The Student Room Group

Shadow's Impossible Seeming Journey To A*AA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nyxnko_
Tag me!!
Good luck for Year 13!!
Just out of interest, why did you pick bio? Wouldn't it make more sense to take chem/physics/FM?

Will do!
Thanks so much! Good luck for year 13!
I considered Physics and throughout year 12 kind of regretted not choosing it because I felt it would have made Maths (Mechanics) a little easier. But I picked Bio mainly because I stayed at the same school for 6th form and the teachers in the Bio department were way better at teaching than the teachers in the Physics department. For GCSE Physics I had to teach myself the majority of the course with just the help of the CGP revision guide and I felt that at A Level i'd struggle doing that again as I'm not naturally good at Physics and A Level there's harder concepts. I also strongly considered FM but our school does it so that you do all of AS and A Level Maths in year 12 then just FM in year 13. I take quite a bit of time to fully understand and get to grips with Maths as it also doesn't come naturally to me. But in the end despite not being able to apply to Oxbridge/Imperial, I'm glad that I didn't take it because I struggled with the pace of normal Maths and doing FM would be even faster and I would have fallen really far behind. Ideally I wanted to do AS FM but our school doesn't let anyone do that. Chem I didn't consider at all because although I did well at GCSE, I really disliked it. Sorry this turned into such a long answer, but I hope it helps! :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by VVDOOMVV
good luck

Original post by HeyDana
Good luck !!! Hope u are on the right track and fixing those predictions to A*s. :smile::smile::smile:

Thank you! :h:
Original post by Shadowdraconis
Will do!
Thanks so much! Good luck for year 13!
I considered Physics and throughout year 12 kind of regretted not choosing it because I felt it would have made Maths (Mechanics) a little easier. But I picked Bio mainly because I stayed at the same school for 6th form and the teachers in the Bio department were way better at teaching than the teachers in the Physics department. For GCSE Physics I had to teach myself the majority of the course with just the help of the CGP revision guide and I felt that at A Level i'd struggle doing that again as I'm not naturally good at Physics and A Level there's harder concepts. I also strongly considered FM but our school does it so that you do all of AS and A Level Maths in year 12 then just FM in year 13. I take quite a bit of time to fully understand and get to grips with Maths as it also doesn't come naturally to me. But in the end despite not being able to apply to Oxbridge/Imperial, I'm glad that I didn't take it because I struggled with the pace of normal Maths and doing FM would be even faster and I would have fallen really far behind. Ideally I wanted to do AS FM but our school doesn't let anyone do that. Chem I didn't consider at all because although I did well at GCSE, I really disliked it. Sorry this turned into such a long answer, but I hope it helps! :smile:

Thank you!! :hugs:
Welp, I guess that all makes sense. You did what you felt was best for you and that's always good.
(By the way, panicked a little at the paragraph :colondollar:)
Original post by nyxnko_
Thank you!! :hugs:
Welp, I guess that all makes sense. You did what you felt was best for you and that's always good.
(By the way, panicked a little at the paragraph :colondollar:)

:hugs:
Haha sorry, got a bit carried away! :blushing:
Haha sorry, got a bit carried away! :blushing:

It's okay. :tongue:
Reply 45
Could you tag me please? :smile:
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Could you tag me please? :smile:

Sure!
07/09/18 Week 1 [Update #1]

First Day Of Year 13 (Wednesday 5th)
The first day of year 13 went surprisingly well. My timetable arrangement isn't great, as I only get to go home early on 1 day of the week (compared to 4 days last year) :noway:, but I'll survive. The library shall be my sanctuary . I only had 2 lessons, so it was a really chilled out start the stress filled year. I had a new (new as in I'd never had her before not new to the school) teacher for 1 of those subjects, Maths, and the new teacher seems really good although we didn't do any proper maths that first lesson.

New Teachers (Thursday 6th & Friday 7th)
Thursday and Friday went ok too, despite feeling quite demotivated last night. I have 2 new teachers for both Biology and Maths and experienced them all in the past 3 days. For Computer Science, our school only has 2 teachers so we will have the same as last year. The other teacher for Maths seems quite good too but like Wednesday, we didn't actually get taught anything new as we were recapping Chapter 12 for a test next Friday (Dreading it as that is one of the 2 tests that is going to decide my predicted grade for Maths so I'm going to try and get 80%/90% hopefully to secure that A prediction). One of the new teachers for Biology is new to the school, and she taught a topic on Friday. She was a lot better than I was expecting and for once I feel comfortable enough to ask questions etc in her class. I already have quite a bit of homework (& that test to revise for :cry2:)

Summary & Accomplishments
Really tiring week although it was technically only 1/2 a week, but I still feel like its the summer holidays so I probably just need to get back into the swing of things. :sleep: Didn't get as much done as I'd hoped but I'm still happy with what I did get done/nearly done.
- Do all my homework the day it's set
- Use free's productively
- Finish notes for each Biology lesson on the same day ~ (Couldn't fully complete as I have Biology last lesson on a Friday, get home at 5, then eat + go swimming and get home quite late so Friday lesson notes postponed to today)
- Practice maths questions
- Work on Computer Science coursework
✘Not at all ■A little ~Mostly/Nearly ✔Fully Completed

Tag List
Thanks for reading! :hugs: Sorry if it was a bit boring to read, I'm still figuring this all out, as it's my first GYG. If you don't want to be tagged/want to be tagged just say. I'm also happy to follow anyone else's GYG's.

Click here

(edited 5 years ago)
woah, how do you do those gradients?:eek:
good luck for those tests, i hope you do well:smile:
Glad your new teachers seem good :smile:
When is your coursework due?

Posted from TSR Mobile
glad your first few days went well :woo:
Original post by entertainmyfaith
woah, how do you do those gradients?:eek:
good luck for those tests, i hope you do well:smile:

By using a BBCode coloured text generator, credit to @gcsemusicsucks. :tongue:
Thanks! :hugs:
Original post by Lemur14
Glad your new teachers seem good :smile:
When is your coursework due?
Posted from TSR Mobile

My teacher says just before we leave for exams so I'm assuming mid May, what about you?

Original post by nyxnko_
glad your first few days went well :woo:

My teacher says just before we leave for exams so I'm assuming mid May, what about you?

:eek: Wow you've got ages then! Your teacher must be super quick at marking them :redface: Ours are due 14th or 15th February depending on who you ask

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14
:eek: Wow you've got ages then! Your teacher must be super quick at marking them :redface: Ours are due 14th or 15th February depending on who you ask

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup which is why I'm not too worried about it atm. Haha yeah, and he only has 7 to mark lol. :eek: That's a lot earlier than ours! Good luck for then! How is yours going?

ah thank you, i shall find that very useful:biggrin:
Yup which is why I'm not too worried about it atm. Haha yeah, and he only has 7 to mark lol. :eek: That's a lot earlier than ours! Good luck for then! How is yours going?

Yeah I can understand that at this point! Ahh my teacher will only have 20 but some of the other teachers will have up to 60 so that's why it has to be in so early.
Thank you :hugs: It's going alright, got the first section almost done for the deadline next Tuesday, then we move on to section 2 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Glad to hear the first couple days of Year 13 went well! Hope you get that maths grade prediction you want too! :smile:

:colone: I feel like I've started a trend here :lol:
What's with all the CSS?
Original post by Lemur14
Yeah I can understand that at this point! Ahh my teacher will only have 20 but some of the other teachers will have up to 60 so that's why it has to be in so early.
Thank you :hugs: It's going alright, got the first section almost done for the deadline next Tuesday, then we move on to section 2 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh ok, that makes sense.
That's good! :gthumb:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending