The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kerrydouglas
As long as you applied before the 30 June deadline, you are guaranteed a place, so don't worry :smile: It's all done manually so it will take some time! (Source: I was an accomodation ambassador during my time at the uni!)

Really? I'd disagree... i did a wide range of subjects throughout my time at the university, and found this to be a completely ill evidenced claim about us! In every single lecture, every single year, there were several students in trackies & hoodies!

Just make sure you have clothes you are comfortable in - don't feel you need to dress as someone you're not! Lectures and tutorials are effort enough without getting all dressed up if you don't want to be! That being said, if that's your style, then go for it - I found that it was a very non-judgemental atmosphere in lectures and classes!

whilst i totally agree st andrews is very non-judgemental place, in my 4 years the ONLY times i saw an Arts or Humanities student in tracksuit bottoms and a hoodie for lectures were people who had just come from their sports societies ... i did see lots of physicists in old primark jeans and reebok trainers on a daily basis!
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by CollectiveSoul
whilst i totally agree st andrews is very non-judgemental place, in my 4 years the ONLY times i saw an Arts or Humanities student in tracksuit bottoms and a hoodie for lectures were people who had just come from their sports societies ... i did see lots of physicists in old primark jeans and reebok trainers on a daily basis!

I don't know anyone who spends that much time analysing what others wear to lectures XD

Wear whatever makes you comfortable. 99% of people couldn't care less what you wear.
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone had brought their freshers tickets and managed to get the Sinners and S-club events but changed their mind ... I really wanted to go but they'd sold out :frown: If yes, would anyone habe willing to sell them? (I can pay a bit more if necessary)

Also, what you do if you're not going to a freshers event? Because I don't want to sit in my dorm for the night :frown: x
Original post by abc_123_
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone had brought their freshers tickets and managed to get the Sinners and S-club events but changed their mind ... I really wanted to go but they'd sold out :frown: If yes, would anyone habe willing to sell them? (I can pay a bit more if necessary)

Also, what you do if you're not going to a freshers event? Because I don't want to sit in my dorm for the night :frown: x

Are you a member of the Class of 2022 page? There will be loads of people reselling throughout the week on there. Sinners tickets will also be available from sports clubs, so you can get in touch with them, or have a look on their facebook pages for info. There's most likely resales on the day/night of the events too. I'd recommend against offering to pay more for tickets - you will be ripped off.

If you're not going to the union event don't worry - you can still head to the union with others (and not everyone will be going to the events) for a drink if you fancy. Your halls will also have loads to do and also society events! You should download the Orientation app that has lists of almost every freshers event going on across the university & Societies - and also your welcome pack in halls with have a book with everything in it!

Most importantly though, enjoy yourself and have a fantastic freshers - I graduated just before the summer, and jeez I wish I was going back to freshers next week!
Original post by kerrydouglas
Are you a member of the Class of 2022 page?

Most importantly though, enjoy yourself and have a fantastic freshers - I graduated just before the summer, and jeez I wish I was going back to freshers next week!

Hi, thank you for your reply :smile: x

Do you mean a member of the page on Facebook? I just joined that yesterday (as I set up my Facebook account yesterday). Oh! I was worried that there wouldn't be much to do if you didn't sign up to the freshers events on the union page, but I'm not too worried now :smile:

Thank you so much, this has been really reassuring and good luck in your post-uni ventures!!! :smile:
Read a few posts about needing and buying a gown. Wondering is this was necessary,what for and where to buy it?
Original post by Revision3434
Read a few posts about needing and buying a gown. Wondering is this was necessary,what for and where to buy it?

Not necessary, but nice for taking part in pier walks & the goudie. Otherwise, if you're wanting to work as a Student Ambassador (volunteer for one year, paid for consecutive years) or join any of the chapel choirs you'd need one.

I got one as I worked as an ambassador, and wore it for some pier walks and then got some lovely photos done before I graduated with it.

If you choose to get one you can get them second hand on like ebay and such, or through the Students Association :smile:
What happens after the foam fight on raisin Monday? Are there any events in the evening? Just wondering because I might travel home Monday evening for the reading week:smile:
Original post by Mol_ly
What happens after the foam fight on raisin Monday? Are there any events in the evening? Just wondering because I might travel home Monday evening for the reading week:smile:

after your foam fight it is back to lectures :smile:

Thank you! I didn't realise there were lectures during the reading week?
How many rah's/ rich internationals do you see in St Andrews? I'd love to apply to the ScotGEM Programme when I've finished biochemistry but I'd be worried about fitting in as a relatively poor english student.
Original post by Mol_ly

sorry as in i just meant after the foam its back to normal... raisin weekend isn't organised by the uni or anything it's just kept alive by the students and tolerated by the uni :smile:
There's a little bit of everyone at this uni, and most friend groups are a mix of people from all types of backgrounds. But if you want to call people names based on their family's wealth, you may have a bit of a problem.
Original post by SaintsGrad
There's a little bit of everyone at this uni, and most friend groups are a mix of people from all types of backgrounds. But if you want to call people names based on their family's wealth, you may have a bit of a problem.

St Andrews attracts quite a few wealthy students, but so do other top universities (i.e. Oxbridge, Durham, etc.). Some flaunt it, others don't.

But you also have many who come from all kinds of backgrounds. There's definitely someone for everyone at St Andrews, just come with an open mind and join societies that interest you - you'll find your people. This advice goes for any other uni out there.

Original post by Mol_ly

Thankfully things changed over the last two years and raisin monday (for these two years at least) falls on the Monday of Independent Learning Week, so no classes :smile:
Original post by Rose_Greenthumb
I wondered that. I love the place to bits, my annual holiday there is always fabulous but do you not sometimes get cabin fever? I mean where do you shop for shoes?! And what about the transport links since you don't have a train station. I'm asking this but it's really not going to change my mind about the place.

I mean our train station is Leuchars and it's really not far on our busses. And sure there are some boring days but my friends at city universities have boring days too. Surprisingly for some when you get here, with all of the work and busy-ness shoe shopping isn't a massive deal. It has what you need, the only thing I will say is that supermarkets are bloody far away :/
Original post by sassygee1013
I mean our train station is Leuchars and it's really not far on our busses. And sure there are some boring days but my friends at city universities have boring days too. Surprisingly for some when you get here, with all of the work and busy-ness shoe shopping isn't a massive deal. It has what you need, the only thing I will say is that supermarkets are bloody far away :/

how are the supermarkets far away!? you have Tesco and Sainsbury in the centre, M&S, Aldi and Morrisons are really convenient for people who live in houses near there where it's cheaper to rent
how much does a pint cost?
Do people really go swimming naked at the beach?
Original post by yerselfesteem
how much does a pint cost?

Depends on where you go.

Original post by richardsmith
Do people really go swimming naked at the beach?

During May Dip yes apparently; other times, no not really

Latest

Trending

Trending