The Student Room Group

Does Cambridge favour 3 of 4 A levels?

Hi there. I am currently doing AS level Computer Science, ICT, Maths and Further maths as my 4 A levels. I wish to study at cambridge after my A levels. Would Cambridge favour 4 A levels or is it best for me if I drop ICT as I already have picked computer science?
Reply 1
From the Cambridge website:

Our typical offers are based on students taking three A Levels together in Year 13, and most Cambridge applicants are studying three or four A Level subjects in Years 12 and 13. This is usually sufficient to show breadth of interests and ability to manage a range of differing academic tasks. We’d rather applicants develop broader and deeper knowledge of the subjects most relevant/closest to their chosen course than accumulate additional A Levels.

Applicants taking four subjects won't normally be at an advantage compared with those taking three, although competitive applicants for STEM courses often have Further Mathematics as a fourth subject.
Reply 2
What course do you want to do?
Reply 3
Original post by em1602
What course do you want to do?

I wish to do Mathemetics or Mathematics and Computer Science
Reply 4
Original post by Beth_H
From the Cambridge website:

Our typical offers are based on students taking three A Levels together in Year 13, and most Cambridge applicants are studying three or four A Level subjects in Years 12 and 13. This is usually sufficient to show breadth of interests and ability to manage a range of differing academic tasks. We’d rather applicants develop broader and deeper knowledge of the subjects most relevant/closest to their chosen course than accumulate additional A Levels.

Applicants taking four subjects won't normally be at an advantage compared with those taking three, although competitive applicants for STEM courses often have Further Mathematics as a fourth subject.

Sorry, but what does STEM courses mean?
Reply 5
Original post by ak239139

3 strong A-levels are required and completely sufficient. There is literally no point adding ICT if you are doing Computer Science A-level.

Sorry, but what does STEM courses mean?

Science Technology Engineering Mathematics
Reply 6
Original post by Doonesbury
3 strong A-levels are required and completely sufficient. There is literally no point adding ICT if you are doing Computer Science A-level.

Science Technology Engineering Mathematics

Is it best for me to drop ICT after AS year or should I do it when I have the chance? Is there any benefit of dropping ICT after AS year or not?
Reply 7
Is it best for me to drop ICT after AS year or should I do it when I have the chance? Is there any benefit of dropping ICT after AS year or not?

Drop it now, and maybe do an EPQ instead. I'm surprised your school encouraged you to do both CS and ICT.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Drop it now, and maybe do an EPQ instead. I'm surprised your school encouraged you to do both CS and ICT.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, what is an EPQ?
Reply 9
Sorry, what is an EPQ?

Extended Project Qualification
https://www.ucas.com/connect/blogs/what-epq-and-why-should-i-do-one-epq-advice-1

Are you at a UK school?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10

Yes, I am in a school in Wales called gorseinon college, but I don't believe I know anyone doing EPQ or if that is possible to do

I would note, there is no "Mathematics and Computer Science" course at Cambridge. There is "Computer Science with Mathematics", however this only means you do Maths and CS equally in your first year, and for the remainder of the course you just do CS (although it's no doubt highly mathematical). Additionally, you can't normally switch into the Mathematics programme from CS with Maths (it would be down to the college directors of studies in the respective subjects, and from the phrasing on the website they don't like this change, unlike e.g. Mathematics with Physics going into Natural Sciences Physics which is a standardised route).

If you want to study both subjects equally (or in whatever proportion between the two you would like), then you might want to consider Mathematics & Computer Science at Oxford, which is a true joint course between the subjects for all years of the degree (although you can largely focus on one or the other as you progress through if you so choose). Other possibly similar/related courses include Discrete Mathematics at Warwick and Mathematical Computation at UCL.

Otherwise the above advice is sound. You have Maths and FM, which are the only requirements/desired further options, so only one other subject is necessary. If you're interested in CS (which given you're planning to study it at uni, seems likely) then that's a fine choice. CS is a lot more relevant than ICT, and often preferred over the latter.
Reply 12
Yes, I am in a school in Wales called gorseinon college, but I don't believe I know anyone doing EPQ or if that is possible to do

Doi worry then. In your own time do other things to develop your interest and curiosity about CS. Eg get an Arduino kit, or learn some Python or whatever.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by artful_lounger
I would note, there is no "Mathematics and Computer Science" course at Cambridge. There is "Computer Science with Mathematics", however this only means you do Maths and CS equally in your first year, and for the remainder of the course you just do CS (although it's no doubt highly mathematical). Additionally, you can't normally switch into the Mathematics programme from CS with Maths (it would be down to the college directors of studies in the respective subjects, and from the phrasing on the website they don't like this change, unlike e.g. Mathematics with Physics going into Natural Sciences Physics which is a standardised route).

If you want to study both subjects equally (or in whatever proportion between the two you would like), then you might want to consider Mathematics & Computer Science at Oxford, which is a true joint course between the subjects for all years of the degree (although you can largely focus on one or the other as you progress through if you so choose). Other possibly similar/related courses include Discrete Mathematics at Warwick and Mathematical Computation at UCL.

Otherwise the above advice is sound. You have Maths and FM, which are the only requirements/desired further options, so only one other subject is necessary. If you're interested in CS (which given you're planning to study it at uni, seems likely) then that's a fine choice. CS is a lot more relevant than ICT, and often preferred over the latter.

Ok thank you for your reply. That was really helpful :smile:.

Doi worry then. In your own time do other things to develop your interest and curiosity about CS. Eg get an Arduino kit, or learn some Python or whatever.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, thank you :smile:

Quick Reply