The Student Room Group

Any tips for medicine? Thanks

Hi!

I'm starting my medicine degree next month and was wondering if anyone has a few tips for when I get there (I'm off to Oxford).

I'd be grateful for anything anyone can offer regarding studying, daily life or any little tricks that made the difference for you.

Think I'm just excited to be honest and want to talk about it! XD
If you're off to Oxford, you're obviously already a self-motivated, studious person. You will quickly fall into a habit of study that works for you on your own.

But the biggest thing that will make a difference to your time at university is if you're happy. Make sure you enjoy Fresher's week, join some societies, make medic and non-medic friends, and look after yourself. These things made a much bigger difference to my time at university than specific study strategies or textbooks!
Hmm...

Enjoy the opportunties you get at uni/Oxford is probably my biggest one. Once you start work you'll not be able to do take that long trip or take up that obscure sport or what have you. Make the most of it.
Learn to not mind being not the best in the year. You might even be among the worst - that's ok, if you are ok with it. Your goals are your own.
Make friends with medics from other colleges by going to inviting formal halls and stuff - its fun.
It is university and students/tutors will often teach/learn for interest rather than for exams... but there is still a syllabus and it exists for a reason and revising to it will make exams easier.
The medics in the year above are probably your best help if you are having problems with something. They've literally just done what you are doing and will have an entirely student perspective, something tutors sometimes can't provide.
Oxford handbook of medical sciences is basically the syllabus written out and explained for you - buy it.
^ That should be the only book you buy though. I really wouldn't be tempted to buy more - the libraries (RSL or college) should be able to provide all you need. Plus the internet is better anyway.
Don't think you can pick a speciality based on its theory alone.
Have fun. Same as the first one, but so important I'll say it twice.
Original post by Stegosaurus99
No no Robert Wilkins was the main author to the oxford handbook of medical sciences. I bought the oxford handbook

Oh right - good job then!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending