The Student Room Group

Discuss: To what extent is depression caused by a chemical imbalance?

You can give your opinion and or back your reasoning up with evidence.
Original post by A Sick Dream

I believe depression is loosely caused my chemical imbalances because things sucha s low serotonin or dopamine levels are often more of a symptom of depression not a cause , however there are some studies showing how imbalances from stress can cause depression. The thing is there will be some chemical cause behind it that like kindling for a fire might start it off but its the situation you are in the way you think anout this that causes chemical imbalance as a reaction to your stresses and also amplify the effect of your depression
Original post by PureMadness
I believe depression is loosely caused my chemical imbalances because things sucha s low serotonin or dopamine levels are often more of a symptom of depression not a cause , however there are some studies showing how imbalances from stress can cause depression. The thing is there will be some chemical cause behind it that like kindling for a fire might start it off but its the situation you are in the way you think anout this that causes chemical imbalance as a reaction to your stresses and also amplify the effect of your depression

Interesting.

What if you increase your serotonin levels by exercising and thinking positively but you are still depressed? what then?
True depression is absolutely caused by chemical imbalances, all clinical research will back this up.

Depression can be confused with having a **** life. If you have no friends, no hobbies, no ambitions, no job, you'll probably feel depressed, but you can cure it by improving your life. True depression is feeling it even when you should be feeling pretty fine.
Interesting.

What if you increase your serotonin levels by exercising and thinking positively but you are still depressed? what then?

In that case, I think there's a deeper issue because that would suggest the depression isn't fixed easily by a rebalance of hormones and the specific depression you are experiencing is due to your circumstances and general dissatisfaction with your life. In this case, it's more about making a big change in your life. Making a routine where you regularly exercise, eat well, get sleep and spend time with friends/family will definitely help long-term. if it's still there then professional help or talking to friends or even trying to be content with what you have got in your life is your best bet. You would need to find something like a motivator like if you hit rock-bottom, the realisation that it can't get any worse and there is some peace you will find eventually in your life which you can work towards e.g. find a passion/hobby that helps you cope. In summary, you would need something that can make you change your circumstances that are causing the depression in the first place.
Reply 5

Hi. I've moved this to the debate section because although it is about a health topic the main goal is to have a discussion/ debate. :smile:

From what I know chemicals in the brain have been found to link with depression, but I am not sure if that has yet been found to be a cause or effect so this could be an interesting topic to discuss. Enjoy.
Reply 6
i don't know, according to Beyond Blue depression is not simply the result of a chemical imbalance, which makes sense to me as lots of people become depressed from traumatic events, abusive relationships, loneliness, medical illness, i could go on. i know me personally, i became depressed from a traumatic event that literally changed my life, so i know indeed it can happen. but i think depression itself changes your brain chemistry because you don't reason things out the way a non-depressed person would.
Reply 7
Low serotonin can cause depression which can cause low serotonin and so on...
Depression can cause low serotonin which can cause depression and so on...

Reasons for depression occurring can be:

Traumatic events, whether to you or to someone who you closely love
Feeling of hopelessness e.g. caused by lack of job opportunities / lack of supportive people around you / lack of necessary qualifications to achieve something you want
Shortage of identifiable role models
Superiority / inferiority complex

and so on.

Some scientists say that low serotonin as a cause of depression hasn't been proven. Giving serotonin tablets can tend to relax people who have depression but so, far more, can a good holiday, a good family outing, being given a big present etc.

Despite the glamourous(ish) image of the romantic genius being depressed in their beautiful townhouse / castle, most people with serious depression are likely to be relatively lowly paid, relatively socially disrespected- despite or because of whatever intellectual and emotional gifts they might have themselves. The worst place for such people is somewhere where other people (often lower middle class) themselves have enough ego to look down on others without enough talent or kindness to try to alleviate how their depressed neighbours feel.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by DarthRoar
True depression is absolutely caused by chemical imbalances, all clinical research will back this up.

Depression can be confused with having a **** life. If you have no friends, no hobbies, no ambitions, no job, you'll probably feel depressed, but you can cure it by improving your life. True depression is feeling it even when you should be feeling pretty fine.

Just because someone could potentially escape their depression, that doesn't mean it's not "true depression" (whatever the **** that is).

That's like saying someone who had cancer but had it cured didn't have true cancer...
Original post by Dheorl
Just because someone could potentially escape their depression, that doesn't mean it's not "true depression" (whatever the **** that is).

That's like saying someone who had cancer but had it cured didn't have true cancer...

No, the actual illness of clinical depression is what I called 'true' depression. A better term would have been clinical depression. It's different from just feeling depressed at a certain point in time.
Reply 10
As I understand is, depression is caused by chemical imbalances in the brain, but can be triggered by external factors, e.g. major life events (divorce, bereavement, etc.), career problems, family issues and so on, hence antidepressants can only do so much to treat it if the underlying triggers aren't addressed.

I agree with this. I always hear people saying "oh I'm SO depressed" when they've got a bad grade or something. I always got top grades (well, top-ish haha) had everything I wanted, a loving family, lots of friends, a promising future.. and I still cried myself to sleep every night. That's depression.
Reply 12
No, the actual illness of clinical depression is what I called 'true' depression. A better term would have been clinical depression. It's different from just feeling depressed at a certain point in time.

Clinical depression can very much be caused by someones life being **** as you so eloquently put it.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I agree with this. I always hear people saying "oh I'm SO depressed" when they've got a bad grade or something. I always got top grades (well, top-ish haha) had everything I wanted, a loving family, lots of friends, a promising future.. and I still cried myself to sleep every night. That's depression.

I certainly agree.
Reply 14

I have tried working, exercising, i eat healthy and take vitiams i did everything u listed a d i still feel depressed and worse everyday that goes by. I dont know why anymore. I feel like i dont have a reason to get up besides to take a bath and clean my apartment. Im losing complete intersest in everything and lost hope. What else can help?
Original post by Kilmer
I have tried working, exercising, i eat healthy and take vitiams i did everything u listed a d i still feel depressed and worse everyday that goes by. I dont know why anymore. I feel like i dont have a reason to get up besides to take a bath and clean my apartment. Im losing complete intersest in everything and lost hope. What else can help?

Visit your GP.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending