The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Which Campus/College Should I Choose?

Hi,
I've narrowed my choices down to Vanbrugh on the West or Constantine or Langwith on the East Campus. I'm going to be studying law and the law school is on the East Campus so I'm not sure if that's a big deal. Another point to consider is that if I was in Vanbrugh I would have ensuite but in Constantine/Langwith I wouldn't because I don't have that kind of money lol. So considering these points and anything else relevant like the type of people and social life, which one should I pick?
Current student at York! Whatever college people get in they always end up loving it so don’t worry too much - I would say the room type is pretty important so if you want an ensuite then Vanbrugh might be better (although I shared a bathroom and it’s not bad at all). I lived with a girl in first year who lived on west but did law on east and she had no issues - buses are really frequent (7 mins in term time) and tbh the walk isn’t too far in nice weather either :smile:
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by BlueEyedGirl_
Current student at York! Whatever college people get in they always end up loving it so don’t worry too much - I would say the room type is pretty important so if you want an ensuite then Vanbrugh might be better (although I shared a bathroom and it’s not bad at all). I lived with a girl in first year who lived on west but did law on east and she had no issues - buses are really frequent (7 mins in term time) and tbh the walk isn’t too far in nice weather either :smile:

Ah great what do you study and do you enjoy the university in general? That's good to know regarding the college, I've just read some horror stories online (which probably aren't even accurate:biggrin:) so it's making me panic about what to chose. I think I would prefer an ensuite but it's not the most important factor, especially that you're only sharing with 3 others max at Constantine and Langwith! I quite like walking as well so that wouldn't particularly bother me as long as it's not tipping down with rain!
Original post by zweeden99
Ah great what do you study and do you enjoy the university in general? That's good to know regarding the college, I've just read some horror stories online (which probably aren't even accurate:biggrin:) so it's making me panic about what to chose. I think I would prefer an ensuite but it's not the most important factor, especially that you're only sharing with 3 others max at Constantine and Langwith! I quite like walking as well so that wouldn't particularly bother me as long as it's not tipping down with rain!

I do Politics and yeah I love the uni! It was my firm and I still love it as much as day 1. There definitely are some horror stories but I think every uni has them and they’re very rare :smile: yeah completely understandable to want an ensuite, so fingers crossed for one for you! I found myself walking quite a bit in first and second year but tbh more out of my own personal preference - bikes are also popular and buses are frequent too :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by BlueEyedGirl_
I do Politics and yeah I love the uni! It was my firm and I still love it as much as day 1. There definitely are some horror stories but I think every uni has them and they’re very rare :smile: yeah completely understandable to want an ensuite, so fingers crossed for one for you! I found myself walking quite a bit in first and second year but tbh more out of my own personal preference - bikes are also popular and buses are frequent too :smile:

Nice politics was actually something I considered doing too. Glad you're still enjoying it now, it makes me more confident because I was lucky to get a place through adjustment so I actually haven't seen the university yet in person. I was considering a bike too as I like that equally as much as walking. I'll see what options I have when I come to apply but after what you have said I'm too fussed where I end up now! :smile:
Original post by zweeden99
Nice politics was actually something I considered doing too. Glad you're still enjoying it now, it makes me more confident because I was lucky to get a place through adjustment so I actually haven't seen the university yet in person. I was considering a bike too as I like that equally as much as walking. I'll see what options I have when I come to apply but after what you have said I'm too fussed where I end up now! :smile:

Yeah if I’m being honest, West isn’t the prettiest campus (built in the 1960s so a lot of grey concrete!) but east is lovely and they’re slowly making improvements to west :smile: both campuses have lots of bike racks and they’re provided right by accommodation too so if you do go for a bike then it’ll be easy to get around. I’m sure you’ll love wherever you end up, I hope you have a great time at york!
I just got accepted for 2018 September.

Any advice? :smile:
I think it narrows down to which one you want more; ensuite or convenience of living near your department.

East campus do have nicer rooms in my opinion, but everyone I know who lives in Vanbrugh liked it. I've lived on both east and west campus (during the same year) with my department being on west and have to say the distance isn't a big deal from east to west (and vice versa) because it's a short walk, and the buses run frequently between both campuses. I would say one bonus of east is that the local supermarket Nisa is better because it is open longer and doesn't close early on Sundays, but if you're doing your shopping online then that doesn't matter lol

Im sure you'll have a good time regardless of whichever one you pick :smile:
Original post by tiffycakes
I think it narrows down to which one you want more; ensuite or convenience of living near your department.

East campus do have nicer rooms in my opinion, but everyone I know who lives in Vanbrugh liked it. I've lived on both east and west campus (during the same year) with my department being on west and have to say the distance isn't a big deal from east to west (and vice versa) because it's a short walk, and the buses run frequently between both campuses. I would say one bonus of east is that the local supermarket Nisa is better because it is open longer and doesn't close early on Sundays, but if you're doing your shopping online then that doesn't matter lol

Im sure you'll have a good time regardless of whichever one you pick :smile:

Sounds like I made the right choice of choosing an East campus college! :smile:
Hi! I'm starting York in September as a medical student! I have a place at Halifax college but I am hearing so many mixed things about it. I have heard that Langwith is really good and social. So do you think it would be worth swapping rooms with someone in Langwith. Is the commute long?
Original post by kiman2407
Hi! I'm starting York in September as a medical student! I have a place at Halifax college but I am hearing so many mixed things about it. I have heard that Langwith is really good and social. So do you think it would be worth swapping rooms with someone in Langwith. Is the commute long?

Hi, sorry if this is not directed at me but I felt I could give my 2 cents since I have lived in Halifax for a term.

My en-suite had a silverfish problem which is not uncommon in en-suite Halifax rooms. If you don't mind silverfish then Halifax is actually pretty amazing in terms of the events and support they have there. I have friends who loved it and those are the people who don't care much about silverfish (which is pretty much all of them lol). However, I did temporarily stay in a shared bathroom in Halifax and didn't discover any silverfish there (to be fair, I never looked down for long periods of time in there) so it might only be in en-suites.

Langwith is really good in terms of accommodation because it is a newer. I'm not sure what you mean by social, I haven't found Langwith to be anti-social in general, it hosts it own events from time to time and it has two other colleges on either side of it so you're close to any friends you make from east campus.

From the map from the uni, it looks like the department is somewhere behind/next to Alcuin so from Halifax you can catch UB1 to the stop after heslington hall (I forgot what it is called) and do a bit of walking, which will maybe take 10 minutes or if you're walking the whole way walking which may take about 20-25 maybe? It will be about 10 minutes or so by bike I think.. From Langwith, you can catch 66/66A to the library stop, and walk the rest which shouldn't take longer than 10 minutes.

In my opinion I would swap to Langwith if you can find someone willing to swap as it will be easier to commute, especially in the winter because UB1 stops around 7pm but if you have/buy a bike then it's not that big a deal. Halifax is not the ****-hole everyone portrays it to be but it's definitely not the best accommodation at the uni.

It's ultimately up to you and your preferences! :smile:

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me :smile:
Hi, sorry if this is not directed at me but I felt I could give my 2 cents since I have lived in Halifax for a term.

My en-suite had a silverfish problem which is not uncommon in en-suite Halifax rooms. If you don't mind silverfish then Halifax is actually pretty amazing in terms of the events and support they have there. I have friends who loved it and those are the people who don't care much about silverfish (which is pretty much all of them lol). However, I did temporarily stay in a shared bathroom in Halifax and didn't discover any silverfish there (to be fair, I never looked down for long periods of time in there) so it might only be in en-suites.

Langwith is really good in terms of accommodation because it is a newer. I'm not sure what you mean by social, I haven't found Langwith to be anti-social in general, it hosts it own events from time to time and it has two other colleges on either side of it so you're close to any friends you make from east campus.

From the map from the uni, it looks like the department is somewhere behind/next to Alcuin so from Halifax you can catch UB1 to the stop after heslington hall (I forgot what it is called) and do a bit of walking, which will maybe take 10 minutes or if you're walking the whole way walking which may take about 20-25 maybe? It will be about 10 minutes or so by bike I think.. From Langwith, you can catch 66/66A to the library stop, and walk the rest which shouldn't take longer than 10 minutes.

In my opinion I would swap to Langwith if you can find someone willing to swap as it will be easier to commute, especially in the winter because UB1 stops around 7pm but if you have/buy a bike then it's not that big a deal. Halifax is not the ****-hole everyone portrays it to be but it's definitely not the best accommodation at the uni.

It's ultimately up to you and your preferences! :smile:

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me :smile:

Thank you so much!!!! This has really helped me a lot!! I feel like I would get used to the silverfish but insects in general do make me squirm a little :colondollar:
Thank you so much!!!! This has really helped me a lot!! I feel like I would get used to the silverfish but insects in general do make me squirm a little :colondollar:

Hey,

I'm glad I could help!! if you have any questions feel free to PM me :smile:
Hey,

I'm glad I could help!! if you have any questions feel free to PM me :smile:

Hey!! So I havent had any luck swapping with anyone for Langwith but there is someone willing to swap with me at Constantine College! Do you think this is something I should consider with regards to the commute to the HYMS building??
Hey!! So I havent had any luck swapping with anyone for Langwith but there is someone willing to swap with me at Constantine College! Do you think this is something I should consider with regards to the commute to the HYMS building??

Heyy,
if you're determined to go east then go for it! if I were in your position I would swap with the person interested from Constantine as it is easier to swap an east college with another east college if you really want langwith (no guarantee though) than it is for Halifax to east if that makes sense? I found it so hard to get anyone from east to swap to Halifax with me last year so I learnt that the hard way haha

There's a Constantine stop that both 66A and UB1 go to so it wouldn't have a massive impact on the commute, it would maybe add 2 mins max overall depending on how many people are at the stop and/or buying tickets into town so I wouldn't consider it too much.
(edited 5 years ago)
Heyy,
if you're determined to go east then go for it! if I were in your position I would swap with the person interested from Constantine as it is easier to swap an east college with another east college if you really want langwith (no guarantee though) than it is for Halifax to east if that makes sense? I found it so hard to get anyone from east to swap to Halifax with me last year so I learnt that the hard way haha

There's a Constantine stop that both 66A and UB1 go to so it wouldn't have a massive impact on the commute, it would maybe add 2 mins max overall depending on how many people are at the stop and/or buying tickets into town so I wouldn't consider it too much.

Thank you so much!! You have been so helpful!! Unfortunately I still haven't found anyone to swap with :frown:
So if there is anyone who wants to swap from Langwith or Constantine, I have a standard ensuite at Halifax. Its a 44 week let and is self-catered!!
Someone come through plssss
Thank you so much!! You have been so helpful!! Unfortunately I still haven't found anyone to swap with :frown:
So if there is anyone who wants to swap from Langwith or Constantine, I have a standard ensuite at Halifax. Its a 44 week let and is self-catered!!
Someone come through plssss

I doubt you'll get anyone wanting to swap at this point! Most who got Langwith and Constantine had those as their top choices, it seems. I haven't come across anyone unhappy about being put in Langwith.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending