The Student Room Group

Which supplements to take at University

Hello all,

I'm about to go into my fourth year and I'm wondering which nutritional supplements people take at university?

Personally, I always have L-Tyrosine, 5HTP, multivitamins and vitamin C powder around. I also use brainzyme when I have deadlines or exams.

What do you guys take?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by joeseo
Hello all,

I'm about to go into my fourth year and I'm wondering which nutritional supplements people take at university?

Personally, I always have L-Tyrosine, 5HTP, multivitamins and vitamin C powder around. I also use brainzyme when I have deadlines or exams.

What do you guys take?

Idk what half the supplements you're taking are but I usually take multivitamins, a probiotic and in winter I'll sometimes take some extra vitamin D tablets. Otherwise I try to eat half decently and sleep well.
Reply 2
Original post by Fujoshi
Idk what half the supplements you're taking are but I usually take multivitamins, a probiotic and in winter I'll sometimes take some extra vitamin D tablets. Otherwise I try to eat half decently and sleep well.

Tyrosine and 5-HTP are amino acids and are the building blocks for dopamine and serotinin respectively.

Brainzyme is a stack that helps you concentrate, focus and gives you energy.

Ah, good shout with the vitamin D! I forgot about that, but I usually do the same (the winters can be very dark here in Scotland!).
I take multivitamins, vitamin B, vitamin D and iron supplements :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Leviathan1741
I take multivitamins, vitamin B, vitamin D and iron supplements :smile:

Nice! Do you have an iron deficiency or do you just find they help you feel better?
Original post by joeseo
Nice! Do you have an iron deficiency or do you just find they help you feel better?

I find that I feel less tired when I take them, though I don't have an iron deficiency. I do have vitamin D deficiency though which I am trying to sort out with the supplements :smile:
Original post by joeseo
Hello all,

What do you guys take?

How's brainzyme going for you? Mine arrived today and I swallowed a couple of capsules half an hour ago and I'm wondering what I should expect
Original post by joeseo
Hello all,

What do you guys take?

What a waste of money. Unless you don't actually eat anything, these supplements are entirely unnecessary. For instance, you do realise you're just pissing the Vitamin C away, don't you? Literally.
Reply 8
Original post by AzzyArslan
How's brainzyme going for you? Mine arrived today and I swallowed a couple of capsules half an hour ago and I'm wondering what I should expect

I love them - been taking them for about 6 months now for both university and work.

Which ones did you get as the effects differ?

Professional makes you just want to focus whereas Elite makes you feel nice and contented to do work.

The trick with them is to drink loads of water.

How are you finding them so far?
U don't need supplements it's a waste if money. Just eat fruit and vegetables and all I can recommend is creatine but that's about it
Reply 10
Original post by TheYearNiner
U don't need supplements it's a waste if money. Just eat fruit and vegetables and all I can recommend is creatine but that's about it

You get significantly fewer nutrients from fruit and veg these days than even 20 years ago so for some people it is worth it.
Original post by joeseo
You get significantly fewer nutrients from fruit and veg these days than even 20 years ago so for some people it is worth it.

According to who? Its a myth
Reply 12
Original post by joeseo
Hello all,

What do you guys take?

Coke usually, and MDMA on nights out
I really love the supplements industry. They are masters of separating fools from their money.

BrainZyme is a new one on me. Scientifically formulated. Claims to improve concentration and mental energy. Works within the hour. Sounds a lot like caffeine, which of course it contains.
Reply 14
5HTP is a good one, but probably for a different reason than you.
Reply 15
Original post by TheYearNiner
According to who? Its a myth

According to pretty much everyone who has done a study on it...

"What a dilemma we have found ourselves in. Research from all over the world has demonstrated the reality of the loss of micronutrients from our foods and provides evidence that micronutrient deficiencies significantly undermine our health, contributing towards chronic physiological and psychological illnesses in people of all ages."

http://www.mineralresourcesint.co.uk/pdf/Mineral_Depletion_of_Foods_1940_2002.pdf
Reply 16
Original post by xDron3
5HTP is a good one, but probably for a different reason than you.

I'm guessing not - I'm sure I can tell what you use it for from your picture.
I just take iron tablets (I've been anaemic for years, and this just about keeps my levels up) and a multi vitamin. I don't even know if the multi vitamin does anything, but it's only cheap so I take one every morning. I know for a fact the iron tablets work though. Sometimes I forget to buy more so have to have a couple of days without until I go and get some, and I can honestly tell the difference in my tiredness.
I don't take any supplements. I just make sure to eat a healthy diet with plenty of ingredients that contain everything I need. Unless you have a medical need for supplements (like anaemia and you need iron tablets) I don't see the need for them.
I take dihydrogen monoxide (DHMO). It's best after exercising, but I'll usually try and take some every few hours.

Quick Reply

Latest