The Student Room Group

people who got A/A* in alevel economics,

how did you do it
Original post by lolu123
how did you do it

Essay after essay after essay, but make sure someone will mark them bc there’s no point doing them if you don’t know what you need to improve- check out tutor2u as well- their resources are a flipping god send
Reply 2
Original post by lolu123
how did you do it

I won't lie to you, an A* in econ is tough. I was deeply interested in the subject matter and still in shock when I attained that result. My advice is to do countless essays and familiarise yourself with the [point, analysis, application, evaluation] structure. Make the GCP guide your friend. Make sure you have a ready supply of current economic facts for application (which you'll subconsciously store if you're interested in econ). Moreover, I recommend econplusdal for up-to-date last minute economic info. Btw, for most econ courses your maths grade is more important but for the better programs/recruitment a good econ a level shows a deeper level of economic/financial interest, so give it due focus.

LMK if there's anything else you need.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Ak4753
I won't lie to you, an A* in econ is tough. I was deeply interested in the subject matter and still in shock when I attained that result. My advice is to do countless essays and familiarise yourself with the [point, analysis, application, evaluation] structure. Make the GCP guide your friend. Make sure you have a ready supply of current economic facts for application (which you'll subconsciously store if you're interested in econ). Moreover, I recommend econplusdal for up-to-date last minute economic info. Btw, for most econ courses your maths grade is more important but for the better programs/recruitment a good econ a level shows a deeper level of economic/financial interest, so give it due focus.

LMK if there's anything else you need.

Thanks for your advice
Can you name the difficulties in economics and is the cgp that great.At gcse it was a bit childish
Reply 4
Original post by mathsnerd49
Essay after essay after essay, but make sure someone will mark them bc there’s no point doing them if you don’t know what you need to improve- check out tutor2u as well- their resources are a flipping god send

where can i find essay questions
Reply 5
Original post by lolu123
Thanks for your advice
Can you name the difficulties in economics and is the cgp that great.At gcse it was a bit childish

CGP is just a tool--depends on how you use it. However, it does condense the vast range of topics into the essentials, unlike the useless aqa textbook which can unnecessarily overcomplicate things.

The main difficulty is being concise within the time allocated. All ties back to liking the subject. If you like the subject, you'll put the effort into understanding it better and will end up understanding it better (assuming you're reasonably smart). If you understand it better, your work won't need to be unnecessarily long and waffly.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by lolu123

Physics & Maths Tutour. It's a website
Reply 7
Original post by Ak4753
CGP is just a tool--depends on how you use it. However, it does condense the vast range of topics into the essentials, unlike the useless aqa textbook which can unnecessarily overcomplicate things.

The main difficulty is being concise within the time allocated. All ties back to liking the subject. If you like the subject, you'll understand it better (assuming you're reasonably smart). If you understand it better, your work won't need to be unnecessarily long and waffly.

How did you revise using cgp book?
Essays, the specification, wider reading relevant to the course (real world examples).
Reply 9
Original post by lolu123
How did you revise using cgp book?

The main way I revised was through the creation of detailed notes on each part of the syllabus. The CGP book allowed me to "make notes off notes" if that makes sense. As a result, I had a condensed notebook of the essentials to go over weeks to the exam (with sample answers and everything).
Reply 10
Original post by Ak4753
The main way I revised was through the creation of detailed notes on each part of the syllabus. The CGP book allowed me to "make notes off notes" if that makes sense. As a result, I had a condensed notebook of the essentials to go over weeks to the exam (with sample answers and everything).

did you make like flash cards or like actual note taking
Original post by lolu123

If you go on the tutor2u website and into their shop they have books full of example essays but you can find the essay titles in each book from the info on the book without buying it! I used a lot of these and any essay title from any exam board- sometimes I changed them to match current news so an essay title about a new London airport changed to expanding Heathrow etc
Reply 12
Original post by lolu123
did you make like flash cards or like actual note taking

I used notes; some of my friends used flashcards. I like detailed notes because I'm (usually) able to memorize info on academic areas I like relatively seamlessly. However, If there are any memory issues, I think it's best to use colour-coated flash cards.
Reply 13
Original post by mathsnerd49
If you go on the tutor2u website and into their shop they have books full of example essays but you can find the essay titles in each book from the info on the book without buying it! I used a lot of these and any essay title from any exam board- sometimes I changed them to match current news so an essay title about a new London airport changed to expanding Heathrow etc

is there app you can read about economics
following !! just started year 12 and want to do econ in uni , also aiming for A/A* !

i havent learnt much about the course so i cant starrt essays and i dont even know what you have to write for them , i'm interested in some example essays to have a look if anyone has some please x
Reply 15
Original post by Presence
following !! just started year 12 and want to do econ in uni , also aiming for A/A* !

i havent learnt much about the course so i cant starrt essays and i dont even know what you have to write for them , i'm interested in some example essays to have a look if anyone has some please x

To what extent does lower unemployment result in higher living standards? (a weak but recent one)
I am doing CIE A level economics and the marking e\scheme is very v\brief and not detailed, I struggled a lot putting what I have studied into words and also finish my essay within the time allocated. I am currently doing an analysis and some motes on every titles based on past years, what else can I do?

Quick Reply

Latest