The Student Room Group

What A levels to choose? HELP.. URGENT

I want to study both Business and computer science as a double major and economics as a minor or Business and Economics as a double major and computer science as a minor at a top tier/elite American university. But I don't know what A levels to Take to keep options open for both choices. I want to take further math and mathematics as they prefer it for economics and computer science. But I don't know what else to take, like for a business and a economics double major, i don't know if i should take both economics and business studies at a levels because most universities don't like it because of overlap and similarity. Like i literally don't know if taking both economics and business or taking which one of them will be the right choice for the double degree and make the chances higher for me to get in. I'm sorry the question is too long/complicated but I need all the help and guidance i can get as I'm very stressed over it. I'll be very happy if somebody clears it for me. Thank youu.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Reply 2
I would personally recommend maths, further maths, economics and, if you're allowed to take 4, computer science. You will not need business studies at A-level.
Original post by Sinnoh
I would personally recommend maths, further maths, economics and, if you're allowed to take 4, computer science. You will not need business studies at A-level.

hey! thanks for your reply. But, will I be able to go for business and econs in good universities with only economics?
Reply 4
Original post by moumisayed
hey! thanks for your reply. But, will I be able to go for business and econs in good universities with only economics?

I've heard there is a bit of overlap, and honestly business studies isn't as well-respected as the other three. Besides, they've probably made their course to accommodate for people who aren't able to take business studies A-level, because it's not that common.
Reply 5
Maths, Further Maths and Eco.
Don't overwhelm yourself with 4 subjects especially if you're doing those 3 but if you think you can do 4 then go for it
Original post by Sinnoh
I've heard there is a bit of overlap, and honestly business studies isn't as well-respected as the other three. Besides, they've probably made their course to accommodate for people who aren't able to take business studies A-level, because it's not that common.

Ohh, so I can go for business management/administration with econs A level?
Original post by smhn
Maths, Further Maths and Eco.
Don't overwhelm yourself with 4 subjects especially if you're doing those 3 but if you think you can do 4 then go for it

I think I can go with 4, it's common where I live. But, I need one more subject to keep my comp science option open. What would u suggest?
Reply 8
Ohh, so I can go for business management/administration with econs A level?

I think so, but do check with the university. I'm thinking that this would all be new content anyway and not something that heavily builds on your current subject knowledge.
Reply 9
I think I can go with 4, it's common where I live. But, I need one more subject to keep my comp science option open. What would u suggest?

Your CS option is already open since you're doing maths and fm. CS at A-level isn't required so I say go for a subject less demanding
Original post by smhn
Your CS option is already open since you're doing maths and fm. CS at A-level isn't required so I say go for a subject less demanding

Hey! Thanks so much for your reply. But, I have one more question lol. Sorry 😅. So, example if I didn’t wanna do business and econs but only business and computer science double major and econs minor . Do I still take economics as A level? What should I take?
Original post by Sinnoh
I think so, but do check with the university. I'm thinking that this would all be new content anyway and not something that heavily builds on your current subject knowledge.

Hey! Thanks so much for your reply. But, I have one more question lol. Sorry 😅. So, example if I didn’t wanna do business and econs but only business and computer science double major and econs minor . Do I still take economics as A level? What should I take?
Reply 12

I would still recommend maths, econ and CS, but what you should really do is send an email to the admissions staff. They'll know more than I do.

Quick Reply

Latest