The Student Room Group

2019 Edexcel IGCSE road to 888888 or above!

After the end of the 2017-18 academic year which is next month, I will begin my road to at least 888888 in 2019 Edexcel IGCSE!
Here are my subjects:
Chinese (super easy, normal thought for HK students)
English as a second language
Maths A
Physics
Chemistry
Further Pure Maths
And I will be taking my exam in May/June 2019 in HK.
From July I will start posting my progress on this thread, and welcome to follow me!

Scroll to see replies

Good luck:thumbsup:
Are you fluent in chinese? (I’ve done it for gcse and it’d be so cool to speak it properly:gah:)
Reply 2
Original post by Toastiekid
Good luck:thumbsup:
Are you fluent in chinese? (I’ve done it for gcse and it’d be so cool to speak it properly:gah:)

Yes I am. I have just received my mark for a Chinese test in the HK local curriculum, and I scored 56%. It was much harder than the actual IGCSE paper taken next year.
Reply 3
27/6/2018
I did the school's minimum requirement on the eTap summer holiday homework, which are 30% of a grade in language arts (I did grade 9), 30% of a grade in maths (I did grade 8) and 10% of a grade in either science or social studies (I did grade 8). As the language arts units are too difficult for an Eng 2nd language taker, I decided to stop on them, but I will continue on Maths and science until I have finished all the units relevant to the IGCSE curriculum. A great step 1 to my road!
Reply 4
28-29/6/2018
I have completed 50% of grade 8 maths and 38% of grade 8 science on the eTap program. I am expected to start Grade 9 Maths in 4-5 days and grade 11 chemistry (only grade 11 has chem) in 6-7 days.
I have also received some of my results from my June exams. I scored 65/80 in maths, 44/50 in physics (top student), 58.5/75 in Chinese history, 92/110, 15/21 and 60/68 in the three English papers, as well as 16/24 in liberal studies and 48/57 in English literature.
I hope to keep on with my current marks in English, maths and physics. With such marks I can already get grades 8-9 in the three subjects.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
30/6 and 1/7/2018
I have completed maths grade 8 in the program at 97% overall in the evening of 29/6, and will begin grade 9 maths in 3-4 days.
In these two days (30/6 and 1/7) I went back to Mainland China to visit some of my relatives, nothing done.
Reply 6
3/7/2018
The remaining results are back. I only scored 56% overall in Chinese (HK curriculum) which is 10 times harder than the IGCSE. I think that despite this 56% I can score a grade 8-9 in IGCSE Chinese.
Now going to start grade 9 maths eTap...
(edited 5 years ago)
science- CGP guides are a lifesaver, helped me to get 3 A stars in science, however must do loads of past papers too, the same questions always appear e.g carbon monoxide in chem, fish farm in bio, magnets in physics. these will help you get familiar with the mark scheme and understand how weird some of the answers are.Maths - i got a 9 and past papers were really important, as well as seeking teaching help for topics you don't understandTry and do around 30 past papers for each science and depending how good you are at maths, more or less
Original post by 8013
After the end of the 2017-18 academic year which is next month, I will begin my road to at least 888888 in 2019 Edexcel IGCSE!
Here are my subjects:
Chinese (super easy, normal thought for HK students)
English as a second language
Maths A
Physics
Chemistry
Further Pure Maths
And I will be taking my exam in May/June 2019 in HK.
From July I will start posting my progress on this thread, and welcome to follow me!

science- CGP guides are a lifesaver, helped me to get 3 A stars in science, however must do loads of past papers too, the same questions always appear e.g carbon monoxide in chem, fish farm in bio, magnets in physics. these will help you get familiar with the mark scheme and understand how weird some of the answers are. Maths - i got a 9 and past papers were really important, as well as seeking teaching help for topics you don't understand Try and do around 30 past papers for each science and depending how good you are at maths, more or less
Reply 9
4/9-5/9/2018
I kicked off to learn the IGCSE curriculum in 25 weeks at my school with 11 other students!
My latest progress will be updated 5 times a week.
Maths: Went through Number 1 and Algebra 1 in class today.
Further Pure Maths: Went through Indices and Rationalization from Chapter 1.
Chemistry: Went through chapter 1.1- Particles and Solibility.
Chinese: Did 1 question of each type on the first topic, all from past reading papers. I found them quite easy (as the norm for a Chinese student in HK), so I am on shot for that 8, or even 9.
Reply 10
6/9/2018
I had a very productive day both at school and after school! Here is my progress for the day:
Maths: Went through Graphs 1 in class.
Further Pure Maths: Completed Surds and Rationalization.
English: Tried 3 reading questions from each part of the 2017 specimen paper.
Chemistry: Went through chapter 1.2-Particles in motion and 1.3-Atoms and molecules. I went through 1.4, 1.7 and 1.12 by myself after school. In addition to 1.5, 1.6, 1.8 to 1.11, 1.14 and 1.17 which I went through during the classes of my exchange program in Australia, I have already completed Principles of Chemistry 1! 😂😂👏
Physics: Went through chapter 1.1- How fast do things move? I also completed chapters 1.2-1.7 after school by myself.
Reply 11
Excuse me, can anyone help me move this thread to 'Grow your Grades 2018-19'?
Original post by 8013
Excuse me, can anyone help me move this thread to 'Grow your Grades 2018-19'?

Moved for you, can't wait to see more of your journey! :smile:
Reply 13
7/9/2018
Another productive day at school. Here is my progress:
Chemistry: Went through chapter 1.4- Seperating materials at school. Will go through chapters 1.13 and 1.15-1.19 over the weekend.
Maths: Continued on Graphs 1. I had a tutorial after school today, and worked on Functions.
English: Tried some questions from a listening paper.
Physics: Went through chapter 1.2- Acceleration at school. Will go through chapters 1.8-1.10 and 2.1-2.2 as well as finish all of the multiple choice questions from the Section 1 exercises (Exam-style questions) over the weekend.
Further Pure Maths: Just started on log x and e^x.
Reply 14
10/9-12/9/2018
Chemistry: I have already completed Principles of Chemistry 1 in class. I am now onto chapter 1.19 in my self study. I have received my first piece of HW back. I reviewed it and checked the suggested answers as I dropped 3 pts in the question, and I know how to get what the markers expect and be on course for that grade 8.
Physics: Just finished Velocity and Acceleration, and I will have a test on 19/9! I am now onto chapter 1.10 for my self study.
Maths: Already completed Shape and Space 1 and started on Sets.
Further Pure Maths: Worked more on log x.
English: Tried some speaking and reading part 1 questions.
Chinese: Tried writing questions 6 and 7.
Reply 15
16/9-17/9/2018
Thank you so much, Super Typhoon Mangkhut! You made my Further Pure Maths textbook wet!
In spite of that, I was still productive during this 2 days while I completed all of the homework regardless of due date. I also studied hard for the Physics test which will come as soon as classes resume on Wednesday after the 2-day storm break in HK (classes were suspended for 2 days due to the widespread damage caused to most schools in HK by the typhoon), and continued to stay ahead of the class by finishing Physics Chapter 1 (Force and motion) in my self study (Just started chapter 2) and went further in Chemistry!
👏👏👏(A round of applause for a productive storm holiday!)
Reply 16
18/9-25/9/2018
There is only 1 word to describe all the content in my lessons now: BORING
It is because I have already covered the content at home. In spite of that I still used it as a quick review and had another review of the classes at home, and even wrote some formulas on my room's wall and my wardrobe!
I have already made it to chapter 2.3 in Physics (my class has made it to 1.6 only) and 1.22 in Chemistry (my class is on 1.17), but I will go even further today. Combined with my Maths progress from the tutorial classes, I am already a whopping 46 chapters ahead of the class at this stage in all subjects combined, and I am huge favourites to top the class in the real thing (I got a 5/7 odd now)
I hope not to study till 1:00 am again for my Physics test tomorrow! And I believe that if I got 100%, my team-Liverpool will beat Chelsea 5-0!
Reply 17
27/9/2018
The Physics test was very difficult that the passing rate was only 5/14. But I scored 10/19, a scraped pass! I got too many points dropped due to careless mistakes, should have gotten 15 or something.
I had another 2 tests coming up next week!
Reply 18
3/10/2018
I completed my Chemistry and Further Pure Maths tests in the recent 2 days. I found the Chem test quite easy (as I prepared for literally the whole Sunday afternoon) and predicted a score in the 8-9 range for me. I forgot base change in the latter test, as well as natural log, so I think I will get something in the 6-7 range.
I have 3 more tests soon!
Original post by 8013
3/10/2018
I completed my Chemistry and Further Pure Maths tests in the recent 2 days. I found the Chem test quite easy (as I prepared for literally the whole Sunday afternoon) and predicted a score in the 8-9 range for me. I forgot base change in the latter test, as well as natural log, so I think I will get something in the 6-7 range.
I have 3 more tests soon!

Good luck for the tests!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending