The Student Room Group

I dont meet GCSE requirement for uni

Hi,
I wanted to know how important are GCSE requirements when it comes to getting a place in uni. Unfortunately I havent met some of the GCSE requirements for veterinary med (whilst ive excelled in other GCSE requirements). Are these really taken into consideration?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by jdkshfkjsdf
Hi,
I wanted to know how important are GCSE requirements when it comes to getting a place in uni. Unfortunately I havent met some of the GCSE requirements for veterinary med (whilst ive excelled in other GCSE requirements). Are these really taken into consideration?

Thanks

GCSE Requirements really just depends on which University you want to go to- some universities just look at your A-levels
Hi,

Thanks

if you don't meet the gcse requirements, you ll have to look at other universities as they don't budge on those requirements generally.
Reply 3
Original post by f0r6et
GCSE Requirements really just depends on which University you want to go to- some universities just look at your A-levels

for the ones which do have gcse requirements, will they acc matter?
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
if you don't meet the gcse requirements, you ll have to look at other universities as they don't budge on those requirements generally.

Thanks, but unfortunately there are not many unis that offer vet med, and they all have the same requirements :frown:

Does this mean i have to really aim to do something else?
Thanks, but unfortunately there are not many unis that offer vet med, and they all have the same requirements :frown:

Does this mean i have to really aim to do something else?

look into whether any might accept it if you resat them but otherwise you may do, you could look at vet nursing perhaps.
Reply 6
look into whether any might accept it if you resat them but otherwise you may do, you could look at vet nursing perhaps.

I had a really tough gcse year (not academically) so that contributed towards my grade. i know i am capable of studying such a hard course, but it is a shame that thing were out of my hands during year 11, and that is having an effect on my dream career.
I had a really tough gcse year (not academically) so that contributed towards my grade. i know i am capable of studying such a hard course, but it is a shame that thing were out of my hands during year 11, and that is having an effect on my dream career.

look into universities extenuating circumstances policies, see if they'll consider you that way with your gcses. there are some universities that have foundation years for vet med which have lower gcse requirements but they will want you to meet other criteria.
Reply 8
look into universities extenuating circumstances policies, see if they'll consider you that way with your gcses. there are some universities that have foundation years for vet med which have lower gcse requirements but they will want you to meet other criteria.

ok thank you for your help
for the ones which do have gcse requirements, will they acc matter?

GCSE grades matter till you get your A-Level results. In reality, if you some crap GCSE's but get 3 A or A*s any unis will accept you.
Original post by sakibul islam
GCSE grades matter till you get your A-Level results. In reality, if you some crap GCSE's but get 3 A or A*s any unis will accept you.

Not true for vet med. If there are minimum requirements and you don't meet them you will be rejected unfortunately.
Original post by animalmagic
Not true for vet med. If there are minimum requirements and you don't meet them you will be rejected unfortunately.

What about pharmacy?
Original post by sakibul islam
What about pharmacy?

I've no idea I'm afraid, my specialty is vet med. Logically I would expect it to be the same though for any ultra competitive course which I suspect pharmacy is.
I applied to RVC, Nottingham, Liverpool and Surrey without meeting their GCSE requirements
Received interviews/offers from the other three but Surrey was a flat out rejection.
It certainly makes you a weaker applicant but provided your work experience, A levels (I applied with actual results not just predictions) and personal statement is good I wouldn't rule out your chances.

Of course this depends how close you were too them - I only missed I think two GCSE targets by a grade
You have been extremely lucky to have interviews. Generally if you dont meet the GCSE requirements it is an automatic rejection for any subject. GCSE requirements in particular Maths and English are set because the university sees the grade as necessary due to the content of the course
Original post by swanseajack1
You have been extremely lucky to have interviews. Generally if you dont meet the GCSE requirements it is an automatic rejection for any subject. GCSE requirements in particular Maths and English are set because the university sees the grade as necessary due to the content of the course

If you're addressing me I will add I received 3 offers and I am currently a 3rd year vet student
I wouldn't consider myself lucky but clearly deserving of a place :smile:
Original post by VMD100
If you're addressing me I will add I received 3 offers and I am currently a 3rd year vet student
I wouldn't consider myself lucky but clearly deserving of a place :smile:

I wonder if the crucial fact is that you applied with actual A level grades. I suspect that without A levels in the bag and only predicted grades you would have been automatically rejected.
Original post by animalmagic
I wonder if the crucial fact is that you applied with actual A level grades. I suspect that without A levels in the bag and only predicted grades you would have been automatically rejected.

Quite possibly - I have no idea how it could be done but would argue they should view applicants on a far broader scale, for there are many people within vet school that have fantastic grades on paper but are perhaps the least competent individuals I have ever met :biggrin:
Original post by VMD100
Quite possibly - I have no idea how it could be done but would argue they should view applicants on a far broader scale, for there are many people within vet school that have fantastic grades on paper but are perhaps the least competent individuals I have ever met :biggrin:

Totally agree. The selection processes have a lot to answer for 😢

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending