The Student Room Group

I dont know what path to go down in.....

Hey there!

So i had just received an email from a school that is possibly willing to accept me into sixth form with Maths, Business and English Language.

I was devastated that i couldn't do A levels when i received my GCSE results and my parents were upset and angry at me but now that i possibly have the chance to do a levels - I dont know if i should do them.
I got a 4 in maths (which i dont understand how i got that as i really do enjoy maths) - I would say im around a 6 student for maths and i can easily understand maths id say (if its explained properly).

After thinking about it, i feel like BTECs could be the better route for me. Im thinking about doing Business Level 3 Extended Certificate, Level 3 Extended Certificate Computer Science and for my 3rd BTEC im not completely sure what i want to do.

I just dont know whether i should do BTEC or A levels at this point - everyone thinks im going to struggle a lot since i got a 4 in maths but im 100% a person who can do way better in maths than a 4.

Please help! - My mind is just confused and lost at this point

Apparently BTECs are classed as being for dumb students/classed lower in uni's and dont open that many paths for you.

PS: At the moment, i dont know what i want to do after college or sixth form

Scroll to see replies

Definitely do A-Levels in my opinion. Universities require A-Levels for many courses and BTECs are less credible than A-Levels. BTEC Business and Computer Science are honestly not worth it.

Also I would strongly recommend you to go on a Russell Group university's website (Nottingham Uni, just as an example) and look through the courses A-Z. Then, cross off all the subjects you are sure you DO NOT want to do. Then, make a list of subjects that sound interesting and that you might like doing at Uni. Look into those subjects and see if they make you excited or not (read the course content and description), if they do then look at the required A-Levels. Then compare the ones you will be doing (I hope) when you join that Sixth Form.

Any more questions please ask :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by TheProctor
Definitely do A-Levels in my opinion. Universities require A-Levels for many courses and BTECs are less credible than A-Levels. BTEC Business and Computer Science are honestly not worth it.

Also I would strongly recommend you to go on a Russell Group university's website (Nottingham Uni, just as an example) and look through the courses A-Z. Then, cross off all the subjects you are sure you DO NOT want to do. Then, make a list of subjects that sound interesting and that you might like doing at Uni. Look into those subjects and see if they make you excited or not (read the course content and description), if they do then look at the required A-Levels. Then compare the ones you will be doing (I hope) when you join that Sixth Form.

Any more questions please ask :smile:

Hey!

Just wanna start off by saying, thank you very much for the response. I greatly do appreciate it!

With A levels, I must say I am extremely worried to mess up or get bad grades in them - I’ve seen countless times of people getting some amazing results in GCSEs but then just doing extremely bad in A levels. - Which results in most of the time of them having to retake their A levels.
I was reading a couple posts here in TSR and apparently BTECs are almost the same as A level but just for someone who finds is less stressful due to exams.
As someone who has got a 4 in maths and seeing people who have got like an A* in GCSEs and failing A levels just makes me think how hard it might be for me the transition
In addition to that, the fact that’s its September 9th (I could possibly be behind on a couple of days) - Making me have to catch up on stuff that people might of already learnt.

For Maths and Business - I’m happy with those subjects. However, I do believe that I may or may not enjoy English Language - I kinda wanted to take Computer Science as an A Level but sadly the sixth form that I **could** be going to, doesn’t do it as a subject for A level.

I do believe that doing A levels does open more doors for you but I just don’t know - It’s so difficult for me to decide at this point. After reading what people have been saying about a level and BTECs it makes my decision even more harder now. I was so confident on wanting to do A levels ever since I was doing my GCSEs but why have I suddenly changed my opinion....I truly don’t know.

The thing that makes it even worse for me is that I don’t even know what I want to do after college or sixth form.

sorry for the rant....
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Dan192
Hey there!

So i had just received an email from a school that is possibly willing to accept me into sixth form with Maths, Business and English Language.

Original post by Dan192

After thinking about it, i feel like BTECs could be the better route for me. Im thinking about doing Business Level 3 Extended Certificate, Level 3 Extended Certificate Computer Science and for my 3rd BTEC im not completely sure what i want to do.

PS: At the moment, i dont know what i want to do after college or sixth form

BTEC Computer Science
BTEC Business
A level Maths

^ This would be a great combination!

Would get you give you a wide range of options for university e.g.Computer Science, Economics, Business / Management, Finance, IT / ITMB etc.

Original post by Dan192

Apparently BTECs are classed as being for dumb students/classed lower in uni's and dont open that many paths for you.

This is not true, I did a Computing BTEC Extended Diploma (no A levels) and graduated from a top 30 uni (BSc) and a top 10 uni (MSc) in Computer Science.
Reply 4
Original post by yt7777
BTEC Computer Science
BTEC Business
A level Maths

^ This would be a great combination!

Would get you give you a wide range of options for university e.g.Computer Science, Economics, Business / Management, Finance, IT / ITMB etc.

This is not true, I did a Computing BTEC Extended Diploma (no A levels) and graduated from a top 30 uni (BSc) and a top 10 uni (MSc) in Computer Science.

Hi thanks for the response

Wouldn’t it be hard to go to a school to Study A Level Maths and then after that go to a College to then study your BTECs?

Also, is BTEC Business Level 3 Extended Certificate classedas One a Level or three a levels? - it’s so confusing lol
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5

This is so not true.

BTEC Computer Science/IT is accepted by most universities, only a few that don't. Even Oxford will accept it when combined with A level Maths, which is something the OP could do as they are unsure of their 3rd choice.
Reply 6
Original post by Dan192
Hi thanks for the response

Wouldn’t it be hard to go to a school to Study A Level Maths and then after that go to a College to then study your BTECs?

Also, is BTEC Business Level 3 Extended Certificate classes as One a Level or three a levels? - it’s so confusing lol

Oh would this not be at the same school/college?

It's certainly worth considering, does the college not offer Maths A level as well?

As a guide:
BTEC Subsidiary Diploma = 1 A level
BTEC Extended Certificate = 1 A level
BTEC 90-credit Diploma = 1.5 A levels
BTEC Diploma = 2 A levels
BTEC Extended Diploma = 3 A levels
Reply 7
Original post by yt7777
Oh would this not be at the same school/college?

It's certainly worth considering, does the college not offer Maths A level as well?

As a guide:
BTEC Subsidiary Diploma = 1 A level
BTEC Extended Certificate = 1 A level
BTEC 90-credit Diploma = 1.5 A levels
BTEC Diploma = 2 A levels
BTEC Extended Diploma = 3 A levels

Nah, it wouldn’t be the same place. The college that I’m planning on doing the BTECs do Maths but they do not offer me a place to do A Level Maths.

Theres a school that is possibly willing to offer me a place to do A levels Maths, Business and English Language. Key word: Possibly
Original post by Dan192
Hey!

Just wanna start off by saying, thank you very much for the response. I greatly do appreciate it!

With A levels, I must say I am extremely worried to mess up or get bad grades in them - I’ve seen countless times of people getting some amazing results in GCSEs but then just doing extremely bad in A levels. - Which results in most of the time of them having to retake their A levels.
I was reading a couple posts here in TSR and apparently BTECs are almost the same as A level but just for someone who finds is less stressful due to exams.
As someone who has got a 4 in maths and seeing people who have got like an A* in GCSEs and failing A levels just makes me think how hard it might be for me the transition
In addition to that, the fact that’s its September 9th (I could possibly be behind on a couple of days) - Making me have to catch up on stuff that people might of already learnt.

For Maths and Business - I’m happy with those subjects. However, I do believe that I may or may not enjoy English Language - I kinda wanted to take Computer Science as an A Level but sadly the sixth form that I **could** be going to, doesn’t do it as a subject for A level.

I do believe that doing A levels does open more doors for you but I just don’t know - It’s so difficult for me to decide at this point. After reading what people have been saying about a level and BTECs it makes my decision even more harder now. I was so confident on wanting to do A levels ever since I was doing my GCSEs but why have I suddenly changed my opinion....I truly don’t know.

The thing that makes it even worse for me is that I don’t even know what I want to do after college or sixth form.

sorry for the rant....

1. Try not to look at others and formulate an opinion about how well YOU are going to do. People have a tendency to view things negatively, and the problem with that is that not only will that make you miserable but also make you see it everywhere around you - just like hearing your name over and over again in a crowd of people. It's a natural human instinct.

2. Getting a 4 is okay - failure is an opportunity for growth. Don't forget that.

3. Missing a few days is fine - you will catch up pretty easily.

Also, very few people are certain of what to do starting their ALevels, and those who say they are are likely confused - either just mindlessly selecting or getting told to do a course by their parents. Choosing your degree takes a lot of work and research - speaking to teachers, visiting Open Days, speaking to Undergrads, researching potential career outcomes, reading course syllabuses and looking into what you might be doing
If you still have doubts let me know :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Dan192
Nah, it wouldn’t be the same place. The college that I’m planning on doing the BTECs do Maths but they do not offer me a place to do A Level Maths.

Theres a school that is possibly willing to offer me a place to do A levels Maths, Business and English Language. Key word: Possibly

So have you been given the option to do A level Maths somewhere?

You could push the college to offer you a place for A level Maths and if you show them a letter of acceptance from another school then they might be more prepared to listen to you. Say that its the only place that offers both A level Maths and the BTECs you want to do.

In terms of getting into uni, Business BTEC vs Business A level wont make a difference, unis wont have a preference and unless you want to do an English degree then taking English A level would be essentially pointless.

Computer Science BTEC is great, it'll give you sound technical skills and will be good prep if you wanted to take a Computer Science degree and goes well with Maths A level.
Reply 10
Original post by yt7777
So have you been given the option to do A level Maths somewhere?

You could push the college to offer you a place for A level Maths and if you show them a letter of acceptance from another school then they might be more prepared to listen to you. Say that its the only place that offers both A level Maths and the BTECs you want to do.

In terms of getting into uni, Business BTEC vs Business A level wont make a difference, unis wont have a preference and unless you want to do an English degree then taking English A level would be essentially pointless.

Computer Science BTEC is great, it'll give you sound technical skills and will be good prep if you wanted to take a Computer Science degree and goes well with Maths A level.

I really would like to do A level Maths and Business along side Compuer Science BTEC so badly now.

The college that does BTEC I know will not let me do Maths for A level I’m pretty sure so I’m stuck in a position that I don’t know what to do....

I know that I won’t want to do a English degree - I just chose it cause that’s the only subject that the school that offered me a place at sixth form I might enjoy
Reply 11
I'm doing A level history, A Level English Literature and BTEC Health And Social Subsidiary Diploma. You could try a mixture of a levels/BTECS?? BTEC is not for dumb students at all, some people just tell themselves that to make themselves feel better and smarter than everyone.
Reply 12
1. Try not to look at others and formulate an opinion about how well YOU are going to do. People have a tendency to view things negatively, and the problem with that is that not only will that make you miserable but also make you see it everywhere around you - just like hearing your name over and over again in a crowd of people. It's a natural human instinct.

2. Getting a 4 is okay - failure is an opportunity for growth. Don't forget that.

3. Missing a few days is fine - you will catch up pretty easily.

Also, very few people are certain of what to do starting their ALevels, and those who say they are are likely confused - either just mindlessly selecting or getting told to do a course by their parents. Choosing your degree takes a lot of work and research - speaking to teachers, visiting Open Days, speaking to Undergrads, researching potential career outcomes, reading course syllabuses and looking into what you might be doing
If you still have doubts let me know :smile:

Honestly, If I was to fail A level Maths or any of my a levels. I would genuinely be devastated.

Im looking at courses that I might enjoy in Uni and most of them you need a minimum of an A in Maths at A-Level which sounds really hard for someone who has got a 4 in GCSE’s. Seems like I’ll be spending the rest of my 2 years revising every single day and being possibly frustrated on not knowing how to do certain questions or topics.
Dont get me wrong though, I do enjoy maths but I do feel like I am behind than everyone who does A Level Maths
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by KimY5t
I'm doing A level history, A Level English Literature and BTEC Health And Social Subsidiary Diploma. You could try a mixture of a levels/BTECS?? BTEC is not for dumb students at all, some people just tell themselves that to make themselves feel better and smarter than everyone.

Do you do A level and BTECs in the same school? I’m wanting to do A level and BTEC now but the thing is, it will be in 2 different locations due to me doing BTEC in a college and then an A Level in a school which I don’t think is possible
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Dan192
I really would like to do A level Maths and Business along side Compuer Science BTEC so badly now.

The college that does BTEC I know will not let me do Maths for A level I’m pretty sure so I’m stuck in a position that I don’t know what to do....

I know that I won’t want to do a English degree - I just chose it cause that’s the only subject that the school that offered me a place at sixth form I might enjoy

What else do the college offer for either BTEC or A level? Link me the colleges website if you want and I'd be happy to take a look what other subjects would go well?

Maths would be the ideal option as some of the top computer science degrees would ask for it and some economics or management degrees too, but it depends what route you'd want to take after college.

Business and Computer Science BTECs are also ideal choices if you take a degree apprenticeship route, usually companies have IT or Business pathways so you'd be very well set up if you were to choose a higher/degree apprenticeship.
Reply 15
Original post by yt7777
What else do the college offer for either BTEC or A level? Link me the colleges website if you want and I'd be happy to take a look what other subjects would go well?

Maths would be the ideal option as some of the top computer science degrees would ask for it and some economics or management degrees too, but it depends what route you'd want to take after college.

Business and Computer Science BTECs are also ideal choices if you take a degree apprenticeship route, usually companies have IT or Business pathways so you'd be very well set up if you were to choose a higher/degree apprenticeship.

I’ve pmed a link to you of the college
Reply 16
Original post by Dan192
Do you do A level and BTECs in the same school? I’m wanting to do A level and BTEC now but the thing is, it will be in 2 different locations due to me doing BTEC in a college and then an A Level in a school which I don’t think is possible

Yep all in the same college, the best college in my area
Reply 17
Original post by KimY5t
Yep all in the same college, the best college in my area

I guess you got lucky then :smile:
where are you located if you don’t mind me asking?
Reply 18
Original post by Dan192
I guess you got lucky then :smile:
where are you located if you don’t mind me asking?

I'm in Liverpool but my college is near St Helens.
Reply 19
Original post by yt7777

At the school that is possibly offering me a placement to do A level Maths and Business does ICT Single Awards (also known as BTEC I’m assuming). However, ICT is useless lol. It’s really useless

Quick Reply

Latest