The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Is 24 too old for masters

What is the average age of postgraduate students in University of Warwick? Is 24 considered old?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No matter the average age, 24 is certainly not too old. There's not even such a thing
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by nickimne
What is the average age of postgraduate students in University of Warwick? Is 24 considered old?

no idea for your particular course but i know quite a few people who got masters and phds in their mid-late 30s and some in their 40s
Jesus, I hope not - I'm starting an MSc this September at age 24 and it hadn't even occurred to me that I was too old for such a thing :P
no........ but 124 might be

Spoiler

Reply 5
Original post by YeFool
you know it isn't u ****in weirdo

**** off u rude creature
Reply 6
Original post by Volibear
Jesus Christ, university is open to anyone of any age. 24 years old is not 'too old' to do a masters. What age do you want to be? 21?

i heard that in uk many people graduate at the age of 21 and then start their masters degree in the same period
Reply 7
Original post by Johnathan94
Jesus, I hope not - I'm starting an MSc this September at age 24 and it hadn't even occurred to me that I was too old for such a thing :P

knowing some people who share the same situation with me is a little bit relieving
Reply 8
Original post by quasa
no idea for your particular course but i know quite a few people who got masters and phds in their mid-late 30s and some in their 40s

my course is cyber security engineering, i hope that i will be younger than average
i heard that in uk many people graduate at the age of 21 and then start their masters degree in the same period

Who cares?

I started my bachelors at 20, almost 21. I finsihed a masters just now and walked into a great job even though I needed sponsorship.

As long as you're good at what you do, and are a nice person, you'll have good opportunities, and have a great time, too.
Reply 10
Original post by elpistolero7
Who cares?

I started my bachelors at 20, almost 21. I finsihed a masters just now and walked into a great job even though I needed sponsorship.

As long as you're good at what you do, and are a nice person, you'll have good opportunities, and have a great time, too.

you gave me motivation thank you

it's definitely not too old for a masters...but why would you want to be pissing around with a masters in your mid twenties when you could be out gaining workplace experience that will actually give you useful skills unlike a masters?
my course is cyber security engineering, i hope that i will be younger than average

1 of my mates is a cyber security trainee at a top international electronic payment company (your choice of paypal, worldpay, mastercard or visa) and he got that at the ripe old age of 27 after spending multiple years working at a supermarket as a porter (trolley boy) without having completed a previous degree.

EDIT - from what I gather from people I know in the compsci / tech world, early -mid 20s is the age a lot of people enter (with candidates entering from late teens to late 20s being considered normal - but that is work...no idea about masters tbh).

At the end of the day however, you are never too old to learn and cyber security engineering sounds cool (if your using windows 10, you can download kali from the windows 10 app store (as well as ubuntu and other linux OS')) and best of luck with the degree
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by CollectiveSoul
it's definitely not too old for a masters...but why would you want to be pissing around with a masters in your mid twenties when you could be out gaining workplace experience that will actually give you useful skills unlike a masters?

actually I have some work experience but i believe that masters will add a quality to my background too

a lot of master engineering comp sci courses have 2 year options where the student spends 1 year working in industy
actually I have some work experience but i believe that masters will add a quality to my background too

bollox. best decision i ever made was to leave uni after my bachelors and now i'm slowly but surely rising through the ranks of my company. my mates who did masters are no better off and lost a year
My dad did his masters at 40 so no it’s not too old xxx
Reply 17
bollox. best decision i ever made was to leave uni after my bachelors and now i'm slowly but surely rising through the ranks of my company. my mates who did masters are no better off and lost a year

no ure bollox because i live in a different country and in order to be employed with high salary and to be in a better position you must have at least masters degree.(talking about top employers of course) but in uk, experience is more important i see, so you are right about uk.
no ure bollox because i live in a different country and in order to be employed with high salary and to be in a better position you must have at least masters degree.(talking about top employers of course) but in uk, experience is more important i see, so you are right about uk.

I have never heard of a specific country will increase pay scale based on your education level, unless it is required for your job. For example, if you are working in academic field, it is common that it will require a master degree(STEM field .etc). So it is your job, but not your country that pay you more because of a master degree.

Furthermore, the meaning for master degree is to strengthen and specialize a certain field. Most postgraduate students are actually mature students(21+), because it is your job experience and interest after you enter workplace to guide you what you need and what you are interested in. So 24 is actually common in unis, not sure about Warwick tho.
I seriously wonder if you should be applying for a masters with that sort of mindset.

Quick Reply

Latest