The Student Room Group

Should i get a second job?

Im wondering if i should apply for a second job or not, just like a sunday job or something.
Basically i work full time monday-friday (2-10). Im saving up for a house etc (ive got quite a bit saved up but could do with a bit more). Id love to do overtime at my full time job, but because my job is in the despatch office dealing with the drivers at the window, there isnt much scope for overtime on my job (only if the woman on mornings was off and there was no one to cover or the rare occasion they needed someone on a saturday or sunday.
I want to get trained up on a forklift truck, like most others in the warehouse, so that i can do overtime. If i got trained up i could come in extra at weekends or whenever. Tere would be plenty of overtime. The warehouse manager has been promising me for 12 months now that he is going to get me trained up on a truck, but still hasnt. He was the one who suggested it in the first place actually. He has got various others trained up on stuff, but not me. I may be wrong and he may surprise me, but i doubt it will happen this side of christmas, as we will be starting to get busier now up until christmas. They like to go on a training spree january when its quieter.
I was thinking of getting a little job on the side, like a sunday job or something. Maybe a christmas temp job or something. But im worried that it will clash with my current job or that the warehouse manager will get a bag on for me getting a second job or something (even though he has been promising me the training for 12 months and its getting to the point where i will believe it when i see it). Or will it have the opposite effect and push him to get me trained sooner knowing that im going elsewhere for the extra hours (i do seem to get on with him).
What should i do?

Scroll to see replies

Anyone?
Check your contract and see what it says about employees having another job, some companies are fine with it but others can get a bit funny. As long as the hours don't clash I don't see why they'd be a problem, maybe if you tell the manager you're thinking of getting another job he might suddenly realise you're serous about wanting extra hours and will get you trained up quicker. I'm not sure about Christmas temp jobs, from my experience they mainly want people who can be very flexible and can come in at short notice rather than those who can only work one day a week.
Original post by bones-mccoy
Check your contract and see what it says about employees having another job, some companies are fine with it but others can get a bit funny. As long as the hours don't clash I don't see why they'd be a problem, maybe if you tell the manager you're thinking of getting another job he might suddenly realise you're serous about wanting extra hours and will get you trained up quicker. I'm not sure about Christmas temp jobs, from my experience they mainly want people who can be very flexible and can come in at short notice rather than those who can only work one day a week.

Thanks.
Ill check my contract, just to make sure.
With it being a saturday or a sunday job, it shouldnt clash, so like you say, it should be fine. And yeah, it may push him to get me trained up sooner.
The reason why i was thinking christmas temp jobs was because at least the job would only be up until christmas, so if he did get me trained up at some point (e.g. january when its quieter) meaning i could do overtime at my main job, then i wouldnt be tied up with the extra job.
Original post by Emma:-)
Thanks.
Ill check my contract, just to make sure.
With it being a saturday or a sunday job, it shouldnt clash, so like you say, it should be fine. And yeah, it may push him to get me trained up sooner.
The reason why i was thinking christmas temp jobs was because at least the job would only be up until christmas, so if he did get me trained up at some point (e.g. january when its quieter) meaning i could do overtime at my main job, then i wouldnt be tied up with the extra job.

Most Christmas temp job don't finish until early January so just be aware of that. Good luck with finding something, there are loads of places asking for temp staff usually so I'm sure you'll be okay :smile:
Reply 5
Well I think you'd be better off spending a few hours a week working on budgeting than an actual second job but it really depends on how well you currently budget and how much you can improve upon it

at the very least if you are going to get a second job - please try to find something you really enjoy doing for that job
Original post by TOP_20
Well I think you'd be better off spending a few hours a week working on budgeting than an actual second job but it really depends on how well you currently budget and how much you can improve upon it

at the very least if you are going to get a second job - please try to find something you really enjoy doing for that job

I don't have a problem with budgeting. I save around 65% ish of my wages each month. Im what you would call a tight wad. I just want to save a bit extra for things like a house etc. Surely a few extra hours and a bit extra money on the side is not too much to ask.
With regards to second jobs, of course of do my research and wouldn't just go for anything or something id hate.
Reply 7
I save around 65% ish of my wages each month..

Wow not many can say that!!! If that's the case than you might consider time is more valuable than a bit of extra money each month...unless what you are doing in that job is something you'd want to do for free anyhow (that was the case for me... I'd have payed THEM lol)
Original post by TOP_20
Wow not many can say that!!! If that's the case than you might consider time is more valuable than a bit of extra money each month...unless what you are doing in that job is something you'd want to do for free anyhow (that was the case for me... I'd have payed THEM lol)

TBF ive got a lot that im saving up for (house, classic mini etc etc), which is why id like the extra money really.
Original post by bones-mccoy

Good news, i finally got trained up on a truck a couple of weeks ago.
I even did my first overtime shift on saturday.
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Is this your life ambition --- to be in a despatch office and become a fork lift truck drive...

What has it got to do with you what my ambitions may or may not be.
What has it got to do with you what my ambitions may or may not be.

I am asking if you seriously want to just be a despatch officer or just a fork lift truck driver. For heavens sake you are young - the world awaits. DO you seriously want to be earning ....guessing £19000 per year
I am asking if you seriously want to just be a despatch officer or just a fork lift truck driver. For heavens sake you are young - the world awaits. DO you seriously want to be earning ....guessing £19000 per year

I earn more than that, thanks.
Im happy in this job for the time being.
I earn more than that, thanks.
Im happy in this job for the time being.

Hmm defensive - how much more - my son earns 25k, my second son earns 40k, my daughter in law earns 45k. I earn 80k
Hmm defensive - how much more - my son earns 25k, my second son earns 40k, my daughter in law earns 45k. I earn 80k

good for you
good for you

Your sarcasm does you no favours - what do you want from life - do you seriously want mediocraty ... 22000 - let me guess...you are young - grab life by the *******s and run
Your sarcasm does you no favours - what do you want from life - do you seriously want mediocraty ... 22000 - let me guess...you are young - grab life by the *******s and run

What's it you how much one person earn. life isn't all about money. If OP is happy where they're at, then so be it. No-one cares how much you, or your son, or daughter etc earns. Besides, those figures are hardly impressive - pretty much standard.
Original post by dannitt69
What's it you how much one person earn. life isn't all about money. If OP is happy where they're at, then so be it. No-one cares how much you, or your son, or daughter etc earns. Besides, those figures are hardly impressive - pretty much standard.

At the end of the day - people have to have ambition. If you are happy with a week in marbella and shopping in asda fine.
At the end of the day - people have to have ambition. If you are happy with a week in marbella and shopping in asda fine.

Of course. But as I said, not everyone is money driven. more to life than money, if money is your main ambition fair enough. Doesn't mean you should judge others who have different sources of happiness in life. :smile:
Original post by dannitt69
Of course. But as I said, not everyone is money driven. more to life than money, if money is your main ambition fair enough. Doesn't mean you should judge others who have different sources of happiness in life. :smile:

Really - would you be happy being a fork lift truck driver. When I was 18 I spent a year working in the cash office in Asda Rochdale. It was one of the most soul destroying jobs ever - not because it was a bad job - no - it paid well. But I looked 20 years down the line - did I still want to be doing that job at 38. Hell no. People need to have ambition. Money is definitely not my main ambition - I have been so poor - at one point I couldnt even get out of bed becuase I had no money for the electricity meter. My shoes were second hand and baked beans were the staple diet. I know what it is to be poor

Quick Reply

Latest