The Student Room Group

Study Abroad vs Placement Year Abroad/not abroad

Hi, I am currently looking at Uni courses, and I am thinking if I should do an additional year.
For now, I just want to do my 3 years, get the Bachelor, and find a job, but I know that many employers would like someone with actual experience, so I might do a placement year; but I would like to do the placement abroad, in Berlin, as I just came back from an internship and I loved the city.
So, has anyone of you done placements abroad? And is the income enough to live in that country for that year?
Otherwise, I am also thinking of doing a study abroad, also in Berlin, in that case, how does the student loan work? Or do I have to pay the rent and enrolling cost by myself?

I know that a placement year would be better, and I know that a placement in England is paid around 15K a year; but I would like to do the placement in a foreign country, to have more opportunities so that if I can't find work here, I can go somewhere else.

In conclusion, does a placement year, or a year studying abroad help? Also, if I do choose to do a placement abroad, how does the student loan work? Does it cover the ticket or the rent, or do I pay them from the actual placement?

Maybe the question is a bit confusing, and the order of the content is weird, feel free to ask more details.
Original post by Ilmerith
Hi, I am currently looking at Uni courses, and I am thinking if I should do an additional year.
For now, I just want to do my 3 years, get the Bachelor, and find a job, but I know that many employers would like someone with actual experience, so I might do a placement year; but I would like to do the placement abroad, in Berlin, as I just came back from an internship and I loved the city.
So, has anyone of you done placements abroad? And is the income enough to live in that country for that year?
Otherwise, I am also thinking of doing a study abroad, also in Berlin, in that case, how does the student loan work? Or do I have to pay the rent and enrolling cost by myself?

I know that a placement year would be better, and I know that a placement in England is paid around 15K a year; but I would like to do the placement in a foreign country, to have more opportunities so that if I can't find work here, I can go somewhere else.

In conclusion, does a placement year, or a year studying abroad help? Also, if I do choose to do a placement abroad, how does the student loan work? Does it cover the ticket or the rent, or do I pay them from the actual placement?

Maybe the question is a bit confusing, and the order of the content is weird, feel free to ask more details.

1. Income and living wage, depends on where you go and how much you will get paid to work. So no one can really tell you the specifics. I would recommend, if you're dead set on going abroad (whether it be placement or study), you should start saving as much as possible. Try and keep a job for a year or two.

2. Studying abroad works a bit differently, but I don't know about it - it depends on how your institution works. I think SF will give you tuition fee cause that goes to your uni. They'd give you maintenance too, but I very much think it wouldn't be near enough when going to another country. I wanted to do a semester abroad at my uni but had to pay for everything myself, incl. how to look for somewhere to stay and pay for my own rent etc etc. 9/10 you will have to pay for everything, excl. tuition fee. So you'll have to pay for your own tickets, anything you want shipping out, etc etc. You would have to find your own space to rent and everything basically. The prospect of all this was the biggest turn of for me when applying for study abroad.

3. All in all, depends on what you want to get out of the two. Study abroad is just that - studying in a diff country. If you want to check out another country's education/university system then go for it. If you want to see what the other country's professional world is like, then go for the work placement. I think study abroad would be better if you just want to experience what it's like to be in another country and be young and whatnot. I think work placement might be too much and you won't get much social time (but this depends on how many hours you do, where you'd be located) etc.

There's a lot to consider really. If you're ready to get your feet wet into your chosen industry, then go with the work placement. If you wish to study in another country and see what it's like, pick study abroad.
i did study abroad, and yeah had time of life. does it make me in any more employable id say not really no.
In terms of the money allocated...for maintenance, as with a regular year spent studying in the UK, the amount you can get is means tested up to a maximum £9,963 (£4,816 non means tested). However, if you go to a EU country like Berlin you might also be eligible for the Erasmus grant.

More info on that is available here. As for your other question, transport costs can be covered by the travel grant.
Reply 4
Studying abroad may be one of the most beneficial experiences for a college student. By studying abroad, students have the opportunity to study in a foreign nation and take in the allure and culture of a new land. According to the QS World University Rankings, 15 of the top 20 universities in the world are in the US or the UK
From what I've seen, a placement year abroad, particularly in a university town or at somewhere with a large internship program or graduate intake, you will have an amazing time.

That said, be aware that a lot of countries don't have the concept of a placement year and also don't really have the concept of paying their interns. For Germany you should be ok however, you'll either get paid or an Erasmus grant as mentioned before, though be aware that the Erasmus grant is decent but not a huge chunk of change. You can also get a loan from Student Finance and the same situation applies.

I would also say that some programs within the UK can give you pretty great travel opportunities while not having to worry too much about the language barrier, being further away from what and who you know, etc., particularly placements at MNCs related to supply chain.
Reply 6
Thanks for all the answers. I know about the Erasmus+ grant, but I'd like to actually work for a company. Especially because the grant is not that substantial when I did my internship I got 900 euros, in total for 2 months. It is a good amount, especially because accommodation and bills are already paid; but it basically covers basic needs. I'd like to actually feel the living there, I know that Berlin is famous for startups, and for this reason I am really interested in doing an internship there.
The language barrier shouldn't be a big problem (for Berlin), most of the people there speak English, also, as a web/software developer, most of the workload needs to be done in English anyway.
Currently, I am thinking of doing a placement there, if I find one, and check the wage, and find accommodations, and info about bills I will see if it is feasible, maybe it won't be an internship, as they usually get paid less, but I'll see when it's time.
Or, I will take the Erasmus+ program, as I found it interesting last time; I will try to do like 2/3 months each year of uni; so that I can get work experience over the summer, as doing it for a whole year can create a good loss of income, as I would need to drop the hypothetical part-time job that I will have during uni; so during the summer I could take a break from that job, and do the internship.
There are many other factors to consider, thanks for the different points of view. I decided to do the placement, now I am thinking if doing the Erasmus+ program, each year (or just a long 6 months one, during the 3rd year), finding a placement as a "normal job" (not funded by the government, but paid by the company); or just do the placement in England.
Because I'd like to move to Berlin to work, doing an internship there would allow me to have connections, and possible job offers by the employer that hires me during the internship.

(No, my previous internship there did not help, even if I loved the city, the work wasn't great)

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending