The Student Room Group

Going from C to A in a-level biology, ask me anything

Hello everyone,
I just wanted to share my experience of how I managed to overcome the challenges I faced during my time studying a-level biology to those who feel like they're currently struggling or simply want some tips on how to 'up' their grade.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Useful websites:
https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/biology-revision/
https://www.tes.com/teaching-resources/shop/studyrevolution/Biology
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

wow thats amazing , i flopped my AS biology (got a D) and i need to improve

what tips do u have for starting yr 2 strong
Reply 2
How do you manage to finish the exam in time. I always end up doing worse than my ability because I just can't hack time management.
what revision techniques did u use?
What did you do differently to get the A?
Original post by lemon27

This is the question
Reply 6
Original post by Ray_Shadows
wow thats amazing , i flopped my AS biology (got a D) and i need to improve

what tips do u have for starting yr 2 strong

Honestly, I would strongly recommend making your revision notes from the beginning of the year if you haven't been doing so already as it can save you from an awful lot of stress during exam season. Make sure you keep up to date with the AS content aswell. I personally made a timetable for the entire week where I separated a day or two to revise AS stuff I wasn't so confident with. Finally, definitely revise for class tests! Do all the practice questions and you'll be certain to ace it this year.
(edited 5 years ago)
Please can I have some advice. Currently resitting biology and need to pull.up a C to an A.
Original post by hh_vv
Honestly, I would strongly recommend making your revision notes from the beginning of the year if you haven't been doing so already as it can save you from an awful lot of stress during exam season. Make sure you keep up to date with the AS content aswell. I personally made a timetable for the entire week where I separated a day or two to revise AS stuff I wasn't so confident with. Finally, definitely revise for class tests! Do all the practice questions and you'll be certain to ace it this year.

yh that's what i've started doing , i got all my AS notes done over summer

anything else you mind sharing
Reply 9
Original post by rixu
How do you manage to finish the exam in time. I always end up doing worse than my ability because I just can't hack time management.

Quite a lot of people feel the same way! The obvious method is to constantly practice exam papers under timed conditions. First though, focus on understanding all the topics and doing all the practice questions for them. By doing this, it made me much more confident which really helps when you're trying to budget time.
Reply 10
Original post by lemon27

I tried to stay consistent as I could with my study schedule. My priority to focus on the exam questions for every topic was higher than simply memorisng large pieces of textbook information since the new exams require you to apply it more than knowing it.

A major thing I did was to use the specification, because the exam questions are purely based around them so the examiners aren't looking for anything more! I would definitely recommend you to print off a copy for your exam board and using it as a checklist for your revision. It saved me so much time and effort as most textbooks contain unnecessary information which is worth noting down.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by VictiniCup
Please can I have some advice. Currently resitting biology and need to pull.up a C to an A.

Even though it seems like it, there is no secret to getting a good grade in biology. I personally made a study timetable and stuck to it for the entire year. As soon as you've learnt a topic in class, go home and make detailed notes.Regurgitate the information the next day, and once you're fully confident attempt all past paper questions on that topic. I did this every week before finally doing the whole exam papers. Is there anything in particular you need help with?
Reply 12
Original post by Ray_Shadows
yh that's what i've started doing , i got all my AS notes done over summer

anything else you mind sharing

It depends, is there something specifc you struggle with? The maths, practical skills, applied questions?
Reply 13
Original post by astroworld
what revision techniques did u use?

I revised the content in chunks, made sure to regurgitate the information on a regular basis aswell as doing past paper questions for every topic. Moreover, I used the specification given by my exam board to base my revision notes around as the exam questions literally originate from them!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by hh_vv
Even though it seems like it, there is no secret to getting a good grade in biology. I personally made a study timetable and stuck to it for the entire year. As soon as you've learnt a topic in class, go home and make detailed notes.Regurgitate the information the next day, and once you're fully confident attempt all past paper questions on that topic. I did this every week before finally doing the whole exam papers. Is there anything in particular you need help with?

I have a plan for trying to up my grade which is to get most past papers and just focus on the terminology. How did you revise the practical stuff?
Original post by hh_vv
Hello everyone,
I just wanted to share my experience of how I managed to overcome the challenges I faced during my time studying a-level biology to those who feel like they're currently struggling or simply want some tips on how to 'up' their grade.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

i dont take bio but i take maths , further maths and feel like its really hard and i worry about not getting good grades

what would u say u did differently when u were getting C vs getting A?

how many hours do u revise a day

what other subjects did u take and what did u get?
Reply 16
Original post by Galatic
This is the question

Quite frankly, my priorities. During my AS year I just focused on making revison notes and I wasn't consistently studying until exam season. I had no idea on how to apply large chunks of information in exam papers. The changes I made included revising everyday and each day was focused on a different subject. I left homework for sundays and made sure I was doing past paper questions throughout the week aswell.
Reply 17
Original post by VictiniCup
I have a plan for trying to up my grade which is to get most past papers and just focus on the terminology. How did you revise the practical stuff?

That sounds good because biology mark schemes are really specific.
For the practicals, I made notes on the theory behind them, the basic methods and their results. Afterwards, I did some past paper questions for them. Do you want me to share some of mine?
Original post by hh_vv
That sounds good because biology mark schemes are really specific.
For the practicals, I made notes on the theory behind them, the basic methods and their results. Afterwards, I did some past paper questions for them. Do you want me to share some of mine?

If you could that.would be great. Had a look at my exam papers and the examiners are really harsh.

Mark Scheme: more closely related

Me: more common ancestor

Examiner: no mark
What would you say are the best methods for revising biology a level?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending