The Student Room Group

Teacher Training Applicants Thread 2019!

Scroll to see replies

I was so sure that I was going to take the university led route but my advisor convinced me I look at the school direct route and I actually prefer it! I'm so confused though...
Original post by thenextchemist
I was so sure that I was going to take the university led route but my advisor convinced me I look at the school direct route and I actually prefer it! I'm so confused though...

You can apply to a mixture if it helps. I'm applying for one Schools Direct option as it's got some unique advantages to that provider, and then two uni-led providers. Generally they're not too different - in the end you'll still have 120+ days in a school and the same qualification.
UCAS opens on 9th October! (Quite a bit earlier than previous years so the panic now begins)
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by doctorwhofan98
UCAS opens on 9th October! (Quite a bit earlier than previous years so the panic now begins)

omg really? ahhhh
omg really? ahhhh

I expected it to be the 25th! I emailed one referee literally yesterday asking him to do my reference by the 25th, so now I've got to correct it and hope he uses the new deadline.

My PS is virtually done but I'm nowhere near ready for interviews or Skills Tests. Excitement has turned to dread.
omg really? ahhhh

Oh and it might be worth updating your original post in this thread, making it prominent for new visitors!
Oh and it might be worth updating your original post in this thread, making it prominent for new visitors!
That's a good idea.:yes:

I expected it to be the 25th! I emailed one referee literally yesterday asking him to do my reference by the 25th, so now I've got to correct it and hope he uses the new deadline.

My PS is virtually done but I'm nowhere near ready for interviews or Skills Tests. Excitement has turned to dread.
I'm sure you'll be fine.:hugs: Have you seen this thread on QTS?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5481584
Original post by 04MR17
That's a good idea.:yes:

I'm sure you'll be fine.:hugs: Have you seen this thread on QTS?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5481584

Still a month to go fortunately, it's just a bit of a surprise! Both exciting and terrifying to think that I could have interviews in a month. And no I haven't, I'll look through it now, thanks!

thanks! I think I've done that right 🤔
thanks! I think I've done that right 🤔

It's not showing which is a bit odd, though I noticed it's changed from when you first started the thread. Don't worry if you can't get it to work, people seeing the more recent posts will get the idea.
Reply 90

oh no! i won't finish my school work experience until the 19th! Where did you see that it was opening on the 9th?
Original post by arose11
oh no! i won't finish my school work experience until the 19th! Where did you see that it was opening on the 9th?

I was told by my Premier Plus advisor (part of the government’s getting into teaching service). It was announced to them in an email late yesterday. Not sure when it’ll show up on the UCAS website but it’s definitely confirmed.

i really wouldn’t worry about a slight delay to sending your application. No course provider will have closed by then. I wouldn’t be surprised if interviews don’t start until November, if the providers are as surprised by the unprecedented early application start as my advisor was!
I presume Universities will want to see exam certificates to verify grades. Does anyone know if they will accept results slips? I took (and passed) a GCSE this summer but with the applications open from 9th October, I won't have received the certificate.
Original post by Muserock
I presume Universities will want to see exam certificates to verify grades. Does anyone know if they will accept results slips? I took (and passed) a GCSE this summer but with the applications open from 9th October, I won't have received the certificate.

As far as I know, they require certificates. However, given your situation I’d imagine they’d be fine with making an offer conditional on eventually seeing the certificates, as long as you checked with them beforehand. So I’d email the places you’re planning to apply to now and see what they say - you wouldn’t be the only one in that position I’m sure.
Reply 94
Hello!

I was under the impression that the PGCE courses don't fill up that quickly and was wondering why people are really worried about getting the application in as soon as UCAS opens?

I was going to wait to apply until November and I'm just wondering is there a legitimate reason that people are rushing? :smile:

Thanks!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by happyy
Hello!

I was under the impression that the PGCE courses don't fill up that quickly and was wondering why people are really worried about getting the application in as soon as UCAS opens?

They don't fill up particularly quickly, with maybe the exception of smaller SCITT courses that only have a handful of places per subject. Personally I'm just excited to apply as I've been looking forward to it for quite a long time and don't want to unnecessarily delay once applications are open. Other people's reasons will vary. Realistically, as long as you're applying by December you're not doing to be disadvantaged even for the smallest or most competitive courses so valid reasons for delay certainly aren't an issue - like waiting for school experience. But since applications open on the 9th, I just want to get it sent off soon after, get the interviews (or not), and have it all over with, then focus fully on third year.
Reply 96
They don't fill up particularly quickly, with maybe the exception of smaller SCITT courses that only have a handful of places per subject. Personally I'm just excited to apply as I've been looking forward to it for quite a long time and don't want to unnecessarily delay once applications are open. Other people's reasons will vary. Realistically, as long as you're applying by December you're not doing to be disadvantaged even for the smallest or most competitive courses so valid reasons for delay certainly aren't an issue - like waiting for school experience. But since applications open on the 9th, I just want to get it sent off soon after, get the interviews (or not), and have it all over with, then focus fully on third year.

Thank you for clarifying, that reasoning makes sense. It just made me slightly worried that I had to apply ASAP. I graduated in June, so I suppose i'm less busy that some of the people applying. :smile: Good luck with third year! Where are you thinking of applying to?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by happyy
Thank you for clarifying, that reasoning makes sense. It just made me slightly worried that I had to apply ASAP. I graduated in June, so I suppose i'm less busy that some of the people applying. :smile: Good luck with third year! What subject and age range are you applying for? :smile:

Definitely no need to worry! Though I can see that this thread provides the opposite impression, we're all just overly eager I think. Thanks! I'm doing a Politics degree, but I'm applying for Primary (3-7) courses. I had no idea what kind of career I wanted so did some volunteering with Year 7 in first year, unexpectedly enjoyed it, and more or less worked my way down to Reception and realised that was the place to be! You're applying for Secondary Chemistry right? My housemate does a Chemistry degree and it honestly looks like the most impossible course of all time, so I'm in awe of it really.
Reply 98
Definitely no need to worry! Though I can see that this thread provides the opposite impression, we're all just overly eager I think. Thanks! I'm doing a Politics degree, but I'm applying for Primary (3-7) courses. I had no idea what kind of career I wanted so did some volunteering with Year 7 in first year, unexpectedly enjoyed it, and more or less worked my way down to Reception and realised that was the place to be! You're applying for Secondary Chemistry right? My housemate does a Chemistry degree and it honestly looks like the most impossible course of all time, so I'm in awe of it really.

Yes I am! To be honest, it's easier than it looks and everything is super logical in chemistry, that's why I love it. A natural ability ( + 20 hours in the library some weekends) got me my first :smile: It's like a language, from the outside it looks CRAZY but once you know a few keywords it's completely doable.

I had my first day of experience yesterday, I taught a maths lesson and was a TA for the rest of the day. I really enjoyed it and the teacher who observed me gave me positive feedback. It's really given me the confidence to go for secondary. I was slightly worried about the teenagers, but the ones yesterday really wanted me to do well and were wonderful (they were year 10). :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by happyy
Yes I am! To be honest, it's easier than it looks and everything is super logical in chemistry, that's why I love it. A natural ability ( + 20 hours in the library some weekends) got me my first :smile: It's like a language, from the outside it looks CRAZY but once you know a few keywords it's completely doable.

I had my first day of experience yesterday, I taught a maths lesson and was a TA for the rest of the day. I really enjoyed it and the teacher who observed me gave me positive feedback. It's really given me the confidence to go for secondary. I was slightly worried about the teenagers, but the ones yesterday really wanted me to do well and were wonderful. :smile:

Glad to know it's not as impossible as it looks! I appreciated my course's assessment through essays quite a bit more after seeing her Chemistry worksheets. And it's great that your experience has started off so well, I'm sure it'll only get better as you get to know the cohorts! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending