The Student Room Group

Btec It and a level

Is double btec It and a level business a good combination.
Or is it better just to do level 3 extended diploma in It without the a level
Original post by Studentsmannny
Is double btec It and a level business a good combination.
Or is it better just to do level 3 extended diploma in It without the a level

Depends what you wish to do. Some courses require an A level. Sciences and things like Engineering or CS. I think they require Maths or a Science.

The way to do it is to do some research and look at the entrance requirements at the unis and on the courses you are interested in. That way you know for sure what they want and take the appropriate combination.

You dont tell us what subjects or what course.
Reply 2
Either take the BTEC Diploma in IT + A level Maths or take the BTEC Extended Diploma in IT.

A level Business isn't require for any course so makes it essentially pointless taking it. Even if you end up deciding to apply for a Business degree both options I mention will get you there. But I reckon you might struggle to get into a good Computer Science degree with just the Diploma + A level Business.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by 999tigger
Depends what you wish to do. Some courses require an A level. Sciences and things like Engineering or CS. I think they require Maths or a Science.

The way to do it is to do some research and look at the entrance requirements at the unis and on the courses you are interested in. That way you know for sure what they want and take the appropriate combination.

You dont tell us what subjects or what course.

What about accounting. I know people that just studied a level 3 business extended diploma in business and now studying accounting
Original post by yt7777
Either take the BTEC Diploma in IT + A level Maths or take the BTEC Extended Diploma in IT.

A level Business isn't require for any course so makes it essentially pointless taking it. Even if you end up deciding to apply for a Business degree both options I mention will get you there. But I reckon you might struggle to get into a good Computer Science degree with just the Diploma + A level Business.

Hope this helps :smile:

Just want to keep my options as open as I can with these 2 choices
Reply 5
Just want to keep my options as open as I can with these 2 choices

Taking A level Business doesn't open any extra options than the Extended BTEC in iT would give you.

In fact, it actually closes a lot of doors if you end up deciding to pursue a technical degree. Which the Extended in IT would allow you to do, as well as a Business degree.

A level Business isn't a required subject for ANY university and it isn't actually accepted at some universities, there are also universities that do not accept the BTEC Diploma (2 A levels) but will accept the BTEC Extended Diploma, you'd be shooting yourself in the foot big time by taking A level Business.
Original post by yt7777
Taking A level Business doesn't open any extra options than the Extended BTEC in iT would give you.

In fact, it actually closes a lot of doors if you end up deciding to pursue a technical degree. Which the Extended in IT would allow you to do, as well as a Business degree.

A level Business isn't a required subject for ANY university and it isn't actually accepted at some universities, there are also universities that do not accept the BTEC Diploma (2 A levels) but will accept the BTEC Extended Diploma, you'd be shooting yourself in the foot big time by taking A level Business.

To be honest I just want one a level with the double btec. Apart from maths and CS. I just want to sit one a level aswell. Is there any you could recommend that will go well...
Reply 7
To be honest I just want one a level with the double btec. Apart from maths and CS. I just want to sit one a level aswell. Is there any you could recommend that will go well...

None, because it would be completely counter productive and limit your options - You will have more options with just the Extended diploma...

If you're really set on taking the Diploma + an A level the only logical choice is Maths or Computer Science (or perhaps Physics for some unis). Any other choice is completely pointless and will rule out so good options!

Take for example UCL who offer a really strong IT Management for Business degree, probably the best on in the UK, they DO NOT accept a combination of a BTEC Diploma + 1 A level. But they DO accept a BTEC Extended Diploma on its own.
Original post by yt7777
None, because it would be completely counter productive and limit your options - You will have more options with just the Extended diploma...

If you're really set on taking the Diploma + an A level the only logical choice is Maths or Computer Science (or perhaps Physics for some unis). Any other choice is completely pointless and will rule out so good options!

Take for example UCL who offer a really strong IT Management for Business degree, probably the best on in the UK, they DO NOT accept a combination of a BTEC Diploma + 1 A level. But they DO accept a BTEC Extended Diploma on its own.

If I decide to do a apprenticeship after college instead of uni. Do you still think the extended diploma would be the best option, rather than diploma and business. Even if I wanted to do a apprenticeship in a subject like accounting
Reply 9
If I decide to do a apprenticeship after college instead of uni. Do you still think the extended diploma would be the best option, rather than diploma and business. Even if I wanted to do a apprenticeship in a subject like accounting

Arguably not better for Accountancy but it has a tonne more pro's than con's.

Not even a Business or Accounting apprenticeship will specifically require A level Business. The IT Extended Diploma would be perfectly adequate for that, and massively increase your university prospects.

It makes no sense at all to do A level Business.
Original post by yt7777
Arguably not better for Accountancy but it has a tonne more pro's than con's.

Not even a Business or Accounting apprenticeship will specifically require A level Business. The IT Extended Diploma would be perfectly adequate for that, and massively increase your university prospects.

It makes no sense at all to do A level Business.

Hi,
So had my enrolment. Unfortunately triple IT btec was full :frown:. However I was able to take double IT and a single business btec. This is not what I initially wanted to do but was my only next option. Do you reckon I’ll still be able to get in unis like Manchester uni or Manchester metropolitan u?
Reply 11
Hi,
So had my enrolment. Unfortunately triple IT btec was full :frown:. However I was able to take double IT and a single business btec. This is not what I initially wanted to do but was my only next option. Do you reckon I’ll still be able to get in unis like Manchester uni or Manchester metropolitan u?

That's a shame, perhaps you can ask your college to notify you if someone drops out allowing you to enrol.

You'll easily get into Manchester Metropolitan but its an awful uni, you could get into much better and I'd seriously recommend going to the best uni that you can.

You could possibly get into University of Manchester as they state:

""We consider the National Diploma for entry provided it is in a subject relevant to the chosen course. Entry requirements are based on achievement of the full BTEC National Diploma at D*D plus grade B at A-level"

They may accept a Distinction in your Business BTEC instead of the B at A level, but the only way you'll find this out is by emailing their admissions.

You most likely will not be able to go to UCL now for their Information Management degree though as they do not accept a combination of BTECs. They only accept the full Extended Diploma for BTEC entry.
Original post by yt7777
That's a shame, perhaps you can ask your college to notify you if someone drops out allowing you to enrol.

You'll easily get into Manchester Metropolitan but its an awful uni, you could get into much better and I'd seriously recommend going to the best uni that you can.

You could possibly get into University of Manchester as they state:

""We consider the National Diploma for entry provided it is in a subject relevant to the chosen course. Entry requirements are based on achievement of the full BTEC National Diploma at D*D plus grade B at A-level"

They may accept a Distinction in your Business BTEC instead of the B at A level, but the only way you'll find this out is by emailing their admissions.

You most likely will not be able to go to UCL now for their Information Management degree though as they do not accept a combination of BTECs. They only accept the full Extended Diploma for BTEC entry.

Hi,
Went to induction day today and they were able to change it to the extended diploma in IT
Reply 13
Hi,
Went to induction day today and they were able to change it to the extended diploma in IT

That's great news!
Original post by yt7777
That's great news!

Do you honestly believe that this was the best option for me. Instead of doing the diploma btec alongside Business a level or business btec
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 15
Do you honestly believe that this was the best option for me. Instead of doing the diploma btec alongside Business a level or business btec

100%

Of course it is the right decision.

It doesn't close any doors if you wish do study a degree/apprenticeship in Business in the future...

But it also keeps doors open if you carry on wanting to pursue IT or Computing.

Honestly, It's a no-brainer.

Quick Reply

Latest