The Student Room Group

Rank these MSc Finance and Investment Course

I (an international student) am considering to study MSc Finance (and Investment) 2019/2020. I am considering these programmes as I've limited budget of fee and I do not want these to exceed £30,000.

University of Bath: MSc Finance
University of Leeds: Finance and Investment MSc
Durham University: MSc Finance and Investment
Lancaster University: MSc Advanced Financial Analysis
University of Exeter: MSc Finance and Investment
University of Manchester : MSc Finance

And if there are any other interesting choices, feel free to comment. Thank you
Have you considered Warwick? Their Economics related degrees are pretty good.
Also, which country are you from? Some uni have more of one country citizens than other (Warwick has many students from Africa compared to other), and some maybe “boring” if you’re used to, say Asian lifestyle, where shops and restaurants open through nights.
The course and the uni ranking for the ones you choose are mostly the same, and you can choose up to 5 choices so don’t bother rank it. Check the course materials, units you will be taking, professors teaching styles, how many exams do you have to take and when, the uni connections with other companies (so you will get a job easier), how many internships around you (reduce the amount of “fighting” you have to do).
See if you like one uni lifestyle, location, the halls (Durham as I heard has a hill and you have to climb up every time you go to uni, think about when it’s freezing). International students often prioritise the ranking too much, while it in fact does not mean that much. For a higher by 1 or 2 places in the ranking and doom your uni life because the uni is not modern enough, the faculty is too small or too few international student etc, is very unfortunate.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Arctic Kitten
Have you considered Warwick? Their Economics related degrees are pretty good.
Also, which country are you from? Some uni have more of one country citizens than other (Warwick has many students from Africa compared to other), and some maybe “boring” if you’re used to, say Asian lifestyle, where shops and restaurants open through nights.
The course and the uni ranking for the ones you choose are mostly the same, and you can choose up to 5 choices so don’t bother rank it. Check the course materials, units you will be taking, professors teaching styles, how many exams do you have to take and when, the uni connections with other companies (so you will get a job easier), how many internships around you (reduce the amount of “fighting” you have to do).
See if you like one uni lifestyle, location, the halls (Durham as I heard has a hill and you have to climb up every time you go to uni, think about when it’s freezing). International students often prioritise the ranking too much, while it in fact does not mean that much. For a higher by 1 or 2 places in the ranking and doom your uni life because the uni is not modern enough, the faculty is too small or too few international student etc, is very unfortunate.

I've looked at that and Oxbridge-related universities already, but I may not be able to afford that despite higher reputation. The courses are all similar.

Thanks
Original post by Prom317
I've looked at that and Oxbridge-related universities already, but I may not be able to afford that despite higher reputation. The courses are all similar.

Thanks

Lse does offer a lot of scholarships, even full scholarship as well, try it out, but I will warn you that it’s incredibly difficult to get in. Oxbridge is another level and they offer little scholarship.
Reply 4
Original post by Arctic Kitten
Lse does offer a lot of scholarships, even full scholarship as well, try it out, but I will warn you that it’s incredibly difficult to get in. Oxbridge is another level and they offer little scholarship.

I'm interested in LSE. The problem is, I may need to accept the offer before applying for scholarship and if I won't receive that, I and my family will not be able to pay full fee then. :frown::frown:
Original post by Prom317
I'm interested in LSE. The problem is, I may need to accept the offer before applying for scholarship and if I won't receive that, I and my family will not be able to pay full fee then. :frown::frown:

Still the chances of getting a scholarship are pretty high though the living fees in London are horrifying. I would say put LSE in as a choice, even if you’re not going there, put on your cv that you got an offer from LSE may increase the chances of internships.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending