The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Everything's apparently sexist these days, next it will be teabags. This 'incident', like every other one of these 'incidents', is being completely overblown by the 'I'm offended by literally everything' brigade. She was obstructing another player so it was right to penalise her.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
I normally roll my eyes at constant outrage but it was silly to penalise her. She was wearing a sports bra and did the exact same thing a man would do. Just objectively sexist.
Original post by MJ1012
I normally roll my eyes at constant outrage but it was silly to penalise her. She was wearing a sports bra and did the exact same thing a man would do. Just objectively sexist.

I may be wrong here, but I think she was given the violation for doing it when she did it. Ie obstructing another player.
Ended up being fairly inconsequential. I get women have boobs so there might be slightly different standards when it comes to changing on the court, but she was wearing a modest bra, after all. The umpire was being a tad over zealous, I think. Sexist? Meeeh, maybe.

Personally, I'm happy for women to play completely topless. I'd actually watch tennis if that was the case.
Reply 5
Original post by Andrew97
I may be wrong here, but I think she was given the violation for doing it when she did it. Ie obstructing another player.

Ok. Not gonna lie, haven't read the whole thing. So essentially, she changed at a time deemed illegal (due to excess heat?) Whereas nadal changed at an accepted interval which is why he wasn't penalised?
In which case fair enough, although there could be a debate if conditions are fit to play in, but if the officials deemed they are then the rules stay the same.
Original post by MJ1012
Ok. Not gonna lie, haven't read the whole thing. So essentially, she changed at a time deemed illegal (due to excess heat?) Whereas nadal changed at an accepted interval which is why he wasn't penalised?
In which case fair enough, although there could be a debate if conditions are fit to play in, but if the officials deemed they are then the rules stay the same.

Thats what I think happened, I am a bit unsure. Being honest I would not have given any warning for it as long as she said to the other player can you wait 10 seconds.
I believe that the penalty was unnecessary not sexist, a Male taking his shirt off is clearly different to a Woman doing so, it is not sexist.
Reply 8
Original post by Oneiropólos
I believe that the penalty was unnecessary not sexist, a Male taking his shirt off is clearly different to a Woman doing so, it is not sexist.

Not really. Societal norm, topless man= woman in bikini (what she wore covers more than most bikinis anyway) she wasn't topless
Reply 9
OMG like why can't she just play with her t*ts out?? it's just her body we all have boddies I'm triggered ugggh!!!!
Storm in a tea cup.
US open have fudged it but admitted theyd rather the judge hadnt issued the warning. there really are more important issues
I'd be more surprised in the current climate if something got declared not sexist. It really has become the white noise of the university educated now to see problems everywhere in everything - we were obligated to take a lecture on 'sex and victimisation' which stated in following slides 'it's a myth a women can't rape a man' and 'in law, a woman cannot rape a man' and declared that the 'overwhelming number of domestic abuse victims were female (the stat according to actual studies being 52/48 split)". Point being no matter what the problem, someone will find a way to blame it on their characteristics to appear a victim, even if it means lying or contradicting themselves. Thus following the actual rules of the game is sexist because reasons. It's a dumb rule. But so is the loitering law and public order laws but they have to be followed. I think the no slide tackles in 5 a side football rule is stupid - but I don't turn up, slide tackle anyway then argue they are discriminating against me by not letting me slide tackle because I'm (insert arbitrary characteristic here).
Reply 12
I think my bookcase is a sexist.
Original post by username2911200
Everything's apparently sexist these days, next it will be teabags. This 'incident', like every other one of these 'incidents', is being completely overblown by the 'I'm offended by literally everything' brigade. She was obstructing another player so it was right to penalise her.

Changing on court and showing her bra is "obstructing another player"?
Original post by yudothis
Changing on court and showing her bra is "obstructing another player"?

It’s certainly obstructing the match.
It was sexist of the umpire to give her a warning. However, it is also sexist of the US Open to only provide women with the right to change their top in a private place without it being counted as a toilet break.
Reply 16
Original post by ThomH97
It was sexist of the umpire to give her a warning. However, it is also sexist of the US Open to only provide women with the right to change their top in a private place without it being counted as a toilet break.

Interesting framing. Women were provided with the right to do anything, let's be honest, they were obligated. You really think they would allow Serena to disrobe on the court after the meltdown they had about her catsuit which covered her from head to toe? Please
Original post by Truths
Interesting framing. Women were provided with the right to do anything, let's be honest, they were obligated. You really think they would allow Serena to disrobe on the court after the meltdown they had about her catsuit which covered her from head to toe? Please

Rules permit women to change in private, but not men. Sexist rules by the US Open.

Umpire permits men to change on court, but not women. Sexist judgement by the umpire.

Which of those do you disagree with?

Everything is sexist :biggrin:

A shame. The narrative of new mother Serena 'mother' Williams (who is also a mother), winning the US Open is such a victory for all mothers and women worldwide has been destroyed. Also she had a baby and went back to work btw (and is a mother!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending