The Student Room Group

Can I get into investment banking with my A Levels?

I took Maths Chemistry and History for A Levels. Can I get into investment banking or should I swap a subject?
Well, what degree do you need for that?

Economics? Accountancy? You can definitely get into economics I think.
Reply 2
Yes you can, best to do an economics degree but DON'T take it at A level. Lot's of A level economics is twisted to make it easy enough for A level and it kinda lies. Economics departments usually prefer you not to have it so they don't have to knock you down to build you back up again.
Reply 3
Original post by vicvic38
Well, what degree do you need for that?

Economics? Accountancy? You can definitely get into economics I think.

Accountancy my brother
Reply 4
Original post by TomDRV
Yes you can, best to do an economics degree but DON'T take it at A level. Lot's of A level economics is twisted to make it easy enough for A level and it kinda lies. Economics departments usually prefer you not to have it so they don't have to knock you down to build you back up again.

Aha bro thanks for this
Original post by 01aze10
Accountancy my brother

You'll need to learn finance, though

If you arent at a target or at least a semi-target school, then the answer is no.
Reply 6
Original post by SomMC1
You'll need to learn finance, though

If you arent at a target or at least a semi-target school, then the answer is no.

What do u mean a target?

Also we can't do finance at A levels
Reply 7
Original post by SomMC1
I meant for your study degree - you need to study economics, or accounting and finance in order to have a shot at IB, as those degrees would offer you the best knowledge for IB. Pure accounting is not ideal either. LSE doesnt offer pure accounting; only in combination with finance ,for example.

Target for IB: Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial, Warwick. in no particular order

Semi-target: King's, Cass Business School, Durham, Exeter, Bath, Bristol, Manchester, Nottingham, etc. There are other but those should give you a good idea. Again, in no particular order.

Yeah I get that bro. But can I study accounting at A levels by doing Maths Chemistry and History for A levels
Original post by 01aze10
Yeah I get that bro. But can I study accounting at A levels by doing Maths Chemistry and History for A levels

how can you study accounting at A level by doing those 3 subjects? doesnt make any sense.
Reply 9
Original post by SomMC1
how can you study accounting at A level by doing those 3 subjects? doesnt make any sense.

Why not? If I take maths Y would the other 2 matter?
Original post by 01aze10
Why not? If I take maths Y would the other 2 matter?

so youre taking 4 A level subjects? maths, chem, history and accounting?
Reply 11
Original post by SomMC1
so youre taking 4 A level subjects? maths, chem, history and accounting?

No I aint taking accountancy at A level. I want to take it at uni
Reply 12
Original post by SomMC1
oh thats different. this whole time you were always referring to it at A levels lol.

it'll be tough to get to IB with just accountancy though, as you will have no knowledge on Finance during the summer intern interviews, if you get any or even on the job you will be completely lost, as you will be studying a vocational accounting degree.

Bro I'm going to take the risk. I fully haven't decided what I want to do. I just want to take accountancy. Do u think I could just get into accountancy with these A levels
Original post by 01aze10
Bro I'm going to take the risk. I fully haven't decided what I want to do. I just want to take accountancy. Do u think I could just get into accountancy with these A levels

It's not really a risk at all bc if you dont get into banking (which is a good chance you wont), you can go into the Big 4 and work there.
Why accountancy though? and it widely depends on what unis and what predictions you'll have, but sure those subjects arent bad.
the op seems very confused in this thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
the op seems very confused in this thread

Posted from TSR Mobile

well, it's a new school year so ideas get a bit confused :biggrin:
Reply 16
Your A-levels alone aren't going to determine much about your future, there are a lot of possible ways to end up doing investment banking. Similarly, there is no one degree that leads to IB. Sciences, maths, economics, PPE, it doesn't matter that much either.

So in short - don't worry about your A-levels. Don't even worry that much about your degree choice.
Take Physics and do a Physics degree. If you do a Physics degree at one of the target universities you could be guaranteed employment before you've even graduated.
Original post by DominicW123
Take Physics and do a Physics degree. If you do a Physics degree at one of the target universities you could be guaranteed employment before you've even graduated.

no one is guaranteed anything unless they're doing a core health-related course

Quick Reply

Latest