The Student Room Group

Feeling like I've failed, need advice on where to go/what to do.

I am currently 21, 22 in December and I have been working dead end minimum wage jobs ever since I finished my first year at college because I simply wanted to earn money like I was just before college (Worked during summer).
I left school with nothing but a C in FoodTech/Cooking, a D in Maths, Failed English and a U in Science for not showing up at all, at least that's what i remember, I do not have my results and do not know how to get them sent to me. Don't need to be told, I have wasted so much time in my life and now as I see people passing me I begin to worry if i am going to be stuck doing the same minimum wage jobs for the rest of my life.
After school, I went to college for just one year which I received a "Level 2 Diploma in Access to Building Services Engineering".
In the same year I was able to pick up a Level 2 Functional Skills Qualification in Mathematics, and a Level 1 of the same in English, the English I feel means nothing anyway. I do not know my best course of action now, I feel like I am stuck. I want to go back to college and actually gain some form of qualification, the only thing I can see myself being interested in is IT/Computing and after doing that I don't know if I would need to go to university also, or not and if so, I have no idea how funding the courses works, if there's any kind of aid you can receive for them or if I have to somehow save enough to fund it all myself and pay rent and living expenses all at the same time. I really don't know anything and am need of serious help... Any is appreciated at this point...
I know you want help and asking questions is the right way to go about it. However, you’re asking the wrong people. You need to ask *yourself* all of these questions and think of a plan of action that you would be happy with. Stop burying your head in the sand and get a damn plan. You know something is wrong so do something about it. Today.

Selfauthoring.com is a good place to start. Give it your time and set your life plan out. Is there something you would find meaning in that doesn’t require academic qualifications? Are you creative? Could you start your own business?
Original post by oYommee
I am currently 21, 22 in December and I have been working dead end minimum wage jobs ever since I finished my first year at college because I simply wanted to earn money like I was just before college (Worked during summer).
I left school with nothing but a C in FoodTech/Cooking, a D in Maths, Failed English and a U in Science for not showing up at all, at least that's what i remember, I do not have my results and do not know how to get them sent to me. Don't need to be told, I have wasted so much time in my life and now as I see people passing me I begin to worry if i am going to be stuck doing the same minimum wage jobs for the rest of my life.
After school, I went to college for just one year which I received a "Level 2 Diploma in Access to Building Services Engineering".
In the same year I was able to pick up a Level 2 Functional Skills Qualification in Mathematics, and a Level 1 of the same in English, the English I feel means nothing anyway. I do not know my best course of action now, I feel like I am stuck. I want to go back to college and actually gain some form of qualification, the only thing I can see myself being interested in is IT/Computing and after doing that I don't know if I would need to go to university also, or not and if so, I have no idea how funding the courses works, if there's any kind of aid you can receive for them or if I have to somehow save enough to fund it all myself and pay rent and living expenses all at the same time. I really don't know anything and am need of serious help... Any is appreciated at this point...

There are options open to you.

The most obvious one I think would be an Access to HE course- see here:
https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/Pages/Default.aspx

You can get an advanced learner loan to fund these courses, which is written off if you progress on to uni. There isn't funding for living costs, but most people do manage to work part time alongside these courses, which may help cover your living expenses.

Usually, the college will help you get the maths and English qualifications you need for uni as well.

Alternatively, if you don't necessarily want to go onto uni, you could look at apprenticeships, these are open to older people as well, and you can earn while you train although the apprentice minimum wage is quite low. Apprenticeships can offer good progression within a company, and can help you get useful qualifications. However, some are better than others, so research any qualifications you would get before signing up. You may need to achieve a level 2 English qualification before starting an apprenticeship.
Reply 3
Original post by SarcAndSpark
There are options open to you.

The most obvious one I think would be an Access to HE course- see here:
https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/Pages/Default.aspx

You can get an advanced learner loan to fund these courses, which is written off if you progress on to uni. There isn't funding for living costs, but most people do manage to work part time alongside these courses, which may help cover your living expenses.

Usually, the college will help you get the maths and English qualifications you need for uni as well.

Alternatively, if you don't necessarily want to go onto uni, you could look at apprenticeships, these are open to older people as well, and you can earn while you train although the apprentice minimum wage is quite low. Apprenticeships can offer good progression within a company, and can help you get useful qualifications. However, some are better than others, so research any qualifications you would get before signing up. You may need to achieve a level 2 English qualification before starting an apprenticeship.

Didn't get to see this until now because of work. Thank you for the information and advice + the link too! I will look into that for sure. To be honest I was rather emotional when writing this post, at 4AM or whatever it was. After thinking things through I am definitely feeling more positive about my future, even knowing it's going to take a hell of a lot of work, it actually feels doable now.

I would really like to progress onto University if possible, but I do not know anything about it honestly. Though I would guess I can learn everything about it while at college, or so I would think.
Original post by oYommee
Didn't get to see this until now because of work. Thank you for the information and advice + the link too! I will look into that for sure. To be honest I was rather emotional when writing this post, at 4AM or whatever it was. After thinking things through I am definitely feeling more positive about my future, even knowing it's going to take a hell of a lot of work, it actually feels doable now.

I would really like to progress onto University if possible, but I do not know anything about it honestly. Though I would guess I can learn everything about it while at college, or so I would think.

Colleges will definitely support you with applying to uni- especially if you are doing an access course as the main aim of the course is to get people into uni.

Why not go and have a chat with your closest further education college and see if they can offer you any suggestions or advice?

There are definitely loads of routes available to you if you want to go to uni, or even just get some more qualifications- although it is hard work, it will be worth it in the long run :h:
Reply 5
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Colleges will definitely support you with applying to uni- especially if you are doing an access course as the main aim of the course is to get people into uni.

Why not go and have a chat with your closest further education college and see if they can offer you any suggestions or advice?

There are definitely loads of routes available to you if you want to go to uni, or even just get some more qualifications- although it is hard work, it will be worth it in the long run :h:

Ended up having a long look at courses, colleges I am able to get to and open days and by some chance there is an open event I will be attending this evening all about the Access courses. :smile:
Original post by oYommee
Ended up having a long look at courses, colleges I am able to get to and open days and by some chance there is an open event I will be attending this evening all about the Access courses. :smile:

Awesome- I hope you manage to find a course you like :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending