The Student Room Group

Advice for an A* at a level history

Hi Guys!
I’m doing AQA a level history and am doing 1C (The Tudors, England 1485-1603) and 2O (democracy and nazism, Germany 1918-1945). Pls give tips on getting an A* plsssssssssss! Would highly appreciate it :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Crazy26
Hi Guys!
I’m doing AQA a level history and am doing 1C (The Tudors, England 1485-1603) and 2O (democracy and nazism, Germany 1918-1945). Pls give tips on getting an A* plsssssssssss! Would highly appreciate it :smile:
I didn't do AQA but I can tell you that it's really great if you SMASH the coursework element.:smile:

My other advice would be that revision is personal to you. Do what works and stop doing what isn't working. You'll be fine, good luck.:heart:

@EstelOfTheEyrie may be able to help more.:smile: - were you AQA Estel?:hmmmm:
Reply 2
Original post by 04MR17
I didn't do AQA but I can tell you that it's really great if you SMASH the coursework element.:smile:

My other advice would be that revision is personal to you. Do what works and stop doing what isn't working. You'll be fine, good luck.:heart:

@EstelOfTheEyrie may be able to help more.:smile: - were you AQA Estel?:hmmmm:

Thanks so much! Coursework is only 20% tho :frown:
Original post by Crazy26
Precisely, so make it count.
20% is a lot. It can easily carry you over the A* boundary.

I did edexcel, not AQA, but I got over 95% on two of my papers, and then messed up the third paper and got 67%. I only got an A* overall because my coursework (98%) brought my marks up just above the A* boundary.
Original post by Crazy26
Reply 5
Original post by LeapingLucy
20% is a lot. It can easily carry you over the A* boundary.

I did edexcel, not AQA, but I got over 95% on two of my papers, and then messed up the third paper and got 67%. I only got an A* overall because my coursework (98%) brought my marks up just above the A* boundary.

Oh that’s good! Btw what topic was your coursework on? Mines Russia :smile:
Original post by Crazy26
Oh that’s good! Btw what topic was your coursework on? Mines Russia :smile:

The Cold War
Reply 7
Original post by LeapingLucy
The Cold War

Do you have any general tips on how to get an A*? :smile:
create revision material, practice essay writing so that it begins to come naturally to you (including a guide how to structure and answer the question inc.timings,tips and what to include). Make a timeline of events so you know when everything happened especially helpful when it asks about a specific time period, also make a4 sided notes about each period or maybe Tudor kings and make various ones so for example (I do a-level Tudor history also) so Henry VIII's foreign policy and do the same for Henry VII and the others, however do it on different elements so religion during the time of Henry VII for example, doing this with headers of change, continuity and key points. Also use your textbook to make notes(written in your own words and with selected information) so about 4-7 pages for each chapter, as it means you have read in depth and are much more likely to remember it. When doing this make sure you are neat and also use colours as if you use the same colour it all looks the same and is harder to read. These techniques helped me a lot and I got an A at AS History, when my target grade was a C.
Original post by Wonderwall94
create revision material, practice essay writing so that it begins to come naturally to you (including a guide how to structure and answer the question inc.timings,tips and what to include). Make a timeline of events so you know when everything happened especially helpful when it asks about a specific time period, also make a4 sided notes about each period or maybe Tudor kings and make various ones so for example (I do a-level Tudor history also) so Henry VIII's foreign policy and do the same for Henry VII and the others, however do it on different elements so religion during the time of Henry VII for example, doing this with headers of change, continuity and key points. Also use your textbook to make notes(written in your own words and with selected information) so about 4-7 pages for each chapter, as it means you have read in depth and are much more likely to remember it. When doing this make sure you are neat and also use colours as if you use the same colour it all looks the same and is harder to read. These techniques helped me a lot and I got an A at AS History, when my target grade was a C.

also (dependent on exam board) theres a good book which has recently been released which is available on Amazon for about 9.99, called "How to get an A in A-Level History", I haven't used it too much but it looks good, and is really detailed in essay answering, so I would recommend to check that out, but make its relevant to you first
also (dependent on exam board) theres a good book which has recently been released which is available on Amazon for about 9.99, called "How to get an A in A-Level History", I haven't used it too much but it looks good, and is really detailed in essay answering, so I would recommend to check that out, but make its relevant to you first

another thing, if you do do this then I would recommend putting it all in something called a presentation folder which has plastic folders things and that way it stays neat and is really easy to look at, helps me more than a ring binder or lever arch
Reply 11
another thing, if you do do this then I would recommend putting it all in something called a presentation folder which has plastic folders things and that way it stays neat and is really easy to look at, helps me more than a ring binder or lever arch

Thank you so much!! 💞💞What exam board are you doing btw?
Original post by Crazy26
Thank you so much!! 💞💞What exam board are you doing btw?

AQA im doing tudors and the American dream
Reply 13
AQA im doing tudors and the American dream

I’m doing aqa too! Tudors and Germany😅what’s your CA topic? Mines Russia
Original post by Crazy26
I’m doing aqa too! Tudors and Germany😅what’s your CA topic? Mines Russia

Im doing Italian Unification and Mussolini's facism (1848-1948)
Reply 15
Im doing Italian Unification and Mussolini's facism (1848-1948)

Oooh sounds interesting! The CA is so stressful 😩 if you don’t mind me asking, what are your other subjects?
Original post by Crazy26
Oooh sounds interesting! The CA is so stressful 😩 if you don’t mind me asking, what are your other subjects?

I do politics and sociology. Are you in year 13? My coursework is pretty interesting and im probably about 40% into writing it, I did Russia for my GCSE coursework and I found it pretty dry so I know what you mean
Reply 17
I do politics and sociology. Are you in year 13? My coursework is pretty interesting and im probably about 40% into writing it, I did Russia for my GCSE coursework and I found it pretty dry so I know what you mean

Yup I’m in year 13, omg must be so stressful for you as you have all essay subjects 😅
Original post by Crazy26
Yup I’m in year 13, omg must be so stressful for you as you have all essay subjects 😅

and an EPQ! I've literally only started writing the other day, so im a bit less worried about the deadline (partly thanks to working from 1pm to about midnight for the last week doing summer homework, epq research, university research/personal statement and history coursework)
Reply 19
and an EPQ! I've literally only started writing the other day, so im a bit less worried about the deadline (partly thanks to working from 1pm to about midnight for the last week doing summer homework, epq research, university research/personal statement and history coursework)

I’m doing an epq too! That’s good you got stuff done during summer but I had my ukcat and personal statement to do so couldn’t really do school work over summer 😩

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending