The Student Room Group

Teachers, Trainees and NQT chat thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by SarcAndSpark
To become a teaching assistant, you'll just need to look for local vacancies- I think these are usually advertised about one half term in advance on LA or school websites (as well as other recruiting sites).

Do be aware the pay is very low, as you only usually get paid 8.30-3.30 and there is no pay for the school holidays. Competition is often fierce, though, as a lot of mums with children want this kind of school hours, term time only job.

If you're thinking of teaching, why not get an "ordinary" part time job and get some work experience in schools at the same time?

Thank you. Already have work experience, I worked throughout my degree in an educational centre - after school. Still can't decide to go for this PGCE.
Original post by H.a.hx
Thank you. Already have work experience, I worked throughout my degree in an educational centre - after school. Still can't decide to go for this PGCE.

Why not try something completely different for this year, then? That might help you figure out what you want to do?
Hi all! Completed my PGCE in secondary science at Durham uni this June. Taking up my NQT post in a school in N Yorks on Monday :smile:Any questions please ask and I can try to help, otherwise enjoy the beginning of a fab year!
Reply 83
Why not try something completely different for this year, then? That might help you figure out what you want to do?

Thank you, that's the plan. I just graduated this summer, so I thought it was a bit of rush to go into something I wasn't sure about and I'd rather not regret it.
Original post by H.a.hx
Thank you, that's the plan. I just graduated this summer, so I thought it was a bit of rush to go into something I wasn't sure about and I'd rather not regret it.

That sounds like a good idea. Personally, I feel more excited and confident about teaching now I'm that bit older and have had a bit of time away from education.
Reply 85
That sounds like a good idea. Personally, I feel more excited and confident about teaching now I'm that bit older and have had a bit of time away from education.

Thanks. All the best with teaching :smile:
Original post by H.a.hx
Thanks. All the best with teaching :smile:

Good luck with whatever you decide to do next!
Hello! I'm starting my Primary 3-7 PGCE on Monday and I'm currently terrified. I have just completed the EYITT course meaning I am an Early Years Teacher and feel like I am about to go through the same horrible experience all over again. My passion is working with ages 0-5 but I don't want to confine myself to a nursery so I am doing the PGCE to keep my options open. However, doing all these summer tasks is making me really stressed because I'm not good at the maths, english or science work and teaching year 1 and 2 does not appeal to me at all. Plus all the reviews I've read about the PGCE is worrying me as I feel like I'm going into the worst year of my life! I've already done 120 days of placement for my EYITT and I didn't particularly enjoy being a student and not getting treated as staff, feeling like a nuisance, etc. I'm dreading this Monday to be honest and just feel like this isn't the right decision for me at all.
Original post by Madison Paige
Hello! I'm starting my Primary 3-7 PGCE on Monday and I'm currently terrified. I have just completed the EYITT course meaning I am an Early Years Teacher and feel like I am about to go through the same horrible experience all over again. My passion is working with ages 0-5 but I don't want to confine myself to a nursery so I am doing the PGCE to keep my options open. However, doing all these summer tasks is making me really stressed because I'm not good at the maths, english or science work and teaching year 1 and 2 does not appeal to me at all. Plus all the reviews I've read about the PGCE is worrying me as I feel like I'm going into the worst year of my life! I've already done 120 days of placement for my EYITT and I didn't particularly enjoy being a student and not getting treated as staff, feeling like a nuisance, etc. I'm dreading this Monday to be honest and just feel like this isn't the right decision for me at all.

I'm guessing you have passed the literacy and numeracy tests- so you can't be that bad at English and Maths. I think the science you do in KS1 is mostly based around looking and observing and the getting the concept that they can find out things about the world around them. Things like naming animals, learning about the seasons and which body part goes with which sense come under the heading of science!

I can understand being nervous to start again! Hopefully, though, you will have a good experience this year and get something out of it!

We're all here if you want to chat or want some help and advice :h:
Original post by EierVonSatan
You're worrying too much, pupils are generally much weaker in knowledge than you might expect. Subject knowledge is much more about how to explain it simply rather than you being an expert in the field. You will pick up that knowledge as you 'train'.

Thank you!
Hi - I'm Dreamcast2025 - I am just about to start on a Schools Direct Secondary School PGCE / QTS programme with Nottingham Trent.

I'm going to be teaching Computer Science.

Looking forward to it - I have spent nearly 30 years in industry, so this is going to be a total lifestyle change as well as a fab new challenge.

Start on Tuesday at the school and trying to work out how this is going to pan out!
Hi gang! I'm starting secondary mathematics PGCE at Manchester Metropolitan University on Thursday. I was due to start last year but was pregnant with my, now 9 months old, son, so I deferred.

My heart is breaking to leave him whilst at the same time I am so excited to start uni! I got my mathematics degree through the Open University so this will be my first experience in a physical university.

I am keen to find out about placements etc as it is making childcare arrangements a little tricky until I know where I am going to be so hopefully we will learn more about that by the end of the week.

Yay students!! 😊😊😊
Original post by Dreamcast2025
Hi - I'm Dreamcast2025 - I am just about to start on a Schools Direct Secondary School PGCE / QTS programme with Nottingham Trent.

I'm going to be teaching Computer Science.

Looking forward to it - I have spent nearly 30 years in industry, so this is going to be a total lifestyle change as well as a fab new challenge.

Start on Tuesday at the school and trying to work out how this is going to pan out!

Welcome to the thread! Sounds like it is going to be a big change for you- but definitely a great new challenge. Good luck for tomorrow!

Original post by SamanthaJane5
Hi gang! I'm starting secondary mathematics PGCE at Manchester Metropolitan University on Thursday. I was due to start last year but was pregnant with my, now 9 months old, son, so I deferred.

My heart is breaking to leave him whilst at the same time I am so excited to start uni! I got my mathematics degree through the Open University so this will be my first experience in a physical university.

I am keen to find out about placements etc as it is making childcare arrangements a little tricky until I know where I am going to be so hopefully we will learn more about that by the end of the week.

Yay students!! 😊😊😊

Welcome to the thread! The open university is great, but hopefully you will have a really good experience with a physical university as well.

You're very brave doing this with a young child, so I hope your uni make things as easy as possible for you :smile:
Welcome to the thread! The open university is great, but hopefully you will have a really good experience with a physical university as well.

You're very brave doing this with a young child, so I hope your uni make things as easy as possible for you :smile:

Thank you. It took me 6 years to get my BSc! I can't afford to not work sadly so it was either continue with my original teacher training plan, or get a job. As it happens, the scholarship for mathematics is higher than I was earning in my job so it has enabled me to pursue my dream job. I am 31 years old and have worked in a secondary school in a variety of roles (most recently as a senior IT technician) for the best part of 14 years. So yes, super excited to make the transition from support to teaching staff.

Does anyone have any advice? Any at all? 😁😁
Original post by SamanthaJane5
Thank you. It took me 6 years to get my BSc! I can't afford to not work sadly so it was either continue with my original teacher training plan, or get a job. As it happens, the scholarship for mathematics is higher than I was earning in my job so it has enabled me to pursue my dream job. I am 31 years old and have worked in a secondary school in a variety of roles (most recently as a senior IT technician) for the best part of 14 years. So yes, super excited to make the transition from support to teaching staff.

Does anyone have any advice? Any at all? 😁😁

The scholarships/bursaries are great for helping people change careers, aren't they?

It sounds like you have lots of experience working in schools which I'm sure will help.

Don't forget you're doing the PGCE to learn- they don't expect you to be a perfect teacher yet! I think- go in with an open mind and try to take all the advice on board. Also, for maths, I guess having more than one way to explain different things is helpful.

I think you're going to do great :h:
Going back to my placement after a leave of absence and I'm absolutely bricking it. Really nervous about going back after my breakdown
Original post by super_kawaii
Going back to my placement after a leave of absence and I'm absolutely bricking it. Really nervous about going back after my breakdown

You've got this! We're all rooting for you :h:
Thanks for the tag! Haven't been on TSR in a while. Just been trying to enjoy my summer :smile: I was feeling so worn out just from the whole application process / skills tests / work experience. So the initial excitement has died down a bit for me but I'm hoping that will change once I start. Anyone else feeling tired already? :P

Anyway I start this week at IoE/UCL for PGCE Biology. Good luck everyone!
Original post by Petulia
Thanks for the tag! Haven't been on TSR in a while. Just been trying to enjoy my summer :smile: I was feeling so worn out just from the whole application process / skills tests / work experience. So the initial excitement has died down a bit for me but I'm hoping that will change once I start. Anyone else feeling tired already? :P

Anyway I start this week at IoE/UCL for PGCE Biology. Good luck everyone!

Hey, welcome back!

I agree having some downtime after applying is a really good idea! I did lots of traveling this summer.

I moved into my new flat today, so I do feel a bit tired but I think that's just from moving :tongue:

Good luck for next week!
Reply 99
Thanks for the tag! I start at UoB on Monday doing secondary biology and until this point have been super excited however the nerves are now kicking in.

I've been super busy finishing my job and skipping out of the NHS haha.. I've also been reading a couple of books if anyone is a bookworm like me- "The things i wish i knew before becoming a teacher" and "When the adults change everything changes". The latter is a book about behaviour management (admittedly the aspect that im most nervous about as i have a super chilled personality :redface:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending