The Student Room Group

DSA Taxis, is it a hassle having an account with the taxi company?

Hi,

I just wondered if anyone could please help me, I have been awarded taxi allowance to/from uni. The DSA say the would prefer me to have a taxi account, which seems ok but I just wanted to know, how does it work and how do I pay the expected amount of equivalent in public transport bus fare and who do I pay it to? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am new at this and have no idea how this works.

Thank you
I received a DSA taxi allowance at uni and I was given two options. The first is to set up an account - I paid part and DSA would pay the other.

The other option was paying for my taxi in full every month and DSA would refund back to me their share of the cost. I went with this option for simplicity - I just paid everything and waited for a refund rather than having to calculate anything myself. Talk to your uni and your chosen taxi firm along with your needs assessor if possible to see what would work for you.

Having an account is similar to being a business paying for employee taxis but whether that's an option for you depends on where you live and the taxi firm you're using.
Original post by ParadoxSocks
I received a DSA taxi allowance at uni and I was given two options. The first is to set up an account - I paid part and DSA would pay the other.

The other option was paying for my taxi in full every month and DSA would refund back to me their share of the cost. I went with this option for simplicity - I just paid everything and waited for a refund rather than having to calculate anything myself. Talk to your uni and your chosen taxi firm along with your needs assessor if possible to see what would work for you.

Having an account is similar to being a business paying for employee taxis but whether that's an option for you depends on where you live and the taxi firm you're using.

Thank you so much for your reply, I was thinking on the lines of what you did and for the same reasons. Mainly, because I could not work out, how I was going to pay my share if the taxi company are invoicing DSA direct. I definitely do not want to have to calculate anything myself. I also did not realise I could still contact the DSA assessor after everything had been done, so I will get onto them.

Thanks again
Original post by ilovelearning17
Thank you so much for your reply, I was thinking on the lines of what you did and for the same reasons. Mainly, because I could not work out, how I was going to pay my share if the taxi company are invoicing DSA direct. I definitely do not want to have to calculate anything myself. I also did not realise I could still contact the DSA assessor after everything had been done, so I will get onto them.

Thanks again

Mine worked with me until absolutely everything had been ironed out. Try contacting your taxi company first and then the DSA team to make sure that you all have an agreed plan but if anything isn't working go to your assessor or uni disability team.

Hope that helps!
Reply 4
Your award letter will tell you how much your contribution is. I would recommend you speak to the taxi company chosen, to ask if they prefer you to pay your contribution to the driver on the day or if they will invoice you monthly/weekly etc for it.
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Mine worked with me until absolutely everything had been ironed out. Try contacting your taxi company first and then the DSA team to make sure that you all have an agreed plan but if anything isn't working go to your assessor or uni disability team.

Hope that helps!

It definitely does thanks
Original post by Lovesick
Your award letter will tell you how much your contribution is. I would recommend you speak to the taxi company chosen, to ask if they prefer you to pay your contribution to the driver on the day or if they will invoice you monthly/weekly etc for it.

Thanks for your reply, I will do that.
Reply 7
I had a taxi account for uni - they gave me a reference to quote when booking my taxi, and DSA told me how much I would need to pay per journey. I just gave the cash to the taxi driver. It wasnt complicated at all
Reply 8
Hi how much do you pay towards the journey? I ah e my dsa this week and considering asking as I struggle with public transport.
Hi you pay whatever it costs on public transport to get to uni and if DSA is approved they pay the rest. But they will tell you how much etc as DSA assessor has to cost everything up before you get approved. Hope this makes sense.

Quick Reply

Latest