thing!

If it means anything, all Clearing students are guaranteed accommodation so I’d be highly surprised if you didn’t manage to get anywhere as an insurance offer holder :tongue:

Yke:h definitely more my thing with all the stats :giggle:
Ooh that's good to hear, not what they were saying on Saturday :laugh: Perhaps they can't guarantee it every year but even so that's useful info, thank you :hugs:
Original post by 04MR17
Glad you like it. I've only heard good things about Lancaster to be honest. :smile:

I'll correct that for you :wink: It's in the north and is therefore cold :tongue:
prsom :smile:

i love your uni reviews!
Original post by clouddbubbles
prsom :smile:

i love your uni reviews!

Aww thank you :jumphug:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
Original post by Lemur14
So... What I learnt...
... about the uni (okay this is basically about accommodation so skip this if you don't care)

... about the course

... about anything else

Summary

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

Glad to hear you liked Lancaster. I'm probably going to make it my insurance as well depending on the circumstances. :smile: Could you add me to the Super Supporters list?
Original post by Lemur14
I'll correct that for you :wink: It's in the north and is therefore cold :tongue:
Mate. I'm roasting down here. :colonhash:

Spoiler

Food, Blackwell's and freebies - literally all you need to be honest :lol:

Glad to hear you enjoyed Lancaster! It's such a brilliant university and it's up north (come to the dark side ) - I'm always so surprised when I see the grade requirements, they're so much lower than you'd expect for a university with such great reputation! If it weren't for the heavy stats I would have definitely applied because close to no mechanics - yes please!! :lol:
Original post by Lemur14

Lemur's Leap for University

[scroll] :wavey: Welcome to my year 13 GYG :woo:[/scroll]
An introduction to me:

Click here

Academic History

Click here

University plans:

Click here

Key dates:

Click here

Same as last year, I'm gonna tag a load of people now (including everyone from my last GYG :love:), but you'll only be tagged again if you ask to be :yep: I've no clue how often updates will end up happening as I haven't got my timetable yet, but it should be at least weekly :smile: Apologies to anyone who gets a few notifications from this as I move it etc. :colondollar:

Tags

Can you tag me too? :biggrin:
Original post by Lemur14
So... What I learnt...
... about the uni
(okay this is basically about accommodation so skip this if you don't care)

... about the course

... about anything else

Summary

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven’t really considered Lancaster as it’s not a Russell Group uni (the title is kind of important for scientific research) and I have a uni with similar entry requirements already (Southampton) but it seems really nice (especially the accommodation)

Also, please add me to the tag list :smile:
Original post by Lemur14
It was thank you :hugs:
Was on a train going to Glasgow to get there :ninja:
Posted from TSR Mobile

:giggle:

Virgin pendolino on the west coast mainline?
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Glad to hear you liked Lancaster. I'm probably going to make it my insurance as well depending on the circumstances. :smile: Could you add me to the Super Supporters list?

I'm not sure if it will be my insurance or not but it's definitely in consideration :smile:
Original post by 04MR17
Mate. I'm roasting down here. :colonhash:

Give me your heat... I'm cold in 2 jumpers this morning :colondollar:
Original post by gcsemusicsucks

Spoiler

Food, Blackwell's and freebies - literally all you need to be honest :lol:

Glad to hear you enjoyed Lancaster! It's such a brilliant university and it's up north (come to the dark side ) - I'm always so surprised when I see the grade requirements, they're so much lower than you'd expect for a university with such great reputation! If it weren't for the heavy stats I would have definitely applied because close to no mechanics - yes please!! :lol:

Spoiler

Basically yeah :lol:
Yeah the entrance requirements are really surprising for such a good uni :eek: Heavy stats is good for me so :woo:
Original post by DrawTheLine
Can you tag me too? :biggrin:

Will do :awesome:
Original post by bookloverlolly
I haven’t really considered Lancaster as it’s not a Russell Group uni (the title is kind of important for scientific research) and I have a uni with similar entry requirements already (Southampton) but it seems really nice (especially the accommodation)

Also, please add me to the tag list :smile:

Ahh, right. I'm not so bothered by RG as I don't want to go into research so I can ignore it given it's ranking. Southampton has similar entrance requirements for me too (I think 1 grade higher?) but it's obviously the opposite side of the country so a bit of a difference :lol:
Original post by Labrador99
:giggle:

Virgin pendolino on the west coast mainline?

:yep: And 2 hours back to Euston as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending