The Student Room Group

Why do ordinary people think Jacob Rees Mogg speaks for them?

As per title.

Scroll to see replies

who the hell
Some 'ordinary people' thought Tommy Robinson spoke for them. Even more 'ordinary people' think that Jeremy Corbyn speaks for them. What exactly are you asking?
Because he understands the real life struggles of this world. The amount of times I've had to wait because my valet can't fix my cufflinks is honestly unbearable.
A posh man who doesn't pay tax who speaks for the working man.
(edited 5 years ago)
Because a really significant portion of poor people think that they're millionaires in waiting and as such, line up to vote for tax cuts for multi-nationals.
Original post by Andrew97
How dare you question this fine gentleman.

uggh, a bit of sick just came up in my mouth. Thanks for that.
Original post by Andrew97
How dare you question this fine gentleman.

Quite right. The scions of Eton cannot and should not be subjected to the humiliating public ordeal of 'questions'.
Reply 9
Because most ordinary people are dumb. He’s smart.
Original post by Johnathan94
Because a really significant portion of poor people think that they're millionaires in waiting and as such, line up to vote for tax cuts for multi-nationals.

Some truthiness there. Also though I just think a lot of people in England are still very deferential to what they perceive as upper class - that accent, the perfect suits, immaculate manners, etc. Basically you can be in charge of anything and get away with anything (as a man) if you adopt a foppish Eton accent, use Savile Row and speak in an amiable Queenly drawl.
Original post by 3121
Because most ordinary people are dumb. He’s smart.

So smart that when asked, he cannot for the life of him think how to deliver the Brexit that he has constantly demanded for several decades. Hmmm. You'd think he'd have had time to think about it.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Some truthiness there. Also though I just think a lot of people in England are still very deferential to what they perceive as upper class - that accent, the perfect suits, immaculate manners, etc. Basically you can be in charge of anything and get away with anything (as a man) if you adopt a foppish Eton accent, use Savile Row and speak in an amiable Queenly drawl.

And, in a very British way, you can do the exact opposite and achieve the same result, so long as the accent is still there. Grow your hair into a blonde mop, refuse to get dressed properly, put on four stone, shuffle around like a drunk who's just rolled out of bed and offend as many people as humanely possible. (to be fair, this could be me...)
So smart that when asked, he cannot for the life of him think how to deliver the Brexit that he has constantly demanded for several decades. Hmmm. You'd think he'd have had time to think about it.

I think JRM considers implementation beneath him. Implementation, in terms of detail, is what minions do. Or 'The Executive'. JRM's role is to wave his hand and see to it that 'it is done'.
Original post by Reality Check
(to be fair, this could be me...)

Complete with a dozen mistresses or so? :teehee:
I'll add Nigel Farage into this mix as well.
Complete with a dozen mistresses or so? :teehee:

I don't have the Hoare & Co. account to 'facilitate' this... I've a lowly hareem of three. (let's hope wifey doesn't read that...)

I can't say I have too much time for 'manners' myself, they're a world apart for things like decency and strength of character.

Boris Johnson is seen to be a man of manners but in reality he's a philandering, lying little toe-rag with the background of nasty little thug, not a statesman.

You're right about the deference to the upper classes though. Very different up here in Scotland though.
Original post by Johnathan94
I can't say I have too much time for 'manners' myself, they're a world apart for things like decency and strength of character.

Boris Johnson is seen to be a man of manners but in reality he's a philandering, lying little toe-rag with the background of nasty little thug, not a statesman.

You're right about the deference to the upper classes though. Very different up here in Scotland though.

It's also worth noting that in the main examples, Boris and Rees-Mogg, there's an element of fakery - Bojo's family are much less upper class than they pose and Rees-Mogg married into money and is the son of the former editor of the Times, so his family are Establishment posh but not really upper class, other than by marriage. So there are airs and graces and pretensions at work here, as is so often the case in the Vanity Fair farce that is much of Tory politics.

I assume you have your own class structure up in the gloomy glens. I recall seeing a programme not long ago about the upper classes inhabiting the New Town in Edinburgh and there were some extraordinarily long-lived Establishment families and top dogs there. Perhaps it's just a bit less visible in an everyday way in Scotland?
It's also worth noting that in the main examples, Boris and Rees-Mogg, there's an element of fakery - Bojo's family are much less upper class than they pose and Rees-Mogg married into money and is the son of the former editor of the Times, so his family are Establishment posh but not really upper class, other than by marriage. So there are airs and graces and pretensions at work here, as is so often the case in the Vanity Fair farce that is much of Tory politics.

I assume you have your own class structure up in the gloomy glens. I recall seeing a programme not long ago about the upper classes inhabiting the New Town in Edinburgh and there were some extraordinarily long-lived Establishment families and top dogs there. Perhaps it's just a bit less visible in an everyday way in Scotland?

This is spot on. The problem is that they fool 99.9% of people that they're 'people of quality' when, in fact, you don't need to go back too many generations to find ladies in service and tenant farmers.

Did you hear an interview with a ?12-year-old JRM rebroadcast on the Today programme? I think it was a few months ago, and was JRM discussing, as a twelve-year-old, how he 'invested' silver and other items to make money. He redefined the words 'pretentious' and 'vile' for me.

Quick Reply