The Student Room Group

Failed Second Year- I need a transfer to another university

Hi there,I'm having a rough time at the moment and I really need some advice from you.I failed my second year of undergraduate studies and my university doesn't accept to repeat the year.The only possibility for me is to transfer to another university or to quit uni (which I don't want to). Can I get some advice from you?Which universities accept this situation and if so, can I apply through clearing and repeat the second year at another university?Thanks!
Original post by andreea12345aa
Hi there,I'm having a rough time at the moment and I really need some advice from you.I failed my second year of undergraduate studies and my university doesn't accept to repeat the year.The only possibility for me is to transfer to another university or to quit uni (which I don't want to). Can I get some advice from you?Which universities accept this situation and if so, can I apply through clearing and repeat the second year at another university?Thanks!

How many years of HE funding have you used?

Have you done year 1 passed.
Year 2 failed?

Have you used more years?

Was there any reason such as health as to why you failed?

Its unusual if you only failed second year they havent offered you the chance of a retake.

Have you spoken to the advisor at the SU?

In the event they have withdrawn you from the course, then you have to check you have sufficient student finance. If there were compelling personal reasons for year 2 then you could reclaim the finance, which could leave you with enough to start a fresh degree.

If not then your uni should issue you with a cert he, which will cover first year of uni.

It is then up to you to apply through UCAS for a course you can cope with and you need to start sorting it out now as time is running out.
If your A levels were ok then you should be fine. Always easier if you talk to admissions first to make sure they are aware of your withdrawal and they are still interested.
Original post by 999tigger
How many years of HE funding have you used?

Have you done year 1 passed.
Year 2 failed?

Have you used more years?

Was there any reason such as health as to why you failed?

Its unusual if you only failed second year they havent offered you the chance of a retake.

Have you spoken to the advisor at the SU?

In the event they have withdrawn you from the course, then you have to check you have sufficient student finance. If there were compelling personal reasons for year 2 then you could reclaim the finance, which could leave you with enough to start a fresh degree.

If not then your uni should issue you with a cert he, which will cover first year of uni.

It is then up to you to apply through UCAS for a course you can cope with and you need to start sorting it out now as time is running out.
If your A levels were ok then you should be fine. Always easier if you talk to admissions first to make sure they are aware of your withdrawal and they are still interested.

Hi
I passed my first year but without 20 credits (an exam that I didn't t resit)
I didn't use more years and I spoke with someone from Student Finance and everything it's fine with my student loan if I repeat my second year.
No, there weren't medical or personal reasons included. It is just the fact that I did not pass all of my exams...
I spoke with my tutor and he said the only chance to continue to Uni is to make a transfer to another University...
Thanks...
Hi
I passed my first year but without 20 credits (an exam that I didn't t resit)
I didn't use more years and I spoke with someone from Student Finance and everything it's fine with my student loan if I repeat my second year.
No, there weren't medical or personal reasons included. It is just the fact that I did not pass all of my exams...
I spoke with my tutor and he said the only chance to continue to Uni is to make a transfer to another University...
Thanks...

Tbh its a bit of a mess. By not resitting the exam you did not get enough credits to pass year 1, unless they gave you a condoned.

If they give you a cert he, then you can seek to transfer into a second year.

As you dont have a sufficient compelling reason [ either year] then you are denied doing a fresh degree overall. You are going to have to ring round, but your record will make it awkward getting into anywhere decent.

What were your A level grades?

Are you sure you can cope with a degree? Maybe a year off would help you get your academic mojo back?
Tbh its a bit of a mess. By not resitting the exam you did not get enough credits to pass year 1, unless they gave you a condoned.

As you dont have a sufficient compelling reason [ either year] then you are denied doing a fresh degree overall. You are going to have to ring round, but your record will make it awkward getting into anywhere decent.

Are you sure you can cope with a degree? Maybe a year off would help you get your academic mojo back?

I am not from the UK but in my final exams I had really good grade 90% out of 100%.
This year was a total mess.
I can change my course, but I don't what happens with my Student Loan... I need to get in touch with them to ask about that.
I hope it will be alright.

Would taking a year out improve the situation? i think if u want to go back to Uni, u need to prove you are capable of successfully completing the course.

Could u come to an agreement with your University, one of the people i met in halls at Uni was in a similar situation to you, i think he ended up not being part of the Uni the following year but paid to re-sit the exams/coursework the following year after self teaching the modules the next academic year, the Uni let him still have access to lectures and notes on moodle tho but he had to do all the work privately not have support and just had marks from exams, with the idea of re-entering Uni if he passed his failed modules.

I don't know what happened to the guy as I was never close to him, but could u pursue something similar this academic year?

Ask to resit exams, but not be part of the Uni then if u pass re-enter or at least have the credits to transfer and look a little bit more credible. Yes its a year delay in Uni but might help u get back or transfer, good luck
I am not from the UK but in my final exams I had really good grade 90% out of 100%.
This year was a total mess.
I can change my course, but I don't what happens with my Student Loan... I need to get in touch with them to ask about that.
I hope it will be alright.

Then why did you fail the year?
Normally unis offer a resit in the year you fail and if you fail again then they offer a retake. I must be missing something as there doesnt seem to be a retake offered you and they have withdrawn you after failing the resit.

You can transfer course and go into another unis second year, but you have to find someone who is willing to take you.

Your current uni needs to issue you with a cert HE to cover year 1 otherwise you cannot transfer into year2. You say you didnt complete year 1.

SFE will pay the fees for the new course from year 2 onwards. They will not pay year 1.

Shame you didnt ask 6 months ago and you could have prepared fro a compelling personal reasons claim to protect student finance.

You will need to start ringing round now and gauging who might take you.
Original post by malcolmmarecki
Would taking a year out improve the situation? i think if u want to go back to Uni, u need to prove you are capable of successfully completing the course.

Could u come to an agreement with your University, one of the people i met in halls at Uni was in a similar situation to you, i think he ended up not being part of the Uni the following year but paid to re-sit the exams/coursework the following year after self teaching the modules the next academic year, the Uni let him still have access to lectures and notes on moodle tho but he had to do all the work privately not have support and just had marks from exams, with the idea of re-entering Uni if he passed his failed modules.

I don't know what happened to the guy as I was never close to him, but could u pursue something similar this academic year?

Ask to resit exams, but not be part of the Uni then if u pass re-enter or at least have the credits to transfer and look a little bit more credible. Yes its a year delay in Uni but might help u get back or transfer, good luck

The OPs academics are worrying.
It appears the current uni is giving the OP no choice and withdrawing the OP for whatever reason.

It is not an easy situation to resolve.

Btw I am not the OP.
d
Then why did you fail the year?
Normally unis offer a resit in the year you fail and if you fail again then they offer a retake. I must be missing something as there doesnt seem to be a retake offered you and they have withdrawn you after failing the resit.

You can transfer course and go into another unis second year, but you have to find someone who is willing to take you.

Your current uni needs to issue you with a cert HE to cover year 1 otherwise you cannot transfer into year2. You say you didnt complete year 1.

SFE will pay the fees for the new course from year 2 onwards. They will not pay year 1.

Shame you didnt ask 6 months ago and you could have prepared fro a compelling personal reasons claim to protect student finance.

You will need to start ringing round now and gauging who might take you.

I have completed my first year!
d

I have completed my first year!

You said you failed an exam and didnt bother to resit? So th4y must have given you a condoned pass.

This is going round in circles and I dont feel as though I have a full picture of what has gone on.

1. If you want to transfer to another uni , then you need to do so through UCAS and be in contact with clearing now. Normally they would want a cert of HE and ref from your current uni plus possibly a transcript.

2. I am unaware of which unis, but you can use the clearing people to tell you what courses still have places.

3. They will have to know about all your exam results.

4. You will need to tell SFE what has happened and where you have moved to. It is also relevant if you were doing working migrant and getting a maintenance loan. You need to keep that going.

Good luck.
My university is similar. If you have passed overall which OP has he or she got 90. You are normally allowed to continue to the next year. But if you fail to get a pass overall you will be offered to resit exams. If you fail resit exams you will have to withdraw from said university. I fear this will happen to me and i have housing sorted for this year. Its sucks both mine and OP universities are this way. I have seen in other fourms other universities that allow students to retake the year.
Reply 11
In a similar position :frown: finding it hard to transfer, good luck!
Reply 12
if I were you I would apply to Swansea uni they’re great, they’re not too harsh about records and from what I heard they got an award for being the best welsh uni of 2018. The requirement to get in was one A and 2 B’s and in my A levels I only got one A, a C and a D. And I still somehow got in. And a friend from Cambridge who got a degree without honors (I.e an unclassed degree) got in to do his masters. So when I say Swansea aren’t harsh about entry requirements,im really not joking lol. And the teachers are great, right now I’m doing law and working at a 2:1 average. If I can go from D to what is basically a B that tells you how good the learning environment is. No elitism, really friendly quality teachers and lecturers, definitely think of applying there cost of living is also very cheap 👍🏽 There’s also Open University an online uni where you can get in even if you have no A levels. Graduates have a 84 percent employability rate so they’re not really as bad as they sound. One nurse graduate from there I know works in the top hospital in Cardiff. So all in all you still have a lot of options don’t despair what I would do is apply to Swansea uni and then keep OU in your back pocket as a plan b. Plus side: we have a beach next to the Singleton campus.
Reply 13
Original post by em07111
In a similar position :frown: finding it hard to transfer, good luck!

Apply to Swansea uni or Open University! (the later is online though). I feel like I’m spamming this thread a lot but they were really a life saver for me and tons of people I know. Swansea uni from what I remember won best welsh uni of 2018, I’m there now and the lecturers here are great
I would like to know which universities are likely to accept me to retake second year at computer science after failing it and been withdrawn from the university. Or to transfer on to second year of a different course, such as computing.

Hi, I am in the same boat as you! would greatly appreciate any advice you can give me and if you managed to transfer or not?
Reply 16
Original post by simplegeek
Hi, I am in the same boat as you! would greatly appreciate any advice you can give me and if you managed to transfer or not?

Hello brother what did you do, how did you manage out this situation because I’m also in the same problem

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending