The Student Room Group

Medicine with bad gcses???

I just finished doing gcses and I am now starting A levels in Biology, Chemistry and, English Literature and plan to work very hard on getting A*s in them.
I've wanted to do medicine at university for a long time but after my gcses I feel like my grades just aren't good enough to apply.
Here are my results:
Combined science ~ 99
Maths~8
English literature ~9
English language ~ 7:frown:
Geography~8
French~8
Art~5
Textiles~ D :frown:((
My high school was really bad and didnt offer that many gcses and nobody passed textiles thats how bad it was :frown:(
I've seen some people with like 10 A*s get rejected from medical schools so I feel like mine aren't good enough should i start thinking of other careers or do you think i should still apply next year??

Scroll to see replies

Looking at your GCSEs, they're not that bad. Other than art and textiles, they're actually great, so don't beat yourself up over them. And English language is a 7! Some universities look for a minimum of 6 at least in English, so you're fine in that respect. :smile:

I'd say definitely still go for medicine if that's what you definitely what you want to do. Some unis don't really care about your GCSEs, and others do. It's worth checking out the websites of each uni you're thinking of to see how heavily they weight the GCSEs. Also, most unis use contextual factors, so if your school was really bad, it wouldn't disadvantage you when you apply, because they would take into account the average grades of your school at GCSE.

Don't worry! At the end of it, it's not just your grades at GCSE that count, there's your personal statement, work experience, the UKCAT and the interview to prove yourself. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by PinkSapphire13
Looking at your GCSEs, they're not that bad. Other than art and textiles, they're actually great, so don't beat yourself up over them. And English language is a 7! Some universities look for a minimum of 6 at least in English, so you're fine in that respect. :smile:

I'd say definitely still go for medicine if that's what you definitely what you want to do. Some unis don't really care about your GCSEs, and others do. It's worth checking out the websites of each uni you're thinking of to see how heavily they weight the GCSEs. Also, most unis use contextual factors, so if your school was really bad, it wouldn't disadvantage you when you apply, because they would take into account the average grades of your school at GCSE.

Don't worry! At the end of it, it's not just your grades at GCSE that count, there's your personal statement, work experience, the UKCAT and the interview to prove yourself. Good luck!

Thank you for the advice !! Im really hoping to to get good UKCAT scores .The college I am going to now is a lot better than my last school and they help us practice for UKCATs so Im hoping they will support my aplication and I have secured a position as a hospital volunteer. I guess ill just have to keep working hard 😊
... You don't have "bad" gcse's, the majority above 7's. You're literally a straight A student, and I really do despise when people come on here sobbing over their "bad" grades when they've pretty much aced everything. No university is going to care about your textiles grade, seriously.
theyre fine
Original post by Harold Saxon
... You don't have "bad" gcse's, the majority above 7's. You're literally a straight A student, and I really do despise when people come on here sobbing over their "bad" grades when they've pretty much aced everything. No university is going to care about your textiles grade, seriously.

With all due respect this person is not considering your average degree
Medicine is horrifically competitive and the slightest little thing will ruin your application
Original post by Inspiringvisons
Medicine is horrifically competitive and the slightest little thing will ruin your application

With all due respect, this person is pursuing a degree where I really doubt they care about his textiles grade. Other than that all his grades are A/A* and I don’t understand why you people think this is good enough, not everyone applying for med school is gonna have 9s in everything. I feel as if this question about are my grades good enough wouldn’t even be asked if we stuck with A* to c grades, because A/A* look better on paper than 7 or 8
Reply 7
Original post by fsoxnx
I just finished doing gcses and I am now starting A levels in Biology, Chemistry and, English Literature and plan to work very hard on getting A*s in them.
I've wanted to do medicine at university for a long time but after my gcses I feel like my grades just aren't good enough to apply.
Here are my results:
Combined science ~ 99
Maths~8
English literature ~9
Geography~8
French~8
Art~5

My high school was really bad and didnt offer that many gcses and nobody passed textiles thats how bad it was :frown:(
I've seen some people with like 10 A*s get rejected from medical schools so I feel like mine aren't good enough should i start thinking of other careers or do you think i should still apply next year??

Would you want someone with your GCSEs being your doctor?

true that I mean I got 7 A's and 3 B's in mine and I'm still applying to med, they really don't care a great deal about GCSE's.. OP did great though
Original post by kekedoyouloveme?
true that I mean I got 7 A's and 3 B's in mine and I'm still applying to med, they really don't care a great deal about GCSE's.. OP did great though

Completely agree the op smashed it with all A/a* grades it’s just that as you say GCSEs are overrated for med, it’s all based on your alevels, work experience, personal statement and interview - not that one C you got in textiles or I hate saying this the dreaded GRADE 7 ( a bloody A) in English language.
Completely agree the op smashed it with all A/a* grades it’s just that as you say GCSEs are overrated for med, it’s all based on your alevels, work experience, personal statement and interview - not that one C you got in textiles or I hate saying this the dreaded GRADE 7 ( a bloody A) in English language.

i was actually gassed I got a 7 in both English when I did mine last year ngl thought I was gonna get a 3 in both, a 7 is great and I was one mark off an 8 in language, either way didn't really give a toss even a 6 is pretty damn good english language is hard, and not many people get 7's tbh, it's hard to get

with all due respect you must not know much about medicine applications if you think 6A* and an A is not enough to get into medicine
I didn't say that the grades were not enough to get into medicine
I meant that what is above average for most degree will be simply average for medicine
Original post by Maker
Would you want someone with your GCSEs being your doctor?

but at the same time, your qualities and you as a person make you a good doctor
empathy, kindness, being diligent etc
OP is doing fine, they just need to bang out A levels and not give up
With all due respect, this person is pursuing a degree where I really doubt they care about his textiles grade. Other than that all his grades are A/A* and I don’t understand why you people think this is good enough, not everyone applying for med school is gonna have 9s in everything. I feel as if this question about are my grades good enough wouldn’t even be asked if we stuck with A* to c grades, because A/A* look better on paper than 7 or 8

I didn't say it wasn't enough
I just meant that it was one of degrees where you can't assume what is enough for an average degree is enough for medicine
Reply 15
Original post by roseprincessx
but at the same time, your qualities and you as a person make you a good doctor
empathy, kindness, being diligent etc
OP is doing fine, they just need to bang out A levels and not give up

There are many applicants with these important qualities and better grades.

yes but those GCSE's scores are fine she's got nothing really to worry about as long as she's good at Science, Maths and English got a minimum of 5 A's and met the entry requirements needed then she is fine, with all due respect.
Original post by Maker
There are many applicants with these important qualities and better grades.

yeah how many of them??? hardly know anyone who is Mother Theresa and Albert Einstein two in one, I'm applying to med and I got worse grades than the OP, as long as they continues doing well gets predicted AAA, complete UCKAT get a good score on it and have a banging PS then they are most likely going to get offers, and OP is off to a good start rn.
Original post by fsoxnx
Here are my results:
Combined science ~ 99
Maths~8
English literature ~9
Geography~8
French~8
Art~5

Just don't tell the patients about you D in textiles:h: and you'll be fine
Reply 19
Original post by fsoxnx
Here are my results:
Combined science ~ 99
Maths~8
English literature ~9
Geography~8
French~8
Art~5

Your GCSEs are more than good enough, especially as you are likely to have contextual points if your school performed below average. The only thing you may struggle with is that some unis score 8 or 9 GCSEs, so you may drop down a little with this, but a good UKCAT score would mean you had many med schools to choose from.
Good luck

Latest

Trending

Trending