The Student Room Group

RAF OASC 11th March 2018

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Drewski
Not that hard. They're all solvable, it's just the time limit placed on you (during IOT we went back into the hangar for some exercises and were told how they're completed).

It's the way you attempt them that matters, not the result.

I would love to find out how mine was solvable - still baffles me. I bet it was quite interesting going back over them all with a fresh mind/lack of stress. Hope your IOT went well :smile:
Original post by ARF17
I would love to find out how mine was solvable - still baffles me. I bet it was quite interesting going back over them all with a fresh mind/lack of stress. Hope your IOT went well :smile:

Which one was it?

And yeah.... No stress on IOT at all...:rolleyes:

Put it this way; OASC is the easiest thing you'll do.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by ARF17
I found the group planning exercise harder than the individual - probably intended that way.
I bought a planning exercises kindle book by Richard McMunn from amazon which contains 8 planning exercises to practice with, I found it useful and I did the individual planning exercise really easily and had a plan that worked well.
They do throw in some 'scenarios' such as weather report with a storm coming in, how does this affect your plan? Car crashes on ice, how does this affect your plan? They're harder on this in the group exercise which is good as you can discuss as a group, and by the end we had a plan A for if all goes to plan, good weather etc. with arrival timings, and a plan B for adverse weather or avoiding certain mountainous areas/bad roads and arrival timings for that too.

Yeah a friend previously done oasc and gave me that book! I’ve worked through them and my answers weren’t far off the solutions given which I can only assume is a positive (although I know there are many solutions) - will just keep practicing my SDT and all should be fine! Thanks!!
Reply 23
Original post by Ln0405
Yeah a friend previously done oasc and gave me that book! I’ve worked through them and my answers weren’t far off the solutions given which I can only assume is a positive (although I know there are many solutions) - will just keep practicing my SDT and all should be fine! Thanks!!

That's exactly what I did for preparation and all was fine :smile: Best of luck!
The one thing I took away from it was to just read every single sentence and take on board that all the information is relevant, I still managed to miss one tiny sentence which flawed my plan, but they point these out to you and allow you to change your plan. The individual planning is also the last part of a very mentally tiring day so most people make a mistake or 2 :smile:
I'm at oasc on the 17th April anyone near there?
Original post by K9xEm
Hi!

Is anyone on here attending OASC on March 11th?, would be nice to introduce ourselves before we go!

Hi mate, yes I'm attending on 11th March!
Reply 26
Original post by ChampKind
Hi mate, yes I'm attending on 11th March!

Finally haha! You feeling all prepared, nerves are kicking in now. Where you travelling from?
Yes feel ready just want to get it done now! I'm only travelling from Lincoln I am currently serving at RAF Waddington so going for internal commission. No nerves yet but certainly occupying my mind a lot! Are you traveling far? how's your preparation? Any burning issues?
Reply 28
How did everyone get on at OASC (11th March)?
Reply 29
Hi, just a quick question for anyone that’s been to oasc recently, do you have another pass or fail medical when you are there, as on some threads I’ve read that you do and others you don’t?
Also anyone that’s done IOT recently, do you have a pass or fail medical within IOT?
Thanks!
Original post by Ftilley
Hi, just a quick question for anyone that’s been to oasc recently, do you have another pass or fail medical when you are there, as on some threads I’ve read that you do and others you don’t?
Also anyone that’s done IOT recently, do you have a pass or fail medical within IOT?
Thanks!

If you are applying to an aircrew role, there is a full Aircrew medical you must undertake on day 2. This includes measurments, bloods and ECG.

For all candidates there is a pass/fail fitness test, also on day 2. Although it is pass/fail, it should be completed on “best effort” and may be used to serpate you from other candidates, every bit of effort counts.
Reply 31
Original post by TheYehman
If you are applying to an aircrew role, there is a full Aircrew medical you must undertake on day 2. This includes measurments, bloods and ECG.

For all candidates there is a pass/fail fitness test, also on day 2. Although it is pass/fail, it should be completed on “best effort” and may be used to serpate you from other candidates, every bit of effort counts.

I’m going for police officer, so guessing my only medical will be my capita medical? Have you completed IOT, is there a pass fail medical within IOT?
Original post by Ftilley
I’m going for police officer, so guessing my only medical will be my capita medical? Have you completed IOT, is there a pass fail medical within IOT?

For the joining process I believe that is the only medical you will have. When I was at OASC the only guys who had to have extra medicals were aircrew applicants. I haven't! Just missed out on a slot (Thats why I made a point of the fitness, when it came down to it that was one of the factors that let me down).So Im not sure about IOT medicals. Im sure once you're in, its more the fitness side you have to keep up with. There are medicals, Ive seen the timetable. But nothing that would then get you struck off if you passed the capita one during selection (Im guessing?! Otherwise it would be pointless going by the capita one right?!)

If you want any pointers, or have any other questions about OASC then let me know!
Reply 33
For the joining process I believe that is the only medical you will have. When I was at OASC the only guys who had to have extra medicals were aircrew applicants. I haven't! Just missed out on a slot (Thats why I made a point of the fitness, when it came down to it that was one of the factors that let me down).So Im not sure about IOT medicals. Im sure once you're in, its more the fitness side you have to keep up with. There are medicals, Ive seen the timetable. But nothing that would then get you struck off if you passed the capita one during selection (Im guessing?! Otherwise it would be pointless going by the capita one right?!)

If you want any pointers, or have any other questions about OASC then let me know!

That’s really useful to know thanks! Yes if you don’t mind I will, I have my capita medical t I pass first. I’ve failed it previous but have letters from the docs now confirming I’m good to go, so hopefully will pass this time. That’s why I’m so conscious of how many medicals there is, I just have a fear that capita will say yes, I’ll got to IOT they’ll see medical notes and say nope see you later.
HI! I have my OASC next month and I was just wondering if you're allowed to take a calculator to use for the planning exercises? Maths isn't my strong point, don't get me wrong I know what to do I just don't trust myself that my answers will be right every time!
Reply 35
Original post by realtashabates
HI! I have my OASC next month and I was just wondering if you're allowed to take a calculator to use for the planning exercises? Maths isn't my strong point, don't get me wrong I know what to do I just don't trust myself that my answers will be right every time!

Hi, how long did it take from your medical for you to receive your oasc date?
Original post by realtashabates

You aren't allowed calculators. Try Speeddistancetime.org if you haven't already!

Tom
Original post by Ftilley
Hi, how long did it take from your medical for you to receive your oasc date?

Should take a few weeks after your medical appointment providing everything went through straight away. I think mine was around 3.
Should take a few weeks after your medical appointment providing everything went through straight away. I think mine was around 3.

Jumping on this, how long after receiving your date was OASC? Just wondering how long I have roughly to prepare, thanks!
Original post by dannyoboy007
Jumping on this, how long after receiving your date was OASC? Just wondering how long I have roughly to prepare, thanks!

Rougly a month and a half I think.

Quick Reply

Latest