The Student Room Group

Should 16 year olds have the vote?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SuperHuman98
If 16 year olds are allowed to vote why not 15 year olds?

I think it’s best just to leave it at age 18 as a cap.

More needs to be done to increase the turnout among 18-22 year olds and then maybe we can think about going lower. At age 16 me and many others didn’t care much about political parties and elections.

Of course there are some politically active 16 year olds

Quick question, have your political ideals changed much since you were 16 by any chance?
Reply 21
No they would vote for whomever a big YouTuber told them to vote for
Original post by RichPiana
I think it’s fine as it is at 18. Gives people an extra couple of years to mature so that they can make more of an informed decision.

Gotcha! :sexface:
Original post by random_matt
No, and neither should they at 18.

What age then?
Original post by Rainfall
Some 16 year olds can make more better decisions than most adults ☕️ Don’t underestimate them.

Underestimate? how so?
Original post by Le Vagabond
What age then?

25+
only if property holders can vote twice
Underestimate? how so?

A lot of them are capable of making wise decisions but adults always want to disregard their views cause of their age. They should get a chance.
Reply 28
I'd like to say yes because when I was 16 I and a few of my friends were quite mature and very into politics but of course not every 16 years old is like that. Personally, I think a mini political test would be a great way to allow the mature 16-year-olds allowed to vote as if they pass, they can vote at 16 but if you fail then you'd have to wait until you are 18. Someone might say this is unfair but the test will help separate the serious 16-year-olds who are into politics and the ones who don't care.

It's just an idea by the way. Feel free to agree or disagree with me.
Why not 28, but 25? makes no sense kek

Why not 14 but 16? Makes no sense

25 I’d say is when most people have left uni, got a job and at least a modicum of life experience
Shouldn't we then pick an age where at least maturity is (not certain but a) given? like 24? maybe?

There is no age where maturity is a given.

Introducing an maturity measure or whatever would infringe on political freedoms.
Original post by random_matt
25+

fair enough
A lot of them are capable of making wise decisions but adults always want to disregard their views cause of their age. They should get a chance.

I mean sweety you have to give examples? such as?
Quick question, have your political ideals changed much since you were 16 by any chance?

That is a very interesting question.

I am 19 and I can say that I now know a 100x more about political ideologies,views,concepts etc (might be because of a level politics).

At age 16 I didn’t know enough to actually have political ideals, and I would probably just vote Labour or Lib Dem for the sake of it.

Now as a 19 year old my ideal is just to vote for the MP who I think was best with campaigning and who’s policies are best for me and also if the current one is doing a good job
Original post by Phyx
I'd like to say yes because when I was 16 I and a few of my friends were quite mature and very into politics but of course not every 16 years old is like that. Personally, I think a mini political test would be a great way to allow the mature 16-year-olds allowed to vote as if they pass, they can vote at 16 but if you fail then you'd have to wait until you are 18. Someone might say this is unfair but the test will help separate the serious 16-year-olds who are into politics and the ones who don't care.

It's just an idea by the way. Feel free to agree or disagree with me.

Well this argument has been proposed before but vehemently opposed by many. For the following reasons:

kids who grow up in poorer backgrounds, are often less aware of how civil processes work, are also more preoccupied with issues at home related to poverty etc.

This is severely going to affect who's gonna vote, and which demographic is most likely to be represented. imo I'm glad this isn't an option, and it should never be one tbh.
Original post by Davij038
Why not 14 but 16? Makes no sense

25 I’d say is when most people have left uni, got a job and at least a modicum of life experience

fair enough
Original post by _gcx
There is no age where maturity is a given.

Introducing an maturity measure or whatever would infringe on political freedoms.

Totally agreed tbh
I mean sweety you have to give examples? such as?

Well we’re talking about voting aren’t we...?
Well we’re talking about voting aren’t we...?

I mean yh (T_T) i get that, but you said we underestimate them, in voting yes i agree, but what sort of accomplishment can 16 yr olds do which society can favourably look on?

From the top of my head, i can say that in the last few years the number of under 18s seeking employment has increased, especially in zero hour contracts during Christmas and summer.

What other thing can you suggest?
Original post by emmataco
only if property holders can vote twice

wait (0_0) i just seen this comment

Why?

you want to create a new feudalism ? (¬_¬) heh?

Quick Reply