The Student Room Group

In the lights of whats happened in CBB

I want to address feminist out there

I just want to ask why do a lot of feminist not speak out when some men are victims of false domestic abuse claims or false rape claims. Last time I checked the definition of feminism was the equality of the sexes

If you have been watching the celebrity big brother you would know Roxanne falsely accused Ryan of abusing her. My issue is why are some feminist not saying anything? only normal people were outraged and disgusted by this. Even Women's aid come out defending her.

I just feel like feminism has lost it true purpose and it's just become about women being at the top which I think its unfair. If a women is abused every feminist would speak out against it and rightly so they should!

However, when a male is victim they seem not to care. Its just become about women only. I know a lot of feminist are not like this by far and they are some good ones who speak out on these issues. But they are only a few.

I am a young women myself and I honestly feel like not identifying as a feminist anymore because I don't like what its become. I feel its become about women being superior. You guys don't put all your energy into tackling real life issues such as FGM, forced marriages etc. Real life issues that need serious solutions. Instead of focusing on stupid discussions like who should pay on the first date how about help women and men who really are in need of help and who are victims of serious crimes!!

feel free to disagree, peace! x
Reply 1
how do you know that feminists aren't saying anything? do you know that feminists work in law and defend victims that have been falsely accused? do you know who Ruth Bader Ginsburg is? she famously argued 300 cases of gender discrimination in her career and also defended men. it's not fair you say such things without any proof or understanding. you can't base your opinion on feminism with what you read on TSR and the handful you may have spoken to irl.
Reply 2
Original post by Joleee
how do you know that feminists aren't saying anything? do you know that feminists work in law and defend victims that have been falsely accused? do you know who Ruth Bader Ginsburg is? she famously argued 300 cases of gender discrimination in her career and also defended men. it's not fair you say such things without any proof or understanding. you can't base your opinion on feminism with what you read on TSR and the handful you may have spoken to irl.

if you read my post properly you would see that I wasn't generalising at all. I said there are some feminist who are doing a great job. But my post was directed at feminist who aren't doing anything. Double standards much.
Reply 3
Original post by noey123
if you read my post properly you would see that I wasn't generalising at all. I said there are some feminist who are doing a great job. But my post was directed at feminist who aren't doing anything. Double standards much.

i did read your post properly, that's why i asked you where your evidence is. except there is no evidence that few feminists care about gender equality. and i could prove your entire second last paragraph wrong by pointing to lawyers and judges and women working in outreach programs against FGM, human trafficking and more.

btw "some feminists aren't doing anything" just like some non-feminists aren't.
Reply 4
Original post by Joleee
i did read your post properly, that's why i asked you where your evidence is. except there is no evidence that few feminists care about gender equality. and i could prove your entire second last paragraph wrong by pointing to lawyers and judges and women working in outreach programs against FGM, human trafficking and more.

btw "some feminists aren't doing anything" just like some non-feminists aren't.

you see you're the one generalising because I'm right when I say there isn't a lot of feminist that aren't doing anything. Because whether you like it or not there are radical feminist out there who just care about women. I already gave you an example that Women's aid came out in defence of Roxanne despite her actions.

https://www.womensaid.org.uk/womens-aid-responds-to-roxanne-palletts-experience-in-the-celebrity-big-brother-house/

This is a women's organisation yes however, just because Roxanne is a women it doesn't make her actions any less disgusting. And it is beyond me as to why they would defend such a vile human being who almost could've ruined someones life had there been no cameras watching.

yes you are right that some non-feminist that aren't doing anything. But if you say you are a feminist and you want to strive for equality between the sexes and then you see something wrong happen to the opposite sex and say or doing nothing then you are hypocrite my friend. Because you are not doing the one thing you stand for. By saying you are a feminist you already have some responsibility on your shoulders, the least you could do is speak out. But organisations such as Womens aid decide to defend women like Roxanne.
Original post by noey123
My issue is why are some feminist not saying anything?

Maybe most feminists have got better things to do than watch the utter bilge that is ZZ-list celebs desperately seeking publicity and attention?
Reply 6
Original post by ByEeek
Maybe most feminists have got better things to do than watch the utter bilge that is ZZ-list celebs desperately seeking publicity and attention?

that's not the case. Someone could've ruined someone life over a false accusation. That sounds pretty serious to me. Celebs are not immune to this x
Original post by ByEeek

lol normally. but in this case, it's relatively big news as the person involved has been interviewed on more "upper tier" shows and articles.

And I will say NO ONE agrees with the woman, EVERYONE is livid, but on the turn of the same coin, it's still people whinging on social media, even if they dont agree with a woman claiming to have been beaten. They're still *****ing and dragging someone thru the mud. A comment on DailyFail (lol) on Dailymail shows that over 10000 people agreed with the comment that the woman is swine for lying. Surely there's feminists in that bunch.
Original post by noey123
that's not the case. Someone could've ruined someone life over a false accusation. That sounds pretty serious to me. Celebs are not immune to this x

Its Big Brother. There is a history of people who have made it and been ruined by being on BB. It isn't as if they didn't know what they were getting into. I have no sympathy for anyone who feels so desperate they are prepared to go on BB.
Original post by Joleee

I think what the OP is trying to say that the feminists that she see on the internet and TV seem to ranting extremists who hate white men. She not saying all feminists are like that just the one who get TV and internet forums the rude aggressive ones who give feminists a bad name.

Most people know not very much about feminism they see people on television who claim to be feminists and 9 time out 10 they are men hating aggressive extremists. Not very nice people.
Another example of a woman who set out to ruin a man's life.

Happens all the time . Most rape accusations fail to result in a conviction and are therefore false.
I was on a feminist talk boards a few days ago and noticed how this was completely ignored, odd when you consider if her lies had worked and he had been thrown out of the house for violence, his life in tatters, they would have been all over it like s*** on a blanket, "an example of the patriarchy or how men feel they can use violence on women and get away with it etc etc "
Eventually somebody did post letting people know she was going to be interviewed on The Wright Stuff about her false accusation inviting comment.
Totally ignored with the desired result that it quickly dropped off the first page.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending