The Student Room Group

Warwick vs Nottingham vs Birmingham for languages

Hi

I am year 13 student, my predicted grades are AAA for French Spanish and Geography a levels. Anyone who has done a language at any of those universities and can tell me how they have found it would be much appreciated. I am particularly interested to learn more about warwick, as academically it is excellent but the campus in the middle of nowhere seems very boring to me, which is obviously a concern.

Thanks

H
Go to Nottingham its obviously got the advantage of fun and good academic standard.

Warwick is seen as a tad more prestigious, but im not sure how relevant that is to a languages course.

Birmingham is likely also good fun, but maybe a bit more expensive then Nottingham, since its much bigger and has more people with jobs as cities over a million do. Nottingham is basically a working class city that caters to students brilliantly.
Reply 2
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Go to Nottingham its obviously got the advantage of fun and good academic standard.

Warwick is seen as a tad more prestigious, but im not sure how relevant that is to a languages course.

Birmingham is likely also good fun, but maybe a bit more expensive then Nottingham, since its much bigger and has more people with jobs as cities over a million do. Nottingham is basically a working class city that caters to students brilliantly.

Thanks for the reply. My main reservation about Warwick is that the campus seems a bit isolated, unlike Notts/Bham which are located in vibrant cities. However, my cousin also thought this about Warwick, but he did his degree there and loved it. The course is also a bit better there than the others.

Also, one thing that puts me off Birmingham, which I know is an awful thing to say, is the Brummie accent.
Original post by harveyrlgb
Thanks for the reply. My main reservation about Warwick is that the campus seems a bit isolated, unlike Notts/Bham which are located in vibrant cities. However, my cousin also thought this about Warwick, but he did his degree there and loved it. The course is also a bit better there than the others.

Also, one thing that puts me off Birmingham, which I know is an awful thing to say, is the Brummie accent.

I can't honestly argue that Warwick is the slightly better university in terms of academics, but maybe visit both? I can tell you a night out in Nottingham vs Warwick isn't really a competition, and on a languages degree, you will have alot of free time. They start you off at a very low level and don't hardly end up anywhere near native level, at university.

Further, figure out where you will be doing your year abroad and what options there are. Another good way to make a decision if the partner institution for example doesnt fit your interests geographicallly. A year abroad is generally a part of every undergrad degree at languages. Im currently on one for business, at Nottinghams Malaysia campus :smile: though not gonna lie, you wouldnt have any real advantage by going to Notts for the other campuses, one in china and one in malaysia has very little to do with french/spanish.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending