The Student Room Group

Do certain A-Levels put me at a disadvantage for university application?

I am going to study Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Chemistry at A-level however am considering studying Business as opposed to Chemistry. Would studying Business as opposed to Chemistry put me at a disadvantage when applying to Cambridge or LSE for Economics??
Short answer: Yes
Long answer: Certain subjects have always been more (STEM) and less (business, sociology) reputable, in regards to unis. Top unis definitely look for tougher a level subjects. But at the end of the day it depends on the course and your ability.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by david_bedcriss
I am going to study Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Chemistry at A-level however am considering studying Business as opposed to Chemistry. Would studying Business as opposed to Chemistry put me at a disadvantage when applying to Cambridge or LSE for Economics??

The subjects you take do matter up to a point- however, for a fourth A-level it matters less. Ultimately, getting a poor grade in chemistry will harm your application more than having a good grade in business- do you think you would be able to get an A in chemistry? Are you planning on taking all 4 subjects in y13 as well?
Original post by IQuestionLogic
Short answer: Yes
Long answer: Certain subjects have always been more (STEM) and less (business, sociology) reputable, in regards to unis. Top unis definitely look for tougher a level subjects. But as the end of the day it spends on the course and your ability.

reputable subjects dont just include stem. business and sociology arent examples, but dont exclude english lit, economics, history, philosophy, languages.

Just do Maths, FM and Economics. Some universities only want you to do Economics or Business, not both. For most universities I would say it doesn't matter, but considering where you are applying, drop the business. I wouldn't bother with Chemistry, focus on acing 3 A levels and developing a strong application.
Original post by LMsav
Just do Maths, FM and Economics. Some universities only want you to do Economics or Business, not both. For most universities I would say it doesn't matter, but considering where you are applying, drop the business. I wouldn't bother with Chemistry, focus on acing 3 A levels and developing a strong application.

Fully agree with this. Look at potential uni entry requirements, and focus on three subjects.

Original post by anonymous1231231
reputable subjects dont just include stem. business and sociology arent examples, but dont exclude english lit, economics, history, philosophy, languages.

Yes there are a handful of subjects out of STEM, but STEM encompasses the most popular. Humanities and business (especially older specifications) are considered easier.
Fully agree with this. Look at potential uni entry requirements, and focus on three subjects.

Yes there are a handful of subjects out of STEM, but STEM encompasses the most popular. Humanities and business (especially older specifications) are considered easier.

lol that isn't true at all
lol that isn't true at all

How so?
How so?

humanities aren't considered easier. you tsr 'elites' need to get over yourself, you really don't know a lot. unless you've done every single humanity and stem subject and social sciences, your opinions are invalid. i do french and maths and further maths and history, and my hardest by far is french.
humanities aren't considered easier. you tsr 'elites' need to get over yourself, you really don't know a lot. unless you've done every single humanity and stem subject and social sciences, your opinions are invalid. i do french and maths and further maths and history, and my hardest by far is french.

Damn I didn’t know I was an “elite” :biggrin: I’m sorry but, humanities (or especially social sciences) are generally considered easier than STEM related fields.
Just look at college drop out rates between them, college and uni entry requirements, the avg ability of students enrolling in these courses and which are more desirable for unis/employers.
It’s pretty good that you don’t find FM the hardest of your subjects, but most people are in the opposite. I’m **** at other languages so I’d be in the same boat as you.

Next please don’t tell me that health and social care or sociology is harder than physics😂😂😭
(edited 5 years ago)
Damn I didn’t know I was an “elite” :biggrin: I’m sorry but, humanities (or especially social sciences) are generally considered tougher than STEM related fields.
Just look at college drop out rates between them, college and uni entry requirements, the avg ability of students enrolling in these courses and which are more desirable for unis/employers.
It’s pretty good that you don’t find FM the hardest of your subjects, but most people are in the opposite. I’m **** at other languages so I’d be in the same boat as you.

Next please don’t tell me that health and social care or sociology is harder than physics😂😂😭

lol you're right, humanities are harder.
drop out rates mean nothing, there are people forced to do subjects like medicine by parents who realise they dont want to do it.
if u tell me subjects like law and economics aren't hard you're stupid, but yes thank you humanities are harder.

and dude, please read what im writing. im saying hard humanity subjects are difficult, not soft subjects like the ones you're listing. i even said earlier they arent
Reply 11

Just do Maths, FM and Economics.

LSE are now absolutely fine with 3 A-levels and having FM as the 3rd A-level, and Cambridge has been for years.

Don't do a 4th just for the sake of it.

A*A*A > A*A*BB

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol you're right, humanities are harder.
drop out rates mean nothing, there are people forced to do subjects like medicine by parents who realise they dont want to do it.
if u tell me subjects like law and economics aren't hard you're stupid, but yes thank you humanities are harder.

and dude, please read what im writing. im saying hard humanity subjects are difficult, not soft subjects like the ones you're listing. i even said earlier they arent

I hate TSR mobile, can’t use this. Obviously meant to say easier:biggrin:
Yes law and eco (took at A2) are hard (personally I think of eco bsc courses). But name other subjects that are are comparable to the difficulty of STEM subjects.
A weirdly specific scenario with medicine. You can’t just say drop out rates mean nothing, people are not being forced by their parents on mass, they just didn’t get a C/D or **** themselves looking at the A2 spec. What about uni/college requirements then, and other indications?
It has even been documented that people are less inclined to pick Math based fields, out of difficulty or at least fear of. Certain STEM subjects have always been generally tougher, more scarce and better renowned. It’s just fact.
You are basing this on your experience, that humanities like history and English lit are hard/harder than STEM which I’m your case is true. But not for most people.

Back to the question, I still hold the opinion that if you were to take business instead of Chem it can hurt your chances. But not as much as it’s a fourth optional subject.

Bottom line is that difficulty depends on the individual them self, whether it is humanities, ss or STEM. I’m just saying that on average people think/find math/STEM more difficult. You don’t need to be near the avg.
Original post by Doonesbury
Just do Maths, FM and Economics.

LSE are now absolutely fine with 3 A-levels and having FM as the 3rd A-level, and Cambridge has been for years.

Don't do a 4th just for the sake of it.

A*A*A > A*A*BB

Posted from TSR Mobile

True
I hate TSR mobile, can’t use this. Obviously meant to say easier:biggrin:
Yes law and eco (took at A2) are hard (personally I think of eco bsc courses). But name other subjects that are are comparable to the difficulty of STEM subjects.
A weirdly specific scenario with medicine. You can’t just say drop out rates mean nothing, people are not being forced by their parents on mass, they just didn’t get a C/D or **** themselves looking at the A2 spec. What about uni/college requirements then, and other indications?
It has even been documented that people are less inclined to pick Math based fields, out of difficulty or at least fear of. Certain STEM subjects have always been generally tougher, more scarce and better renowned. It’s just fact.
You are basing this on your experience, that humanities like history and English lit are hard/harder than STEM which I’m your case is true. But not for most people.

Back to the question, I still hold the opinion that if you were to take business instead of Chem it can hurt your chances. But not as much as it’s a fourth optional subject.

Bottom line is that difficulty depends on the individual them self, whether it is humanities, ss or STEM. I’m just saying that on average people think/find math/STEM more difficult. You don’t need to be near the avg.

im not basing it just off of experience, dont know about you though. and you say it like law and eco are obviously hard even tho u slandered social sciences and humanities lol, be careful with your words.

i dont think thats true. im terrible at bio but not because its hard because its boring. i know that because for my AS in it, i revised a normal amount and got an A. most of my friends just think stem is boring tbh.

i know im not average:smile:

and i do agree that business can perhaps hurt your chances a tiny bit (only a bit cause fourth subject), i never said otherwise. its a soft subject, and too similar to economics (LSE has stated they don't really look at those with both subjects as they're too similar).

and u said what u said, humanities forever:smile:
says the biased hopeful law student and you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending