Monday's coming parliamentary discussion:

Should 16 year olds have the vote?

Discuss

Scroll to see replies

Why not
Original post by cloud_9_
Why not

hmm, do expand on that?

bearing in mind, a 16 year old is legally not allowed to drink, can own a provisional license, but not drive fully. And cannot be conscripted to war.

if a 16 year can vote? then why not say 15? too
No.
Original post by RichPiana
No.

Why not? and what should the national voting age be?
Very good point,

However you can't deny that a sizeable percentage of the internet population voted Brexit for bants too. Does that make their vote not count?

Isn't democracy truly choice? even uninformed ones?
Original post by Le Vagabond
hmm, do expand on that?

bearing in mind, a 16 year old is legally not allowed to drink, can own a provisional license, but not drive fully. And cannot be conscripted to war.

if a 16 year can vote? then why not say 15? too

It's exactly what you just said that makes me think they shouldn't. However, there is a reason one particular party constantly pushes for votes under 16, and we all know why - younger people are easily impressionable. Plus you made a good point, why cut it off at 16 when it could be 15 - What's the difference?
Original post by Harold Saxon
It's exactly what you just said that makes me think they shouldn't. However, there is a reason one particular party constantly pushes for votes under 16, and we all know why - younger people are easily impressionable. Plus you made a good point, why cut it off at 16 when it could be 15 - What's the difference?

Agreed.
However. This one debate will be held by the conservatives on Monday.

So, in hindsight, what do you think about raising the voting age?
(edited 5 years ago)
28 year olds shouldn’t get the vote let alone 16 year olds. Ideally it should be about 25
One of the few good things good about fptp is that these people's votes would count for absolutely nothing. As do most votes that are not red or blue.
Agreed.
However. This one debate will be held by the conservatives on Monday.

So, in hindsight, what do you think about raising the voting age?

Seeing as though 18 is basically the base age for many things in this country for most things: drinking, driving etc... Plus it's generally seen as the age of actually being an adult, because you will have left full time compulsory education and be free to do as you please and make a living for yourself. 16-Year Old's generally can't make a proper living for themselves, don't know life outside their town and parent's house, don't pay taxes and are still in either secondary school or another form of full time education (college, sixth form, apprenticeships).
Original post by Davij038
28 year olds shouldn’t get the vote let alone 16 year olds. Ideally it should be about 25

Why not 28, but 25? makes no sense kek
We have immature idiots at every age, I have no issue with giving 16 year olds the vote. I don't think there's this magic graduation of maturity when you hit 18.
If 16 year olds are allowed to vote why not 15 year olds?

I think it’s best just to leave it at age 18 as a cap.

More needs to be done to increase the turnout among 18-22 year olds and then maybe we can think about going lower. At age 16 me and many others didn’t care much about political parties and elections.

Of course there are some politically active 16 year olds
(edited 5 years ago)
No, and neither should they at 18.
Some 16 year olds can make more better decisions than most adults ☕️ Don’t underestimate them.
Why not? and what should the national voting age be?

I think it’s fine as it is at 18. Gives people an extra couple of years to mature so that they can make more of an informed decision.
A 16 year old cannot stand at the election, thus I don’t think they should vote.
Original post by _gcx
We have immature idiots at every age, I have no issue with giving 16 year olds the vote. I don't think there's this magic graduation of maturity when you hit 18.

Shouldn't we then pick an age where at least maturity is (not certain but a) given? like 24? maybe?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending