The Student Room Group

Is it possible to do maths A level in one year?

I want to do maths and further maths for a level but in my school you have to do maths a level in the first year and then further maths in the 2nd year. I don't know if i'm capable of achieving high grades if I do the whole maths a level in one year and then further maths in the next year especially with exams becoming really hard now. Should I just go for it or just not do further maths?

Scroll to see replies

Go for it
Go for it, many people do it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Further maths is really difficult in A-Level and very few people get stellar grades in it. Stick with something else imo, universities will often treat all A-levels as if they are all equal whether its A-Level further maths/ physics or BTEC Finance/ IT. Choose wisely, I made the mistake of choosing 4 very demanding subjects because I thought I was smart enough to be able to do anything - my gcse's were impeccable. Its a nice subject but dont expect special treatment for doing it - be smart and think about what is next after A-Levels.

fyi: I had to take a gap year and do my a-levels over 3 years.
Reply 4
Original post by .unknown
I want to do maths and further maths for a level but in my school you have to do maths a level in the first year and then further maths in the 2nd year. I don't know if i'm capable of achieving high grades if I do the whole maths a level in one year and then further maths in the next year especially with exams becoming really hard now. Should I just go for it or just not do further maths?

You’ll be learning the same amount of maths and going at the same pace if you learn maths/FM in parallel or if you learn them sequentially. So this shouldn’t be a reason to not choose FM.
Reply 5
Yep, it's standard for those who take maths and further maths (I assume you did well at GCSE and didn't find it particularly taxing). I even did maths A2 and the whole of further maths in one year.
Reply 6
Original post by yoink
Further maths is really difficult in A-Level and very few people get stellar grades in it. Stick with something else imo, universities will often treat all A-levels as if they are all equal whether its A-Level further maths/ physics or BTEC Finance/ IT. Choose wisely, I made the mistake of choosing 4 very demanding subjects because I thought I was smart enough to be able to do anything - my gcse's were impeccable. Its a nice subject but dont expect special treatment for doing it - be smart and think about what is next after A-Levels.

fyi: I had to take a gap year and do my a-levels over 3 years.

The thing is further maths is highly recommended for the course I want to take in university. Also may I ask what other subjects you did? I'm planning to do physics maths further maths and Spanish.
Reply 7
Original post by math42
Yep, it's standard for those who take maths and further maths (I assume you did well at GCSE and didn't find it particularly taxing). I even did maths A2 and the whole of further maths in one year.

I'm in year 11 now but the lowest i've ever got in maths was an 8 so i'm pretty good at it. Should I perhaps teach myself some of the a level contents of maths whenever I have free time?
Reply 8
I'm in year 11 now but the lowest i've ever got in maths was an 8 so i'm pretty good at it. Should I perhaps teach myself some of the a level contents of maths whenever I have free time?

I wouldn't say that you need to trouble yourself with A-level maths during year 11, but doing some over next summer would certainly be reasonable.
Reply 9
Original post by math42
I wouldn't say that you need to trouble yourself with A-level maths during year 11, but doing some over next summer would certainly be reasonable.

Alright thanks
The thing is further maths is highly recommended for the course I want to take in university. Also may I ask what other subjects you did? I'm planning to do physics maths further maths and Spanish.

I did maths, physics, biology and further maths. After 3 years I managed to get A*ABB and am going to uni this year. What is really annoying is that I knew someone do 3 BTEC subjects something along the lines of IT, finance, and sociology and he went on to do computer science at Uni of Leeds whilst I was stuck having to retake a year because I didn't achieve AAA. I was given no special treatment for having to done Physics and Further maths which were both really challenging and they didnt care I did 4 A-Levels as opposed to 3.

I guess it depends on what you want to do at uni, but if you're set on doing further maths I would drop physics and stick with the 3 A-Levels. Trust me.
Original post by math42

You said you did the whole of maths A2 and further in a year, how did you find it? I'm in the same situation at the moment and I'm undecided whether I should take the whole A level or just an AS (still relevant for me). What do you think?
Reply 12
Original post by yoink
I did maths, physics, biology and further maths. After 3 years I managed to get A*ABB and am going to uni this year. What is really annoying is that I knew someone do 3 BTEC subjects something along the lines of IT, finance, and sociology and he went on to do computer science at Uni of Leeds whilst I was stuck having to retake a year because I didn't achieve AAA. I was given no special treatment for having to done Physics and Further maths which were both really challenging and they didnt care I did 4 A-Levels as opposed to 3.

I guess it depends on what you want to do at uni, but if you're set on doing further maths I would drop physics and stick with the 3 A-Levels. Trust me.

I can't drop physics as it is required for the course i wanna take. I think I might just do maths physics and spanish
Reply 13
Original post by Space 
You said you did the whole of maths A2 and further in a year, how did you find it? I'm in the same situation at the moment and I'm undecided whether I should take the whole A level or just an AS (still relevant for me). What do you think?

It was completely fine. I did spend loads of time on it, but I certainly could have gotten away with significantly less. I still had a reasonable amount of free time and it didn't really hurt my other subjects much (admittedly my grades in those were borderline, but had I slipped under said borders I'd have still gotten into uni).
Original post by yoink
Further maths is really difficult in A-Level and very few people get stellar grades in it.

Nah that's a lie.

About 60% of further maths students get A-A*

Only very capable students take the qualification, and people know exactly what they are getting into when they pick it up.

It's also not-impossible to just brute force past papers.

Its like the GCSE course so it is covered over 2 years
Original post by vicvic38
Nah that's a lie.

About 60% of further maths students get A-A*

Only very capable students take the qualification, and people know exactly what they are getting into when they pick it up.

It's also not-impossible to just brute force past papers.

I cant explain the statistic, maybe lots of kids from private schools pick it up and it's not available at some public schools. I don't know. All I know is that I went to a public school regarded as one of the best in my city (admittedly its not a big city, but not small either) and out of a further maths class of 20 only ~3/4 got A* or an A. Thats 15-20% that got at least an A.

A lot of kids also dropped it when going into year 2, as further maths back then was done over 2 years alongside normal maths, also over 2 years.
Reply 17
I've just started year 13 and I'm doing my maths the way your school does it. I'm doing maths, further maths, physics, eng lit. it's really not that hard, I say go for it. If you're looking at top unis for maths heavy degrees it will be very very advantageous. doing fm now will make your life in uni a lot easier. also doing 4 a levels is not that daunting, besides when you're doing maths and fm in this way it feels like you're only ever juggling 3 subjects at any one time.
Original post by math42
It was completely fine. I did spend loads of time on it, but I certainly could have gotten away with significantly less. I still had a reasonable amount of free time and it didn't really hurt my other subjects much (admittedly my grades in those were borderline, but had I slipped under said borders I'd have still gotten into uni).

Glad to hear you got into uni. I will probably end up doing the whole A-level course, just wanted to hear someone else's opinion. :smile:
Reply 19
Wow thanks you gave me hope. However I'm starting to think it's not worth taking further maths as a fourth a level as universities, even the top ones only care about 3 a levels.

Quick Reply

Latest