The Student Room Group

What should you do to prepare for your first lesson of Psychology??????

Oh....and Religious Studies and Politics?????
Read the specifications.
Learn the definition of certain words/phrases as found on the specification (as above!)
Original post by DrawTheLine
Read the specifications.

Done it thrice..Girl and holler!!!
Original post by Noodlzzz
Learn the definition of certain words/phrases as found on the specification (as above!)

Will they test u on it........i did the summerbhomework....
For psychology I'd recomend starting with terminology and what the main perspectives are such as; behaviourism, cognative psychology, biopsychology, psychodynmanamic etc etc. Each topic will have core research/researcher's within them too (Frued, Skinner, Pavlov, Vygotsky, Maslow, Bowlby to name a few). For A level you want to be able to argue from every perspecsptive of psycgology raitonaly and with research and theory to support it. If you're looking to get a head start I will happily recomend some stuff
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by A level RPP
Will they test u on it........i did the summerbhomework....

Well yes your exam will be based on the spec.
Original post by robyn_hemingway
For psychology I'd recomend starting with terminology and what the main perspectives are such as; behaviourism, cognative psychology, biopsychology, psychodynmanamic etc etc. Each topic will have core research/researcher's within them too (Frued, Skinner, Pavlov, Vygotsky, Maslow, Bowlby to name a few). For A level you want to be able to argue from every perspecsptive of psycgology raitonaly and with research and theory to support it. If you're looking to get a head start I will happily recomend some stuff

Yes please recommend some stuff....thank you!!!
Original post by A level RPP
Yes please recommend some stuff....thank you!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo4pMVb0R6M&list=PL8dPuuaLjXtOPRKzVLY0jJY-uHOH9KVU6

There's a youtube channal called Crash Course ( the link above)
I'd recomend them to get familair with the key idea's and terminiolgy then you'll need to use more acidemic sorces such as textbooks, studies (google sholar is good). If you're just wanting a head start use the video's to find what area's intrest you and study them first then do more if you wish.

For Behavoural Psychology the main researchers you're going to head about are Bandura who did an experiment on bobo doll's getting children to model (copy) certain behaviours. Pavlov and his infamous dog, a classic study of classical condition (one of the two main ways behaviourist think we learn), then for the second way B.F Skinner is a good example he did experiments on rat's to prove learning threough reinforcement and punishment. Waton and rayner did an experiement conditioning a phoiba into a baby using conditon techique's also.

For biopsychology I'd recomend starting to learn some of the brain structures and functions of the brain. Watch video's explaing the different area's and the functions at a basic level then move onto detailed ones and try pause the video/cover the picture and see if you can "label" the area's. A head start on some of the basic hormones/nurotransmitters would also go along way. There's a few studies relating to this area as well but its more about "knowing the facts".

Cognative Psychology: Is more intrested in the interal thoughts of our brain (internal-mental process) more than the anotomy but you'll notice a knowldge of biopsychology will improve your knowledge of cognative psycgology and vis versa. There's theorys on memory such as the multi store model (theres alot more but i'll leave you to find them), theories of attention, information processing,perception how sensory information is interpted/used etc etc. I'd really recomend watching video's on the cognative psychology topics as the concepts can be hard to grasp if you're new to the subject.

For Psychodynamic (basicly frued and his daughter) you will learn about frued and ethier love or hate him. It's not an area of psychology I enjoy myself but he makes use of things such as dream interpration and hypnosis. He's a little spirtuital I guess... you can find out for yourself haha.

I hope some of thats helpful, I wouldn't go into to much detail about stuff to quickly also try get a broad understand of what all the differnt theories and perspectives have to offer :smile:
Original post by robyn_hemingway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo4pMVb0R6M&list=PL8dPuuaLjXtOPRKzVLY0jJY-uHOH9KVU6

There's a youtube channal called Crash Course ( the link above)
I'd recomend them to get familair with the key idea's and terminiolgy then you'll need to use more acidemic sorces such as textbooks, studies (google sholar is good). If you're just wanting a head start use the video's to find what area's intrest you and study them first then do more if you wish.

For Behavoural Psychology the main researchers you're going to head about are Bandura who did an experiment on bobo doll's getting children to model (copy) certain behaviours. Pavlov and his infamous dog, a classic study of classical condition (one of the two main ways behaviourist think we learn), then for the second way B.F Skinner is a good example he did experiments on rat's to prove learning threough reinforcement and punishment. Waton and rayner did an experiement conditioning a phoiba into a baby using conditon techique's also.

For biopsychology I'd recomend starting to learn some of the brain structures and functions of the brain. Watch video's explaing the different area's and the functions at a basic level then move onto detailed ones and try pause the video/cover the picture and see if you can "label" the area's. A head start on some of the basic hormones/nurotransmitters would also go along way. There's a few studies relating to this area as well but its more about "knowing the facts".

Cognative Psychology: Is more intrested in the interal thoughts of our brain (internal-mental process) more than the anotomy but you'll notice a knowldge of biopsychology will improve your knowledge of cognative psycgology and vis versa. There's theorys on memory such as the multi store model (theres alot more but i'll leave you to find them), theories of attention, information processing,perception how sensory information is interpted/used etc etc. I'd really recomend watching video's on the cognative psychology topics as the concepts can be hard to grasp if you're new to the subject.

For Psychodynamic (basicly frued and his daughter) you will learn about frued and ethier love or hate him. It's not an area of psychology I enjoy myself but he makes use of things such as dream interpration and hypnosis. He's a little spirtuital I guess... you can find out for yourself haha.

I hope some of thats helpful, I wouldn't go into to much detail about stuff to quickly also try get a broad understand of what all the differnt theories and perspectives have to offer :smile:

Thank you so much it was soooooo helpful!!!! Good luck for your a levels or uni or apprentiship or life ( sorry if I spelt apprentiship wrong- probably have!!!!)

Quick Reply

Latest