The Student Room Group

OrangeArcher's Procrastination... Motivation to A*A*A

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lemur14
That's really good that you'd be happy with any of your choices :smile: I'm trying to keep that attitude with Oxford but I know I will be really gutted if I don't get an offer :colondollar: (Not saying you won't be of course but I think your attitude internally seems to be better than mine) Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbh vet degrees are different to most other degrees due to the fact that all vet schools are equivalent in the standards of teaching etc. so getting a degree from any is as good as Cambridge. I'm sure you'll get an offer from Oxford as you are so hardworking and studious!
Original post by OrangeArcher
Tbh vet degrees are different to most other degrees due to the fact that all vet schools are equivalent in the standards of teaching etc. so getting a degree from any is as good as Cambridge. I'm sure you'll get an offer from Oxford as you are so hardworking and studious!

Yeah I see the same for medicine, I guess that's good as it means you don't have the same pressure to go for too unis when it's already a competitive subject?
Aww thank you! (But if you think I'm studious then think again :lol: I work long hours but that's because I'm inefficient tbh)
Giving this a follow! Wishing you the very best for the year ahead :smile: (I'm also applying to nottingham ooo)
Original post by Lemur14
Yeah I see the same for medicine, I guess that's good as it means you don't have the same pressure to go for too unis when it's already a competitive subject?
Aww thank you! (But if you think I'm studious then think again :lol: I work long hours but that's because I'm inefficient tbh)

In some way I'm glad that I don't have to overly worry about getting the offer I want as I'm just aiming for a single offer to study veterinary medicine

Original post by buzzyambee
Giving this a follow! Wishing you the very best for the year ahead :smile: (I'm also applying to nottingham ooo)

Thank you, I haven't visited Nottingham yet but Surrey has been my favourite so far (haven't visited Cambridge vet school either but I have been to Cambridge)
How was the first day back to school?
Original post by FutureMissMRCS
How was the first day back to school?

It was okayish. I had double biology and then double chemistry (which was definitely not what I wanted on my first day back) with a free afterwards. I found both biology and chemistry fine but I just wanted a less jam-packed day if that makes sense?
04/09/2018 - First day as a year 13

I started back at my sixth form today and I have to say it was not the worst day, but also not the best day, it was just a bit meh. My day started with me being in a new form (one of my form tutors left and the other is off on maternity leave) and we spent form time (first period as it is now classed) and second period just chilling and getting on with sorting ourselves out for the new year. I was meant to have double biology (period 2 and 3) but I only had biology period 3 because of being in form during period 2. I have two new teachers for biology this year (although the one I had today used to work at the school a year ago and has since come back) which is somewhat exciting and worrying as I'm not sure if I will like their teaching styles. We did a small practical today where we collected woodlice and marked them with a small droplet of tippex and then released them. We will then collect woodlice from the same area where we found and released the marked woodlice to see if the woodlice stay in the same sort of area using the Lincoln Index. I then had double chemistry where we were going over carboxylic acids and the reactions that occur when they are with different chemicals e.g. alcohols etc. We did a couple of the reactions and that is about all we did in double chemistry. I then had a free where I basically did nothing and then I stayed after sixth form in hopes of writing some personal statement but also did nothing then.

I talked with my biology teacher (who I had last year) about my application to Cambridge for veterinary medicine and she has given me a bit of reassurance about some worries that I had (e.g. the college I have picked, NSAA etc.) and she also told me that she is going to make sure that I have a chemistry teacher, and a maths teacher to tutor me for the NSAA (She said she will do the tutoring for the biology section). I didn't even know that she was going to get other teachers to tutor me so I'm pretty happy about that as I think it will be quite helpful :smile:.

That's all for now guys, I'm going to type up some biology notes as I fell asleep after eating Domino's pizza :colondollar: My biology test has been moved to Friday after sixth form so that is quite nice as well as I can revise a bit more :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
In some way I'm glad that I don't have to overly worry about getting the offer I want as I'm just aiming for a single offer to study veterinary medicine)

Yeah even a little bit of pressure eased is good :yep:
Glad your teacher is organising some tutoring for you, that should help make things easier :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
In some way I'm glad that I don't have to overly worry about getting the offer I want as I'm just aiming for a single offer to study veterinary medicine

Thank you, I haven't visited Nottingham yet but Surrey has been my favourite so far (haven't visited Cambridge vet school either but I have been to Cambridge)

I really liked Nottingham, I'm sure you would too! How did you choose your college for Cambridge?
Original post by Lemur14
Yeah even a little bit of pressure eased is good :yep:
Glad your teacher is organising some tutoring for you, that should help make things easier :smile:

Yeah it does :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by buzzyambee
I really liked Nottingham, I'm sure you would too! How did you choose your college for Cambridge?

I have only visited a couple of colleges at Cambridge but having looked at some online I have found that I keep going back to looking at Girton College. I like how Girton isn't in the centre of Cambridge so not many tourists visit it and it also isn't as far from the department of veterinary medicine as some of the others. I like how Girton college also takes the most vet applicants as I want to be able to get to know my course mates better.
05/09/2018 - A Quiet Day

On a Wednesday I only have one lesson, which is chemistry, and that is during period 3 so I think Wednesday is going to be my favourite day as I will be able to get on with quite a bit of work due to having 4 frees. I spent period 2 (form is now period 1) doing some biology revision and stressing out a bit at how close the deadline is for veterinary medicine. I then had chemistry with the new head of chemistry at my school. I didn't know what I would think of my new chemistry teacher but she seems a really good teacher and I think she will be able to help me get an A* (she asked each of us what grade we were aiming for). We started the A2 component of period 3 reactions and just did some questions on the trends from year 12 to make sure that we were comfortable with the year 12 content before delving into the year 13 content. I then had period 4, 5 and 6 free so I went into town during period 4 and bought some food and then watched some YouTube videos. I then went with one of my friends to walk a family friend's dog for an hour and then got a Mango and Passion fruit Fruit Cooler from Costa. I have done a bit of biology revision tonight but I'm just trying to get into the swing of A-levels again. I picked up my University of Cambridge pre-interview assessments registration form today and I have selected the NSAA for veterinary medicine (D100). After picking up the form I have realised that everything is becoming so real and that I will have applied to vet schools within the next month and I will know if I have been accepted by Cambridge within 4 months. I'm getting excited to apply and go to any interviews that I may be invited to.
glad your wednesday went well. (it looks like everyone's wednesdays are nice, mine aren't so :sad:)
Sounds like a nice day! Wish I would get a day like that on my timetable :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
06/09/2018 - A little bit of stress never hurt anyone...

My day started with double biology, which was a fun two hours :biggrin:.I met my other new biology teacher today and she is so helpful so I think I'm going to have a good year for biology (I still want that A*). We finished off our practical by going out and recapturing woodlice from the same area where we released them and then counted how many woodlice had a dot of tippex on them. After collecting the data about the woodlice, we released them and then calculated the Lincoln's index. The teacher asked each group for their data so we could also work out a pooled class data Lincoln's index to make our experiment more accurate. I have also come to the realisation that I have so much ecology work to do that I haven't had time to do (I was meant to complete it before the summer holidays but I wasn't there during the least week of the school term and I have been so busy during the summer). I then had one free where I went over some biology questions in preparation for my mock tomorrow. I also handed in my form to be entered for the NSAA for the course D100 (veterinary medicine) which basically means that I am now applying to Cambridge whether I like it or not :colone:. I then had my first maths lesson of year 13 and we just covered some year 12 stuff in preparation for partial fractions tomorrow. I asked my maths teacher if I could do another maths test to make sure I was comfortable with being predicted an A and it turns out that he is going to do a small test next week on a few topics so I'm definitely screwed seeing as I have an important chemistry test on Tuesday. My last period was a free so I spent some more time revising biology and then after school asked my old biology teacher a few questions that I was concerned about.

I got home and updated my choices on UCAS track to Cambridge, Edinburgh, Surrey and Nottingham. I've also spent most of the night going through past papers with the mark schemes to make sure I know exactly what they are looking for. I have an Oxbridge meeting tomorrow lunch time, which I am looking forward to. That's all for now :wink:
Original post by nyxnko_
glad your wednesday went well. (it looks like everyone's wednesdays are nice, mine aren't so :sad:)

Thanks, I'm sorry to hear your Wednesday's aren't nice
Original post by Lemur14
Sounds like a nice day! Wish I would get a day like that on my timetable :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm so glad that I can actually chill for a little bit (if I can spare the time to)
Thanks, I'm sorry to hear your Wednesday's aren't nice

PRSOM :hugs:
2 sets of double periods and then 'complimentary studies' just isn't nice. :no:
Original post by nyxnko_
PRSOM :hugs:
2 sets of double periods and then 'complimentary studies' just isn't nice. :no:

I thought I was going to have a period of maths on my day with double biology, and double chemistry so I'm not envious of your day :colondollar:
07/09/2018 - The day of my biology mock

Today was the day where I needed to prove myself to my (old) biology teacher so she would predict me an A*, which I desperately need to be predicted so I can apply to Cambridge. I had first two lessons free so I went over some past paper questions and made sure I knew exactly what the mark scheme wanted from me as I find I write far too much for each question when I don't need to so I end up wasting valuable time when taking an exam. I didn't attempt to remember specific answers but if there were fact recall questions then I made sure I understood why the answer was what it was and I tried to make sure that I had that knowledge so I could then apply it if the questions were horrendous application questions. I had maths next and we began partial fractions, which I didn't find too bad, but thankfully I had the textbook in front of me as the maths teacher began confusing himself with one of the examples and I knew I would have got confused without my textbook (I'm the only person in my class to have bought both the year 1 and year 2 textbooks as I sometimes feel like we don't get taught everything). I then had lunch but had to go and attend an Oxbridge/Veterinary Medicine/Medicine/Dentistry session to make sure the teachers know where we are applying so we can get tutoring for specific admissions assessments (e.g. biology, chemistry, and maths tutoring for the NSAA) and so we all know that we will have a couple of external doctors (PhD) helping mentor us. I have found out that I think the other girl applying for vet med is also applying to Cambridge (or is likely to be) so I reckon our tutoring sessions will be together but I'm getting a little competitive tbh as I really want to get into veterinary medicine. I then had a free where I did a bit more biology revision in preparation for my biology mock after school. I then had maths for the final lesson of the day and we just continued on with some partial fraction questions. The end of the day came around pretty quickly and I sat my biology mock (I had attempted that one before but hadn't memorised the mark scheme unlike one person who was resitting as she failed her last mock) which was okay and I'm hoping I have achieved an A so I can be predicted an A* (highest grade is an A in that test). I then went to my normal vets for about half an hour to help with cleaning and packaging equipment to be autoclaved and then when I got home I decided to sleep for a couple of hours as I was so drained. That's all for now :biggrin:
Partial fractions :woo:
Glad the bio mock went okay. Hopefully, your bio teacher will predict you an A* :yes:
You get tutoring for the NSAA? Luckyy.. we've got to do it ourselves.. :grumble:
Glad the mock went okay :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending