The Student Room Group

declaring cancelled policy

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Finisfin222
You can check your details on mib. You have data protection act rights and can ask them to give you your details and can ask them to remove info. Insurance companies are not allowed to share info with other companies directly and only put your details on mib. So if you check your mib data and it shows no cancellations you will not have to claim it but can always explain to new insurers it has been just to be safe

I'm afraid the basis of your reply is pretty inaccurate; you cannot ask the MIB to remove your data. Moreover, this thread is from April!
James do they register by any chance if you were to have had a policy cancelled due to one speeding warning on a black box insurance? More than have told me I do not need to declare it.
Reply 22
Original post by willryanwalker
James do they register by any chance if you were to have had a policy cancelled due to one speeding warning on a black box insurance? More than have told me I do not need to declare it.

You should speak to them again and get that in writing; if you have a cancelled policy on your record, you'll need to declare it, regardless of the reason.
If I was to cancel the policy before the seven days were up would it then get rid of the cancelled policy thing?
Reply 24
If I was to cancel the policy before the seven days were up would it then get rid of the cancelled policy thing?

Supposedly yes but I've heard conflicting information.
Original post by rnv
I have a question in regards to declaring cancelled policy.

About a year ago I had my policy cancelled due to no payment. I was abroad at the time and wasn't even aware that it happened as they didn't even notify me (totally my fault anyway).

I am now insured again, when I spoke to my insurer they said that 'its not a massive issue'. However when filling out all the details for new insurance, it asks whether you had insurance cancelled/declined etc, in the past 5 years I believe?

My question is, is there any way for the insurers to check this? as it didn't show up for my recent insurer's when they were checking.. is there any way I can check myself?

Whether or not it was your fault, you still need to declare it. I'd suggest you explain the situation *fully* to the insurer. But regardless of insurer, they will cross-reference the information you provide. It can be insurance fraud if you don't declare everything, and your insurance is invalidated automatically if the information is not correct and up to date.

I know it's a pain, but it's not as much as a pain as it'll be if you *don't* declare it and get caught...
Original post by IWMTom
Supposedly yes but I've heard conflicting information.

I've looked into it over the past couple of days and found that I can cancel it myself before the seven days are up, this Is was the operator was telling me, I also receive part of my premium back as I paid annually meaning that the £85 charge for box removal is covered and my first month payment for my new insurer is sorted, thanks for all your help, I am cancelling tomorrow afternoon!
Reply 27
I've looked into it over the past couple of days and found that I can cancel it myself before the seven days are up, this Is was the operator was telling me, I also receive part of my premium back as I paid annually meaning that the £85 charge for box removal is covered and my first month payment for my new insurer is sorted, thanks for all your help, I am cancelling tomorrow afternoon!

Make sure you get it in writing that a cancellation hasn't been recorded.
Original post by IWMTom
Make sure you get it in writing that a cancellation hasn't been recorded.

I have done, I got a transcript of the conversation and it says nowhere in my policy schedule that I don't have the right to cancel it before they do.
Reply 29
I have done, I got a transcript of the conversation and it says nowhere in my policy schedule that I don't have the right to cancel it before they do.

Of course, but be aware that insurers share information for various reasons, and you may find that any insurer within that group (or underwritten by the same people) will either refuse to quote or hike your premiums for the time being.
Original post by IWMTom
Of course, but be aware that insurers share information for various reasons, and you may find that any insurer within that group (or underwritten by the same people) will either refuse to quote or hike your premiums for the time being.

I am aware that the group I was with will not insure me
I am aware that the group I was with will not insure me

I can vouch for this, just a couple days ago had the same problem with morethan smart wheels, box was faulty but they decided not to look into it after months of complaining ended up saying i was speeding on a 40 and just doing a u turn to return back home. After a couple of conversations I decided to cancel my policy i got a letter also which shows I cancelled my policy due to my instruction and furthermore i also recorded the phone call. Sometimes this may work due to the customer service seeing that there was a problem with the box however the people who “track” the box only look into the reading in question. if anyone is thinking of cancelling the policy before they do it is a big risk however explain to your new insurers the situation and thst you have proof that it was cancelled on your Instruction.
Original post by Mosinwywyeye
I can vouch for this, just a couple days ago had the same problem with morethan smart wheels, box was faulty but they decided not to look into it after months of complaining ended up saying i was speeding on a 40 and just doing a u turn to return back home. After a couple of conversations I decided to cancel my policy i got a letter also which shows I cancelled my policy due to my instruction and furthermore i also recorded the phone call. Sometimes this may work due to the customer service seeing that there was a problem with the box however the people who “track” the box only look into the reading in question. if anyone is thinking of cancelling the policy before they do it is a big risk however explain to your new insurers the situation and thst you have proof that it was cancelled on your Instruction.

Moral of the story: Don't get a box!
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Moral of the story: Don't get a box!

Haha i agree but some people are in situations where you simply cant afford to pay a no box policy especially in my area. Having the box is not all bad i had one for a year and it was okay my score was pretty good thinfs were well however when the box actually started playing up nobody gives a hand in trying to fix it
What about if the policy is cancelled due to speeding with a black box fitted? Points were issued & a sp30 conviction.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ConfusedAgain1
What about if the policy is cancelled due to speeding with a black box fitted? Points were issued & a sp30 conviction.

Why bump a 2-year-old thread? You haven't even bothered to read what other people have posted either.

You declare all cancellations. The reason is neither here, nor there.
Original post by Blue_Cow
Why bump a 2-year-old thread? You haven't even bothered to read what other people have posted either.

How do you know I have not read the other posts?
And the thread is still active , so it normally suggests people can make replies....
It was a simple question.
THE POLICY WAS CANCELLED DUE TO A SPEEDING OFFENCE.
The question being , can the cancel a policy for speeding offence, many people get speeding convictions but dont have policies cancelled.
Seems a bit harsh to cancel for that reason :-)
And the thread is still active , so it normally suggests people can make replies....
The question being , can the cancel a policy for speeding offence, many people get speeding convictions but dont have policies cancelled.

Yes. Do you not read the terms of your insurance policy before signing? It's an incredibly important document and a bloody expensive policy.

Black box policies are regularly cancelled due to speeding. Just read the posts around here and you'll see.
Original post by Blue_Cow

Reply 39

It's not active - before you replied, it hadn't had a post in 5 months!

Yes, your policy can be cancelled.. obviously.

Quick Reply

Latest