The Student Room Group

Year 11 - The Winding Road of GCSE's (Jemima's path to sweet success)

Attachment not found

Thought i'd start my first ever GYG blog and see how it went. My name's Jemima and I'm 15 and will be going into year 11 this year

The subjects i'm studying are
English Lit AQA
English Lang AQA
Mathematics Edexcel
Combined Science Edexcel
French AQA
Art AQA
Geography OCR
History Edexcel

My school doesn't really do predicted grades and instead has minimum expected grades and aspirational target grades instead.

In my end of year mocks, I managed to pass everything except science, however, this is partly due to the fact that we have a termly rotation of Biology and chemistry, and we are taught physics all year round. This meant that we hadn't been taught all we needed for Biology so this will be quite a big focus for me.

Another focus point will be geography, because i only just passed that, so I've been spending a lot of time on that this summer.

I hope to achieve at least all 6s in my exams because i hate to aim for really high grades because i don't think i'll ever achieve them, however it would be good to get an 8 in History and Maths because they're my two best subjects and i put in a lot of effort on those two subjects.

After GCSE's, I hope to study A levels, though i'm not quite sure which ones yet.
In the future, i also want to go to university, and eventually hope to become a solicitor, so i want to get good grades.

Other things
Since around last December, I've been suffering from a lot of Stress and Anxiety and it's really affected my confidence and my school work. After visiting the doctors, they recommended talking to the school, but the fact that there's about 2,000 students in the school means it takes a long time for things to happen. The school didn't really do much to help and arranged a meeting during my English mock which wasn't helpful at all. On top of all that, one of my closest friends since yr 7 left at the end of the year, so i am a bit weary of this year,

however, i will try and stay positive about things and try and achieve the best grades that i can.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey, going into year 11 too and have just posted my own GYG if you want to check it out, if you could tag me in your updates as I look forward to following this! Sorry to hear about the stress and anxiety, hope you get further with things happening with the school
Reply 2
Original post by eleanoric
Hey, going into year 11 too and have just posted my own GYG if you want to check it out, if you could tag me in your updates as I look forward to following this! Sorry to hear about the stress and anxiety, hope you get further with things happening with the school

thanks, i'm hoping that now it's a new year the school may have more time, because it was the end of the year and things always get a bit hectic then
Reply 3
So to update three days before i go back, I was set revision, improvements and homework for the summer, and I've managed to complete nearly all of it, I just have some more artist research and 2 more mind maps to make for chemistry and then it'll all be done.

My plan for the year is to start off with 2 or 3 nights a week revision, as well as the homework I'm set going over stuff from year 10, and then building up the nights or hours gradually as we cover more content in year 11. Hopefully this will get me into a good revision routine and will help me to remember topics from year 10 and year 11
Reply 4
Good luck for this year, I'm starting year eleven as well, a bit nervous tbh but I'm sure we'll both do fine.
Reply 5
I go back to school on Wednesday, so today i checked all work was completed, and tomorrow, i'm going to be sorting out all my uniform and checking all my bags and folders are packed
Good Luck. Yr 11 myself so I'll be following this thread to see what it's like for others.

Original post by jemima0103

I hope to achieve at least all 6s in my exams because i hate to aim for really high grades because i don't think i'll ever achieve them, however it would be good to get an 8 in History and Maths because they're my two best subjects and i put in a lot of effort on those two subjects.

Also imo you should aim high:
"If you set your goals ridiculously high and it's a failure, you will fail above everyone else's success." --James Cameron
Reply 7
Original post by ASOBSBZAN
Good Luck. Yr 11 myself so I'll be following this thread to see what it's like for others.
Also imo you should aim high:
"If you set your goals ridiculously high and it's a failure, you will fail above everyone else's success." --James Cameron

Thanks, I think once I've got back into the school routine i'll find it easier to set my self higher targets
:yay: defo will be following! and struggling with stress&anxiety too :frown:
Reply 9
ok, so I'm now officially ready for tommorow, I've laid out all my uniform, packed my bag and checked my timetable for the day, now all I have to do is actually go to school tommorow. 😨😬

I'm now going to chill and watch bake off
(edited 5 years ago)
image-954eeb5a-74fb-4f93-8646-aa27455b2ef81436402482-compressed.jpg.jpeg
ok, so I'm now officially ready for tommorow, I've laid out all my uniform, packed my bag and checked my timetable for the day, now all I have to do is actually go to school tommorow. 😨😬

this is completely random (and I'm so sorry about that) but what's bake off?
Original post by Oseremen A.
this is a thing???

Yeah! It’s pretty entertaining ngl, not to mention known to almost everyone. 😂
Good luck Jemima! Also going into Y11, so I get the pressure lol. Hope it goes well xx
Original post by RazzzBerries
Yeah! It’s pretty entertaining ngl, not to mention known to almost everyone. 😂

Brits... never gonna understand any of you 😂😂😂😂
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Oseremen A.
Birts... never gonna understand any of you 😂😂😂😂

Yeah, we’re too confusing for the rest of the world 😂😂😂

OwO I haven't watched bake off in a disappointingly long time (since it was on BBC 1)
now i want to watch it again, but my TV broke :frown:
first day is done, and it actually went really well.
I'm pleased with my timetable, and my friend moved up into my science set with me.
I've decided to start revising at the weekend, and use the next to days to organise myself.
I also thought i'd treat myself after a great day, and buy some hot chocolate for the colder autumn and winter nights

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending