The Student Room Group

The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2019!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by J-SP
So they identified themselves? Were they a trainee or a future trainee?

They did indeed, future trainee. Kept in contact with them. So it was good in terms of networking as well.
Original post by J-SP
You paid £40 for a future trainee to review your application form?

😂

Seriously, just because they were successful in their application, doesn’t mean they could be successful with someone else’s.

But guess some people have more money than sense.

If their firm found out they could probably be in a bit of trouble. Guess that’s why no one is out in public as being part of this organisation.

More money than sense? Who are you to judge. It got me the TC right so keep your unwanted remarks to yourself, you rude person. In fact, you don’t even need to know what I paid for since you’re not even an applicant nor have any motive to apply as you said above. App review was one of things I got, there were mock interviews and face to face seminars too from qualified solicitors. At first I thought I’d share my positive experience with you since you seemed interested, now I realise you just wanted to pass commentary and make ignorant remarks. I will not be responding again.
Original post by ManchesterApp
Why are you so hung up on this. In the post you actually referred to, I merely mentioned the getinlaw.com site as a reference to give credibility to my Kennedys advice and to show where I got the Kennedys trainee contact from. I was also showing I would share some of the advice I paid for, for free, with another TSR member (which I did).

I did not encourage any paid service, the website also offers free services which I have also used and I recommended True Picture which is also free so stop trying to manipulate what I have said. 419? Well with the referral I gave I managed to get that package for 380 and that's application review for the entire year with detailed assessment centre insights, mock interviews and other prep. But let's end the conversation about this getinlaw.com site here. Each to their own. Good luck to you and your apps

haha loads of free services are good, legal500, lex100, truepicture, legalcheek, getinlaw.com (free part).

Did you actually pay £380?
No doubt this question had been asked. But can’t find a sound answer. Is there any way to get good at the online tests?? Is it just a matter of practising?

Seems like a fair few firms will only read applications if you pass the test. Understand/appreciate they need a filter but it’s a shame given hard work and effort on apps.

But any advice/methods to pass the test?
Thanks
Original post by lawdreams
No doubt this question had been asked. But can’t find a sound answer. Is there any way to get good at the online tests?? Is it just a matter of practising?

Seems like a fair few firms will only read applications if you pass the test. Understand/appreciate they need a filter but it’s a shame given hard work and effort on apps.

But any advice/methods to pass the test?
Thanks

Try and practice online using different resources: SHL, Pearson, Swift, are all free online tests that will hopefully develop your skills. In terms tips, just remember for verbal reasoning, for true: it means the statement is mentioned in the passage or is logically inferred (virtual certainty), false: goes directly against the passage or logically through inference goes against the passage (virtual certainty) and for cannot tell: you cannot for certain - directly or otherwise - say whether the statement goes against or agrees with the passage.
Just applied to PwC's vacation scheme. Failed the video SJT the second I completed it - didn't even know that was possible as I have never failed a SJT! Do they usually give out a detailed report of your personality after?
Hi @JSP, I have read the past threads for Vacation Schemes and really know you're stuff! I wanted to ask some specific questions:

1. I have recently completed a vacation scheme last cycle, but did not convert. However, regarding my new applications, do you think it is necessary to change my cover letter to emphasise I've done a scheme?

I have worked at an African commercial law firm and gained transferable skills from an finance work experience. I genuinely found more motivation from these experiences rather than the purely the vacation scheme. However, I would appreciate your opinion on this.

2. I am in the process of applying for law firms that I have not visited but I'm considering attending open days/ presentations before applying. However, I understand applying as soon as possible is important. Do you think meeting the firms, but a later application as a consequence, useful leverage with regards to improving application prospects?

P.S. I am intending to apply to Jones Day, Shearman & Sterling and Simmons & Simmons so far.
Hey guys - I have a question about one of the questions they ask during application forms:
"Please give a brief summary of any prizes, scholarships, positions of responsibility and any other noteworthy achievements"
Do you answer it in bullet points? Or just one sentence per 'achievement"? Or prose?

Some firms have longer space (i.e. 300 words) so that's where I've written a few sentences per achievement. But what about the ones that give you 150 words or even worse just 100?
Are there any firms which will actually read applications and not use a filter or automatic test cut off??
And what are the views on replying to firms where you’ve previously applied a couple of times already??
Does anyone know if bclp automatically filters out applications using the verbal reasoning test??
Does anyone know if bclp automatically filters out applications using the verbal reasoning test??

They do not have a 'set' cut-off point for the verbal reasoning score, they combine the verbal reasoning with the application form and then make a decision based on both (I made it to final partner interview - last cycle).
Original post by ManchesterApp
They do not have a 'set' cut-off point for the verbal reasoning score, they combine the verbal reasoning with the application form and then make a decision based on both (I made it to final partner interview - last cycle).

Thanks. Will you apply again? I didn’t apply last cycle but noticed they’ve significantly changed their application.
Has anyone heard back from any law firm?
Thanks. Will you apply again? I didn’t apply last cycle but noticed they’ve significantly changed their application.

I will be indeed, even though I made it to partner interview last cycle, I was unable to attend (severe flu) - and they couldn't rearrange it - so that was unlucky to be honest. PM me for more details though.
Is there any way to tell how strict a firm will be on grade requirements? In particular A level. And especially if you’ve got a lot of further academics; going, lpc and work exp.
Is anyone applying to DLA piper??
They don’t seem to have a TC you can apply for in London. BUT, the VS is running in London.
Does that just mean all London TCs offered to VS-er and you’re indirectly being directed towards a London VS.
Is anyone applying to DLA piper??
They don’t seem to have a TC you can apply for in London. BUT, the VS is running in London.
Does that just mean all London TCs offered to VS-er and you’re indirectly being directed towards a London VS.

I think they don't accept direct TC apps for Lonndon.
I'm applying to DLA - wanna partner up?
Ooooh didn't realise the new thread was up!

I was unsuccessful last cycle, time to try again :smile:

I have a much better idea of the type of firms I want to apply to this time around.

I'm also going to apply mainly to summer vac schemes and perhaps consider a few direct apps. I recently started a new job so I won't be able to have the time off to do winter vac schemes. At this point I'm mostly trying to pull some research together for firms I'm interested in and finding time to do apps outside of work! I'm also thinking about how I'm going to attend open days and keep time aside if I do secure a VS this year..

On the whole, I think my applications will be significantly stronger this year as I've done a few things since the last time I applied.

Any tips on how to get apps done and attend events around a full time job would be much appreciated.

Good luck everyone!
Original post by AelaNox
Ooooh didn't realise the new thread was up!

I was unsuccessful last cycle, time to try again :smile:

I have a much better idea of the type of firms I want to apply to this time around.

I'm also going to apply mainly to summer vac schemes and perhaps consider a few direct apps. I recently started a new job so I won't be able to have the time off to do winter vac schemes. At this point I'm mostly trying to pull some research together for firms I'm interested in and finding time to do apps outside of work! I'm also thinking about how I'm going to attend open days and keep time aside if I do secure a VS this year..

On the whole, I think my applications will be significantly stronger this year as I've done a few things since the last time I applied.

Any tips on how to get apps done and attend events around a full time job would be much appreciated.

Good luck everyone!

Just some personal views/comments....

Not sure what your job is, but, you’ll need to be organised and disciplined to complete apps.
Normally I’d say quality and quantity are not mutually exclusive. But perhaps concentrate on a fewer number of firms/apps and make sure they of very very high quality.
In terms of events/open days, focus on firms which do open evenings as opposed to open days. Not sure where your job is based but if in London/the city that’s a positive. I think NRF were one which did open evenings last year. If you notice firms are holding open evenings targeting particular unis or groups, email, explain your situation and ask if you can still attend. Some firms will be accommodating. Others not so much. And if that’s the case, would you really want to work for that sort of firm.
Re time off for a VS, I’d suggest taking it step by step. Cross that bridge when you get there. First step is getting through assessment which is a big hurdle in itself. There are options, different scheme dates, annual leave, worst case scenario unpaid leave or having an open discussion with the prospective firm.
Re applications. Try and focus on firms which relate to your job. That way it will be an even bigger advantage than hindrance.
Accepted wisdom is that copy and pasting will not get you anywhere. Which is true. However, have a strong bank of core answers drafted well, which many firms will ask. Why Law. Etc. That will help cut down time.

I do sympathise. Good luck in deed.

Quick Reply

Latest