The Student Room Group

Best possible first car?

Hi Guys,

Hopefully buying my first car very very soon and would like advice on which would in your opinion is the best out of the bunch.

All give similar insurance quotes aswell.

Ford fiesta (2005-2007)

Fiat Grande Punto (2006-2010)

Seat Ibiza (2005-2007)

Vauxhall Corsa which will just be a girl magnet (2006-2008)

What we thinking people, if you have had a good or bad experience with any of these cars please let me know.

P.S i have my first driving lesson today, weyyyyyyy

Scroll to see replies

You need that Vauxhall Corsa since it attracts all the girls to your yard.
Why would a corsa be a girl magnet? 🤔🤔
Reply 3
Original post by SanityIsGone

Perhaps you've never heard of stereotypes...
Original post by RichPiana
You need that Vauxhall Corsa since it attracts all the girls to your yard.

Exactly, im a roadman already i may aswell upgrade.
Original post by SanityIsGone

Just a meme that goes around, the stereotype is that its a chav car and picks up 14 year old girls which is noncey but that is how it is.

But as i am a chav and have a moped i may aswell get the 4 wheel version
Reply 6
They are all in the same class of car, so there isn't a great deal to differentiate them. But if I had to choose I'd go for the Fiesta and here is why.

+ Cheapest on your list and so popular that you are likely to find a good deal somewhere. More choice means you will find it easier to find one in good condition with good service and MOT history. This is the most important factor: Condition.

+ Fun to drive, it's supposedly one of the key selling points of a Fiesta.
+ Comes in lots of equipment options and engine sizes, and a variety of insurance groups (5-28). So really, pick whatever you want/need.
+ Fairly reliable (has a higher reliability index than all the other cars you listed)
+ Decent dimensions, good size boot for it's class. Comes with fold rear seats.
- A bit outdated now, drab interior but kind of expected at this age.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Fiesta or Corsa. Keep it simple.
Ford Festa hands down
Original post by Menrva
They are all in the same class of car, so there isn't a great deal to differentiate them. But if I had to choose I'd go for the Fiesta and here is why.

+ Cheapest on your list and so popular that you are likely to find a good deal somewhere. More choice means you will find it easier to find one in good condition with good service and MOT history. This is the most important factor: Condition.

+ Fun to drive, it's supposedly one of the key selling points of a Fiesta.
+ Comes in lots of equipment options and engine sizes, and a variety of insurance groups (5-28). So really, pick whatever you want/need.
+ Fairly reliable (has a higher reliability index than all the other cars you listed)
+ Decent dimensions, good size boot for it's class. Comes with fold rear seats.
- A bit outdated now, drab interior but kind of expected at this age.

Honestly, thank you so much. You have literally sold me.

I think i am going to buy one hopefully by next week even though i have just started lessons i think it would be good for me to practice with my mum and get some private hours in.
Original post by KrissyJay
Ford Festa hands down

Yeah, i think thats what i will go for to be honest, still 3k+ for a fiesta thats a 1.2 / 1.4 is a joke
Original post by Drewski
Fiesta or Corsa. Keep it simple.

Yeah i think im sold on the fiesta, insurance is over 3 grand though but im looking at around 3 grand for any car without a BB
Original post by MrCole&Co
Yeah, i think thats what i will go for to be honest, still 3k+ for a fiesta thats a 1.2 / 1.4 is a joke

My first car was a 1.4l Peugeot 207.

Did the job. Had it for a year, had to replace the clutch because i ruined it by doing a burnout and had to get a coolant leak fixed. Car + those repairs which were my fault = 2K :smile:

Shop around a bit more. You'll be surprised what you can get if you look hard enough
My first car was a 1.4l Peugeot 207.

Did the job. Had it for a year, had to replace the clutch because i ruined it by doing a burnout and had to get a coolant leak fixed. Car + those repairs which were my fault = 2K :smile:

Shop around a bit more. You'll be surprised what you can get if you look hard enough

Sorry i meant the car, the car is only 1k max.

Insurance is 3k, haha

I was debating about getting a pug but i have heard a lot of bad things about it
Hi Guys,

Hopefully buying my first car very very soon and would like advice on which would in your opinion is the best out of the bunch.

Ford fiesta (2005-2007)

Seat Ibiza (2005-2007)

What we thinking people, if you have had a good or bad experience with any of these cars please let me know.

fiat grande cuz ferrari starts with F and is Italian and so does fiat and grande is italian #LOGICC
Original post by smartiecookie
fiat grande cuz ferrari starts with F and is Italian and so does fiat and grande is italian #LOGICC

Illuminati?
Sorry i meant the car, the car is only 1k max.

Insurance is 3k, haha

I was debating about getting a pug but i have heard a lot of bad things about it

eh, theyre not the most reliable haha but it worked for me. 1K sounds about right although the insurance seems high tbh
eh, theyre not the most reliable haha but it worked for me. 1K sounds about right although the insurance seems high tbh

maybe because im from london and just 17.

Any car with a black box is 3k.
Ford interior = Grimmest thing known to man
Hi Guys,

Ford fiesta (2005-2007)

Seat Ibiza (2005-2007)

Dont get a fist punto.
I had one as my first car. It was that unreliable i only kept it 6 months.

How about a hyundai i20?

Quick Reply

Latest