The Student Room Group

My first shift in fast food (mcdonalds)

So i'm starting my first shift in mcdonalds on sunday at 2:30. I'm absolutely terrified. I barely know anyone, I have crippling social anxiety and I don't really understand what I'm doing. So please answer my questions because I would really like to be put at ease.

1)Should I wear my uniform to the restaurant or get changed in the changing rooms?

2)Do tell them over the counter that I'm working or do I just go right through?

3)What exactly do I say when I tell them I'm working?

4)I had to ask for some new trousers because mine don't fit, will they just remember to give them to me or do I ask someone?Who do I ask?

5)What exactly will I be doing while training? Is there a certain order that everyone does it in or is it just random training on each area of the restaurant?

6)I haven't fully completed my orientation because I haven't done the second unit of training which the manager said might not work and if we have that problem we should go in and use the office computer, should I go in tomorrow to ask if I can do it there or should I just come in early on sunday and ask if I can do it then? Is an hour early too early?

7)Is "my buddy" the person that will be training me or just someone forced to walk around with me and introduce me to people?

8)Any advice on talking to the rest of the staff in mcdonalds?

Thank you so much if you helpfully answer these because honestly I'm panicking...:s-smilie:
Original post by Bxx_975

Right so the first thing to do is calm down and breathe. People start jobs everyday and you just be thrown in the deep end and left to it. You will be trained and supported.

I would wear your uniform in and then work out how other people do it. Talk to people about the fact that you're starting and they will guide you. Your buddy is probably there to answer your questions and guide you as well. What you will do will depend on a number of factors. Just stay clam, show your enthusiasm, ask questions and be prepared to learn and work hard.
1) Wear it there! It's much easier and depending on your store, the crew toilets can be a bit... exposed.

2) Tell them over the counter, if possible catch someone in a white shirt and red tie. They'll be expecting you, so don't panic.

3) Just that it's your first shift.

4) Probably one of the business mamagers, but any kind of manager will do.

5) Most likely you'll be running (getting fries and drinks for people's orders) or doing drinks. Neither are as hard as they sound, as long as it's not the lunch rush.

6) I still haven't completed mine. Not a good thing and might get in trouble for it soon, so I don't recommend following my example. I'd say turn up around 20 minutes early and tell whoever shows you to the crew room that you haven't done it. They'll advise you on what to do.

7)I wasn't buddied up with one person. A shift manager gave me a tour of the store, then a crew trainer showed me how to do drinks. After that, I was left to my own devices unless I needed help.

8) Just be yourself and don't stress about things. Most people don't want to be there and banter is the only thing that gets them through the day. It's hard work in a high pressure environment. Just try not to take offense if people snap at you or worry if you make a mistake and enjoy the jabs the crew will inevitably throw at each other. You'll eventually learn to tolerate even the cattiest of coworkers and make some great friends. Before my interview, my social anxiety was so bad I was basically a selective mute. While I'm still not the most confident person on earth and I'm one of the most quiet members of the crew, it's becoming easier to talk to people around me and even join in with the jokes and other chat. I actually really like the rest of the staff and look forward to my shifts throughout the rest of the week.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll do great :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Thank you so much! I had my first day last sunday and my second day was yesterday and I've actually found it really fun, I think I will enjoy it there. It's a lot of fun and a lot of people seem to have been there for a while. Do I get a new schedule after my first 2 weeks or do I just keep doing the shifts they gave me week by week?
Original post by Bxx_975
Thank you so much! I had my first day last sunday and my second day was yesterday and I've actually found it really fun, I think I will enjoy it there. It's a lot of fun and a lot of people seem to have been there for a while. Do I get a new schedule after my first 2 weeks or do I just keep doing the shifts they gave me week by week?

It's really good to hear you're enjoying your new job :smile: My branch is week by week! It's usually not until Friday for us, but your times for the following week will be put on your MySchedule page. If yours don't show up or you can't access the website, just email your store and they'll sort it out for you.
Reply 5
Okay oneeee last question almighty master of mcdonalds 😂 How do you clock in? And when do you do it, before you go to put your stuff away or after?
welcome to hell
Master of McDonald's. Classic. :wink:

Clocking in is done on a machine that someone should point out to you. Just press the "start shift" button and punch in your employee number.
There should be lockers in your crew room but you'll need your own lock and key.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by samonjiis
Master of McDonald's. Classic. :wink:

Clocking in is done on a machine that someone should point out to you. Just press the "start shift" button and punch in your employee number.
There should be lockers in your crew room but you'll need your own lock and key.

No but I mean do you put your stuff away and then clock in or clock in and then put your stuff away? I don't wanna look like a weirdo 😂
Reply 9
Original post by Jimbo Jones
welcome to hell

I'm so hopeful
Original post by Bxx_975
I'm so hopeful

don't worry, your life will get better later on (I used to work for burger king)
kiss kiss kiss xxx
Original post by Bxx_975
No but I mean do you put your stuff away and then clock in or clock in and then put your stuff away? I don't wanna look like a weirdo 😂

Oh, haha. I can't read at all (not surprising, I guess; I work at mcdonalds). Put your stuff away before you clock in. In theory, you shouldn't be in the crew room if you're clocked in; you're not working at that time.
Reply 12
I know this thread is kind of old but maybe someone can help me. How long did it take for you to he scheduled for your first shift? I had my welcome meeting about a week and a half ago and was told we might be starting on Monday (yesterday) but I've not been put on myschedule at all for this week or next. I've tried emailing when I might be put on shifts but no one responded to me
Original post by Abbs11
I know this thread is kind of old but maybe someone can help me. How long did it take for you to he scheduled for your first shift? I had my welcome meeting about a week and a half ago and was told we might be starting on Monday (yesterday) but I've not been put on myschedule at all for this week or next. I've tried emailing when I might be put on shifts but no one responded to me

I think you've probably had it resolved by now but I called them and they gave me my shifts then. Generally if you want to know something call them, I've found that with emails it's much slower.
I remember the days I worked at McDonald's.. quite fun actually
Reply 15
Will they inform me through the my schedule website when I will have my first shift?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending