The Student Room Group

Obsession with Losing Virginity

I have been reading some threads here on this forum and can see a lot of youngsters just want to loose their virginity and get over with it, like its a plague. Why are they scared of remaining virgin. Seriously! what is up with that? Does loosing virginity give people medal of achievement in their social circle that you will miss out if you remain virgin or what? Staying virgin for long is portrayed like its a bad thing. What!!..
Reply 1
*losing

And it's because sex is fun. So why not have it?
Reply 2
It's a bit weird. I guess lots of them associate it with coming of age. I was never that bothered, personally.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
I find it baffling why anyone really cares about it.
Reply 4
I am talking about when people start worrying and portray it as a bad thing if they remain virgin in their 20's or later and start thinking what other people might say or think.
Just remember - if you take someone's virginity, you become a virgin.
Reply 6
Losing your virginity is a form of validation for some people. If you remain a virgin, not by choice, beyond the age at which most people have had such experience , you start asking yourself "Why does no one want to be intimate with me?" "Why can't I form the connections that other people can?" "Do I even deserve to be loved?"
(edited 5 years ago)
Some people choose to remain virgins purely for personal reasons. Other want to lose it. Doesnt really matter in the end because you lose it when you want to lose it. Some lose early, other lose it late.
cause then you get to sit at the cool kids table at lunch
Original post by Sataris
Losing your virginity is a form of validity for some people. If you remain a virgin, not by choice, beyond the age at which most people have had such experience , you start asking yourself "Why does no one want to be intimate with me?" "Why can't I form the connections that other people can?" "Do I even deserve to be loved?"

I agree with this. Believe it's the most accurate explanation.
Reply 10
Original post by Sataris
Losing your virginity is a form of validation for some people. If you remain a virgin, not by choice, beyond the age at which most people have had such experience , you start asking yourself "Why does no one want to be intimate with me?" "Why can't I form the connections that other people can?" "Do I even deserve to be loved?"

Never really thought of it as deeply as that, I guess because it never occurred to me in those terms personally. That's quite sad.
Reply 11
Original post by Humble Ahm
I have been reading some threads here on this forum and can see a lot of youngsters just want to loose their virginity and get over with it, like its a plague. Why are they scared of remaining virgin. Seriously! what is up with that? Does loosing virginity give people medal of achievement in their social circle that you will miss out if you remain virgin or what? Staying virgin for long is portrayed like its a bad thing. What!!..

I don't agree that it's a bad thing. But it's not a good thing either. So don't be that person that's the moral police saying losing your virginity early is bad. (Obviously I don't think minors should be having s*x, for development reasons). I lost mine at 21 but virginity literally just means you haven't had sex. It's not special. Much more should come after, what makes those less important? F8ck the virginity stigma altogether.
Original post by Bio 7
I find it baffling why anyone really cares about it.

Same.

Original post by Ray_Shadows
cause then you get to sit at the cool kids table at lunch

👌😂
Reply 13
Let me clarify. I am talking about people who worry so much about staying virgin, and from their way of explanation it seems like they are afraid of staying virgin in their 20's or later in life, thinking what other people might say, its not for their personal satisfaction but rather checklist of things they want to get over with as quickly as possible because staying virgin in 20's or later seems awkward to them. This clearly shows that its more of a social/peer pressure than anything else.
Reply 14
Let me clarify. I am talking about people who worry so much about staying virgin, and from their way of explanation it seems like they are afraid of staying virgin in their 20's or later in life, thinking what other people might say, its not for their personal satisfaction but rather checklist of things they want to get over with as quickly as possible because staying virgin in 20's or later seems awkward to them. This clearly shows that its more of a social/peer pressure than anything else.

I don't get either way. Never felt a pressure. Never felt good about being a virgin.

My point was either way is wrong and pointless.

this is actually true
It's bizarre how that's a thing. I'm in year 13 and I've heard people "showing off" of sorts about losing their virginity since year 10-- they were WAY too young at 15/16 back then.
I guess it really is just a way of initiation. At least if you get a STD, you have proof, because it was "worth it just for fun" without getting tested beforehand.

It really should be something more special, such as doing it with someone you genuinely like (or at least for the first time).
From what I've gathered, I'm pretty much the only virgin left in the year (about 75 of us) and that's by choice-- mainly because I'm a lesbian who hasn't come out yet, but that's a whole different story!!! XD
(edited 5 years ago)
Some people feel llike they don't fir in if they haven't lost it especially when they get older and all their friends are telling them about how good it is, then they take the pi*s out of you because you can't loose it. Not gonna lie but there is a lot of pressure of both lads and girls now. It is a load of bull****
i want to have sex.........................why is it sooooooooooo f*cking hard to find an aneastically pleasing man ...............
Original post by momomo44
i want to have sex.........................why is it sooooooooooo ****ing hard to find an aneastically pleasing man ...............

Yup

Quick Reply

Latest