The Student Room Group

Is Computer Science in St Andrews well respected?

Hello,
I am a student from the EU and I'm looking forward to studying in the UK and have narrowed down my search to a few universities, one of which is St Andrews. By far location and ambient wise it seems to be the best for me at least, however, I'm interested in studying in the UK because the universities in my country are not as good in computer science, because ambient wise staying at home with my friends would probably beat every other university. So I turned to the rankings and depending on the ranking St Andrews can be in the top of the food chain or not even be part of it, for example:

Top Universities: 27 UK (251-300 World)
https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2018/computer-science-information-systems

Times Higher Education: 30 UK (201-250 World)
https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2018/subject-ranking/computer-science#!/page/1/length/25/locations/GB/sort_by/rank/sort_order/asc/cols/stats

on the other side:

The Complete University Guide: 4 UK
https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=computer%20science

The Guardian: 1 UK
https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2018/may/29/university-league-tables-2019

I am aware this happens because different rankings use different ranking systems, but ambient wise I don't look at rankings I look at students "reviews", so speaking career wise only, where do you think St Andrews places.

Thanks in advance for your time.
Original post by Jafonso
Hello,
I am a student from the EU and I'm looking forward to studying in the UK and have narrowed down my search to a few universities, one of which is St Andrews. By far location and ambient wise it seems to be the best for me at least, however, I'm interested in studying in the UK because the universities in my country are not as good in computer science, because ambient wise staying at home with my friends would probably beat every other university. So I turned to the rankings and depending on the ranking St Andrews can be in the top of the food chain or not even be part of it, for example:

Top Universities: 27 UK (251-300 World)
https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2018/computer-science-information-systems

Times Higher Education: 30 UK (201-250 World)
https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2018/subject-ranking/computer-science#!/page/1/length/25/locations/GB/sort_by/rank/sort_order/asc/cols/stats

on the other side:

The Complete University Guide: 4 UK
https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=computer%20science

The Guardian: 1 UK
https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2018/may/29/university-league-tables-2019

I am aware this happens because different rankings use different ranking systems, but ambient wise I don't look at rankings I look at students "reviews", so speaking career wise only, where do you think St Andrews places.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Seeing as you're only considering career-wise, it does pretty well for salary:

It is one of the best programs, yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can't seem to find the data set that they used for this graphic (although I only spent 10 mins or so looking), however I have found one that seems to be slightly more recent here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/graduate-outcomes-for-all-subjects-by-university

(in the .csv labelled underlying data)

and the values given are not salaries immediately after uni, and instead are given for 1,3 or 5 years after graduation. St Andrews doesn't come up that high in this data set, but there are definitely median salaries after 3 years above 40k for some courses, so I can believe that in the year they collected that data set it could have been true for 3 years after graduation.

However I really don't like that graphic as it doesn't actually tell you what data it is showing you. So I'd suggest using the data I linked if you'd like to make decisions on graduate salaries as it gives you info such as survey size, so you can draw your own conclusions
most people in tech don't start on 40k but most people from a top program.. can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No idea why you brought up Edinburgh > St Andrews, seems pretty insecure of you.

But the chart was from The Times and Sunday Times, specifically for 6 months after graduation.
Original post by Capricancer
No idea why you brought up Edinburgh > St Andrews, seems pretty insecure of you.

But the chart was from The Times and Sunday Times, specifically for 6 months after graduation.

Oh thanks for finding the source!

Although it is work noting that it takes the data from DLHE, which is a self reporting survey, so it'd be expected for the values to be higher than is actually the case. This is likely the explanation of the large difference compared to the LEO data set I posted earlier, which collects data from the government's tax data. However it is worth noting that the LEO dataset is from graduates longer ago than DLHE. So I suspect neither give the full picture, but I'd be inclined to believe that the LEO is probably still closer to what can be expected of current graduates.
Original post by Faction Paradox
Oh thanks for finding the source!

Although it is work noting that it takes the data from DLHE, which is a self reporting survey, so it'd be expected for the values to be higher than is actually the case. This is likely the explanation of the large difference compared to the LEO data set I posted earlier, which collects data from the government's tax data. However it is worth noting that the LEO dataset is from graduates longer ago than DLHE. So I suspect neither give the full picture, but I'd be inclined to believe that the LEO is probably still closer to what can be expected of current graduates.

Yeh at St Andrews, we have access to data of where our grads end up and the ~£42k figure is consistent with the figure the university has. The majority of CompSci grads from St Andrews end up in the financial and tech sector (Bloomberg, Skyscanner, JP Morgan, BAML, BlackRock, Google, The Hut Group and Amazon).

Original post by Capricancer
Yeh at St Andrews, we have access to data of where our grads end up and the ~£42k figure is consistent with the figure the university has. The majority of CompSci grads from St Andrews end up in the financial and tech sector (Bloomberg, Skyscanner, JP Morgan, BAML, BlackRock, Google, The Hut Group and Amazon).

Correctomundo.

It genuinely is a tier 1 program, alongside Edinburgh, UCL, Imperial and Oxbridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
It seems a bit high compared with the HMRC data for English universities (which shows a median of approx £30k for Bristol / Kings one year post graduation. However this data is for people graduating in 2013 - which was a really bad time to hit the job market - so could easily be a lot higher today.
Reply 10
Hey, sorry for answering so late to everyone, for some reason didn't get any email that there were answers.
I understand that it is just banter, I actually looked at Edinburgh before looking at St Andrews, but got turned off because there were lots of contradictory statements about studying computer science there, some people say that it is too theoretical, that the teachers, even though experts in their area, are quite distant and don't seem to give much feedback on the students work.
I assume that you studied at Edinburgh so perhaps you can shine some light on it lel
Original post by Jafonso
Hey, sorry for answering so late to everyone, for some reason didn't get any email that there were answers.
I understand that it is just banter, I actually looked at Edinburgh before looking at St Andrews, but got turned off because there were lots of contradictory statements about studying computer science there, some people say that it is too theoretical, that the teachers, even though experts in their area, are quite distant and don't seem to give much feedback on the students work.
I assume that you studied at Edinburgh so perhaps you can shine some light on it lel

that's most top universities really. St As is a bit better because it's smaller

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Jafonso

Paging @Blue_Cow to the thread :moo:
Original post by Jafonso

Edinburgh CS is highly theoretical. Do not come to Edinburgh if you do not enjoy mathematics and/or you want a degree with lots of programming in it

Feedback is okay for the first/second year courses but I've heard from honours years upwards it isn't great.

Original post by Doonesbury
Paging @Blue_Cow to the thread :moo:

Cheers :moo:
Reply 14
Original post by Blue_Cow
Edinburgh CS is highly theoretical. Do not come to Edinburgh if you do not enjoy mathematics and/or you want a degree with lots of programming in it

Feedback is okay for the first/second year courses but I've heard from honours years upwards it isn't great.

Cheers :moo:

Cheers bois
I do like mathematics, but I'm not really sure if that's what I want to follow, regardless thank you so much.
I am quite interested in AI and Data Science and I heard Edinburgh is quite good in that aspect. Perhaps I should give Edinburgh another chance, will see.
Original post by Jafonso
Cheers bois
I do like mathematics, but I'm not really sure if that's what I want to follow, regardless thank you so much.
I am quite interested in AI and Data Science and I heard Edinburgh is quite good in that aspect. Perhaps I should give Edinburgh another chance, will see.

Give it another look. Maybe consider Edinburgh for postgraduate CS as that is where all of the funding goes from what I've seen.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6607088

Here I made another comparison, feel free to give feedback.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending