The Student Room Group

How should I organise my notes during university?

Is ring binder still the best way to go? For a History degree

What about just having a notepad and writing all my notes in the notepad?

What did you do?
Three threads? Really? Not super at all.
Original post by 999tigger
Three threads? Really? Not super at all.

I only posted 1 thread...

Where is your eye of the tiger? :tongue:
I don't do History, but a somewhat comparable, essay-based course (Politics). I use OneNote on my laptop for lecture notes, and notes on readings for seminars/assessment. It means everything's searchable and in one place - I create a separate notebook for each year of the degree, then section groups for each module, and then sections for 'Lectures', 'Seminars', and 'Assessment' within that. Example: https://i.imgur.com/2OnsQ5s.png

If you want to use paper than maybe a folder or ring binder per module would work, but if you're considering using a computer, then OneNote is the best software I've encountered (I rely on Word for assignments though as OneNote just isn't designed for that).
Depends on your style of learning. During lectures, I will usually made notes in a notebook and then wrote them out neatly on paper and put them in a folder (one folder per module). Writing them out helps me to retain any info learnt and normally I don't learn well from reading from a screen.

A lot of people find making and keeping notes on a tablet or laptop easier and saves space.
Original post by SuperHuman98
I only posted 1 thread...

Where is your eye of the tiger? :tongue:

Where are your reading glasses? Their name is tigger. Two Gs.
Reply 6
I did a History degree and had a seperate notepad for each module so i could find exactly what i wanted when it came to essays. I'm now doing a History PGCE and have adopted the same method.
Original post by doctorwhofan98
I don't do History, but a somewhat comparable, essay-based course (Politics). I use OneNote on my laptop for lecture notes, and notes on readings for seminars/assessment. It means everything's searchable and in one place - I create a separate notebook for each year of the degree, then section groups for each module, and then sections for 'Lectures', 'Seminars', and 'Assessment' within that. Example: https://i.imgur.com/2OnsQ5s.png

If you want to use paper than maybe a folder or ring binder per module would work, but if you're considering using a computer, then OneNote is the best software I've encountered (I rely on Word for assignments though as OneNote just isn't designed for that).

To add to this, the search function on onenote is insane. It recognises your handwriting and you can search for the stupidest stuff and it will find every single time you scribbled those words down.
Reply 8
I just used notepads. Still do. Old fashioned.
Original post by Notoriety
Where are your reading glasses? Their name is tigger. Two Gs.

Yeah I know, couldn’t think of a joke for the word tigger
Original post by Kanae
I did a History degree and had a seperate notepad for each module so i could find exactly what i wanted when it came to essays. I'm now doing a History PGCE and have adopted the same method.

Thanks I think I’ll just do this. What did you do with printed out essays, sheets. Did you have a whole pinched notebook so you added treasury tags?

hope my question makes sense
Reply 11
Original post by SuperHuman98
Thanks I think I’ll just do this. What did you do with printed out essays, sheets. Did you have a whole pinched notebook so you added treasury tags?

hope my question makes sense

I put them in a labelled a4 ringbinder if they weren't going to be relevant in the near future or would staple them into the notebook if they were for essays

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending