The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Definitely not too old! You will probably appreciate what you are learning a bit more being a few years older! That's a good thing! There were 'mature' students in my commerce course who were around 25-30 and made lots of friends out of the course like everyone else!

I have also just interviewed 100 graduates 10 years out of university for a book I've just written, and quite a few of them went back to uni after a few years working in their mid 20's and really enjoyed uni. None of them felt they were too old or couldn't have a good time. If anything they were able to have a good time and get the most out of the course as they were that bit older. Also, when it came to looking for jobs, they had a bit of an advantage over their peers as they came across that bit more sure of themselves in interviews / applying for jobs.

Some of the interviewees even went back to do a postgrad in their 30's to change their career paths. This is something they all advise is really easy to do if you don't like the career you have chosen - they didn't feel too old either!!!

So, def go to Uni, you are never too old to do anything!!!! Hope it helps! Good Luck!
Considering there are 100+ year olds gaining bachelors degrees, I’d say it’s only too late when you are dead
Well done you, it is the best thing I ever did, I was a mere youngster of 53! Congratulations!
I completed my bachelors degree in 1969, when i was 27 [after flunking out of a couple of schools]. After working for a few years, i came to the conclusion that i needed a Master's degree [in electrical engineering], in order to maintain my employability. I started graduate school when i was 38 [in 1980], and finished my MSEE in 1987, when i was 45. I found that deciding to go back to school was a sound decision, and benefited me professionally. Best of luck to all who decide to do it!! Unlike undergrad school, i found that grad school was peopled with more serious students, who had a better idea of what they wanted, and how to go about getting it. Cheers.
I did my degree when I was 42. I am now doing my Masters at 52. It’s never late to learn..
Graduating on Friday at 70.
Reply 86
Original post by Seamus123

Bring the champagne!! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm 44, I never did A levels and only did 2 GCSEs and that was this year. I've never been more giddy and excited to do anything in my life. Have 10 times the enthusiasm of any 18/19 year old. I'm starting in Sept for a Natural Sciences degree with chemistry and physics.

You have no idea what life is like after 35.
Original post by Aph
I think once you get to 50/60 you will get weird looks and that might be too old. But in general never!!!

By the time you get to 50/60 (I'm 54), I find it is pretty easy to cope with getting a 'weird look' or two, LOL!
Original post by PJNolen
I'm 44, I never did A levels and only did 2 GCSEs and that was this year. I've never been more giddy and excited to do anything in my life. Have 10 times the enthusiasm of any 18/19 year old. I'm starting in Sept for a Natural Sciences degree with chemistry and physics.

You have no idea what life is like after 35.

That's awesome, massive 'good on ya!'

Excellent! Good on ya!
Original post by Doreen123456
I did my degree when I was 42. I am now doing my Masters at 52. It’s never late to learn..

Just got my master's in education aged 53. Good on ya! "Keep going!"
When people mistake you for the old gardener... like Boothby in Star Trek.
Original post by Vinny C
When people mistake you for the old gardener... like Boothby in Star Trek.

I went to the loo in the lecture break and I was asked was I the cleaner and told to get some loo roll as it had run out. My response isn’t printable.
I went to the loo in the lecture break and I was asked was I the cleaner and told to get some loo roll as it had run out. My response isn’t printable.

I was watching some major road works in a high vis jacket and 'cause I was just standing around, passers by and motorists assumed I was in charge and kept asking me stuff. Can I drive down here? How long is this going to take? I could have told them any old rubbish, lol. You should have come back with an old test paper and said this is all I can find, cutbacks!
(edited 5 years ago)
I’m 46, just completed my HNC Social Science and am starting Scottish History/Politics degree this year. Why? Because my youngest child started secondary school and I was finally able to focus on me a bit more. 35 cut off made me laugh, when I finish my degree I will still have to work 17 years before I can retire, and only then if the government don’t move the pension age again
When you're dead. My cousin was accepted into graduate school [at a major US uni which i will not name]. He showed up on campus a few days early, and wandered over to the engineering part of campus. There wasn't any activity, save for the basement of one building, in which an older white haired fellow was working on a lathe. My cousin walked in, and over to the lathe. He waited until the gentleman on the lathe finished a 'pass' and looked up. The machinist switched off the lathe, and asked if he could help my cousin. My cousin explained that he was a new grad student, and had showed up a few days early. The machinist said, oh, you must be Mr. CXDXKKKD [coming up with my cousin's name immediately. It turned out that the machinist was the department head in my cousin's specialty, and was making parts for his sports car in his spare time.

Be nice to the apparent working staff - you never know who they might turn out to be!! Cheers.
I think that your closed minded and need to realize that having an older person with real life experience in any class to give students the real skinny on what’s waiting for them once they graduate would be priceless. You need to get the notion that universities are just for kids out of your mind because it’s never to late to learn.
(edited 3 years ago)
I know people who are in their 40s and they might as well be in their 20s, because there are actually people in their 20s that look much older, believe it or not it’s true. They are in their 40s and they don’t look any older than 25. They say it’s never too late to go to uni, but I see what you mean when it might look a bit strange when they are studying at a ripe old age, but it really does depend on the individual, not everyone looks their age these days and some young people actually do look like they’re approaching 40
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi I’m 75 and would love to try to get a degree but am I too old and where do start?

Latest

Trending

Trending